`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A few questions for multiple player PC collectors out there

A few questions for multiple player PC collectors out there
I basically collect 4 players which is probably insane but I cant help myself lol. I think the toughest part is missing out on good prices because you already spent your budget on something else. How do you decide between 2 rare cards or 3 or 4 of them knowing if you buy 1 you miss out on 3? Just brutal!

Ive been focusing on Lamar Miller and Zach Thomas lately which has killed my progress on my Marino PC. Ive been waiting to hit 1900 unique cards for what feels like forever. I only have 30 or so Ryan Tannehills as well and he has been in the league now going on 3 years!!!

Have you ever collected a PC player by strict rules? ie only autos, only #'d stuff, only mem cards, etc. Did you find this helpful or hurtful?

How many members collect multiple players and how many do you collect? Im talking on an obsessive level as well lol.

How do you cope with defeats or missed opportunities especially on the tough ones perhaps even 1/1s?

Im intrigued and anxious to hear what others go through on daily basis.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

RE: A few questions for multiple player PC collectors out there
I'll try to answer the best I can …

Obviously I collect pretty much any Dolphins….. but I mostly search out

Daniel Thomas
Dion Jordan
Ryan Tannehill
Dan Marino
Jamar Taylor
Any Phins 1/1

and Recently added Jarvis Landry

So thats 7 PC's lol….. Heres what I do…. I usually pass on the Marino's …. His value's aren't really going up and odds are I can get it later for around the same price (unless its really rare)….

Daniel Thomas stuff is pretty cheap …. even the Rarer high End stuff and I don't really have much competition for his stuff except from phins collectors and set builders … so I can let his cards ride in my watch list foe a while….

Dion Jordan…. Slowed down on him because I'm mad at him …lol but I usually buy the rarer stuff unless its something I really like

Tannehill… Im really picky anyway with his stuff….. so I buy his stuff at a slower pace unless a good deal pops up…..

Jamar Taylor is just for fun …..

Landry … just started

Dolphins 1/1's …. this allows me to collect any player

But in reality they are all part of the COLLECTIVE PHINS PC … so if I miss out on something other than a Daniel Thomas I'm not really that disappointed because it's all part of one giant PC anyway…lol

Hope that makes some sense!

as far as rules about autos / jersey stuff? …. I try not to buy single color or crap autos unless in lots or really cheap locally…. that lets me keep $ for the good stuff

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

same boat OP.

I PC Lynch, some Turbin, Wilson, and RG3 (not as much into RG3 and Wilson), but just want some of their autos lately since prices are cheaper than regular season.

For Lynch, I am trying to complete his true RC and am only missing about 5.

I look for cards of his that I know I want/need (low serial, multi color patch, etc). People aren't that into Lynch at this time so I can get his stuff whenever my budget allows me.

Turbin is same as Lynch, but not as much into him as I'm watching him in the preseason to see if I invest more or just hold stock.

Wilson and RG3 are where I spend my $$. I look for lower serial'd #'s, look for best offers on ebay and try to haggle with em to get the best price I can. Sounds bad, but it's paid off for me a lot.

I snagged a 2012 Strata Wilson that books for 2.5 times what I got it for and seller was a great person to work with.

Best RG3 I got was an elite inscription green ink /10 that cost be around $140 (broke my budget for the month), but only 10 exist, and well I wanted it.

I'm now attempting to chase the other 2 colors of his elite inscriptions, and can find those with time.

I guess to answer your question. I'm an impulse type buyer. If I see the card and know only "x" exist, I may say yes to that card knowing I will lose out on some other more cheaper cards, but it's what makes me happy when I look at my PC.

If there are 2 cards I really need to get I'll sell something on another site to make up the funds to get the cards.

I've lost a few great PC cards due to selling last month to get some of the cards that I got last month, but I can replace the ones I got rid of as they weren't that low #'d,.

And in reality, it's a hobby and buying/flipping is part of the fun to me now at this stage.
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

I only collect Hartline and run into the, "buy this one instead of these ones" problem. Gotta have a lot of patience and $$ for multiple PC guys. But if I did, you would almost have to rank them, then from there if you buy for #1 then that's it, if not, start going down the ranks until you reach a budget.

