Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Altering cards... unethical? UPDATE! went for it :D
Question 
Altering cards... unethical? UPDATE! went for it :D
Hi guys, a question I have been thinking about for a while. Wondering what your thoughts are.

In short: is it ok to remove sticker autos or material from existing cards and use it for other purposes?

The background: I have four very low-value cards that I am unlikely to sell or use in any way and have no particular affinity with. Here they are:

[Image: fourcards.jpg]

I am thinking of making better looking custom cards (IMO) to put the sticker autos and materials on, to kind of experiment with making that sort of cards. Not for commercial purposes, not for misleading others, just for personal enjoyment.

The quandry: is it ethical to destroy existing cards? Is it only when they're serial numbered or either way? How low-numbered would it have to be to be considered unacceptable? Are there ANY ethics towards the way cards should be handled? Is destroying cards like described above similar to hoarding as both alter the card's availability on the market? Would you find it a breach of ethics if -say- a non-AU low-S# card were to be signed in-person?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

RE: Altering cards... unethical?
Hmmmm I don't think ethics should be called into question unless you had dishonest intentions with the alterations. They are your cards you should be able to do whatever you want with them as long as it is for your personal benefit. Honestly, I would love to see the end result, you make some great customs.

Really I don't think it should matter whether it is a Mookie Blaylock /2000 or a Lebron James 1/1, I might not agree with destroying a beautiful card but not because of ethics. It's your property to do with as you please.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

It is for your PC and not for sale so I see no issue here.

You own the card, it's your property to do with as you please. But if you alter cards for the sake of selling it to make more money then that is an entirely different conundrum! And you make cool custom cards, GO FOR IT.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

i had a "friend" WHO sent me some nice pierce Cards,but he had written 1 of 1 on them,so they were worthless.avoid doing stuff like that-you are more than welcome to sent me some cars you consider low valueSmile

Making them for yourself? No problems.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Glad you kind of think along the same lines as I do.

Some random related thoughts on this:

remember the shirt Chris of the Hobby Box made out of swatches?

If reusing a swatch is potentially unethical, imagine chopping up an authentic jersey to make swatches...

I'll probably start overhaulin' these cards tomorrow Smile

mouschi3 does a lot of custom card making and posts in the Baseball forum a lot. Looks like images aren't loading correctly right now but he's done some very cool work IMHO.

Search for all his threads and take a look.

RE: Altering cards... unethical? UPDATE! went for it :D
OK, well I went for it. I thought I'd start off with the Hummel which looked easiest and is least valuable. Everything went fine until it came to putting the sticker onto the custom card. It simply had lost its adherence when I took the sticker off the original card. I imagine it's a security kind of thing to prevent the stickers from being... altered. See below, bummer.

[Image: 2014-08-26235344s.jpg]

BUT!!

The jersey card of Calderon came out sah-weeett!!! It was definitely worth it destroying the original considering the final result. Hope you guys like it too! In a couple of days I will have edited the recording and will post it here on the boards.
[Image: caldes.jpg]

RE: Altering cards... unethical? UPDATE! went for it :D
Man those "altered" cards look great man! I think this was a great idea for your personal collection and passion for creating custom cards! Congrats on a great looking design!

[Image: Nick.jpg]