Speaking of obsessive...I collect a whole bunch of guys lol. QB's: Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Brett Favre, and want to add autos of some of my other favorites as well as Scott Tolzien. RB's I collect Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin, Montee Ball, James White, and some other favorites. WR's I collect Jordy Nelson and Jared Abbrederis, along with autos of other favorites. On Def, J.J. Watt, Vontaze Burfict, Tyrann Mathieu, Casey Hayward, Nick Collins, and want to add some Clowney as well.
I was super collecting Franklin, but with the injury and retirement, I decided not too. I'm just doing some sets of his that I had already started, and picking up 1/1's. I'm kinda waiting on him for the prices to come down as some sellers still want top rookie prices for his cards.
Rodgers, I pick up when I can, and mostly try to work on sets that I like...
Wilson I stick to mostly Badger stuff.
Favre is way more affordable to collect, so I hope to gradually get all of his packers cards.
Scott Tolzien because of his hometown connections, and others just for fun.
Montee Ball, sets and Badger stuff, etc. The same for each player basically.
I'd love to super collect someone, but I don't have just one player that I like that much. Rodgers maybe, but I'd never be able to afford most of his cards, not to mention he's up over like 40k cards (just a guess lol).
I kinda just go on kicks...I work on one guy or set for awhile, and when I get bored, I go to another. I do try to grab 1/1's whenever they are available, but on a limited budget, it's a rarity that I can get each one that pops up. I don't view it as the end of the world if I miss out.
My collections may never be the most impressive, and I may have to knock my collections down some lol, but I enjoy collecting multiple guys for various reasons.
My favorite brands to go for rainbows are Absolute, some Bowman, Crown Royale, Inception, this years Topps Prime Booklets, Playbook, Prizm, and Valor. It's fun! Smile
Is there something wrong with me for collecting so many players? lol

As far as specific players, I like to collect Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck cards. But I've also though about doing a PC for Russell Wilson, Larry Fitzgerald and T.Y. Hilton. It takes some patience and effort to make a good PC without breaking the bank. For me, I know it's expensive to pick up a Peyton Manning auto when I could easily use that money on a good hobby box. So I started collecting mid-high end parallel base cards and jerseys for my PC for now. But, I do have a plan each year to save up and buy an auto card of one player and then do it again next year for the next player. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a specific Russell Wilson card during his rookie year for under $30 at the time.

It's been awhile since I collected the Detroit Lions. I watched Charlie Batch, Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton, Chris Claiborne, Robert Porcher card values go right down the tubes.

I wish I would of spent the money on Barry Sanders instead of buying low print Batch, Moore, Etc. However it's cool ripping out a box and looking at cool versions of cards with the wrong player on it! LOL!

My responses below are in caps (I am not yelling at anybody).

Have you ever collected a PC player by strict rules? ie only autos, only #'d stuff, only mem cards, etc. Did you find this helpful or hurtful?

THE ONLY RULE I HAVE FOR MYSELF IS TO COLLECT ITEMS OF PLAYERS THAT I DEEM LEGITIMATE COLLECTIBLES, WHETHER OR NOT IT IS AUTOGRAPHED, CONTAINS A SWATCH OR WHATEVER. I ALLOCATE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY TO MY CARD SPENDING HABITS EACH MONTH. I WILL MAKE EXCEPTIONS THOUGH TO CARDS WITH LOW PRINT RUNS AT A REASONABLE PRICE EVEN IF I ALREADY REACHED MY PERSONAL SPENDING LIMIT.

How many members collect multiple players and how many do you collect? Im talking on an obsessive level as well lol.

TECHNICALLY I THINK THE NUMBER IS 244 NOW, HOWEVER I CURRENTLY FOCUS ON FIVE PLAYERS WITH VARYING DEGREES.

How do you cope with defeats or missed opportunities especially on the tough ones perhaps even 1/1s?

THERE ARE NUMEROUS EXAMPLES OF CARDS LISTED ONLINE, 1/1S IN PARTICULAR, THAT I WANTED TO PURCHASE PREVIOUSLY BUT DID NOT DUE TO AN ASKING PRICE THAT I DID NOT FIND REASONABLE. I HAVE MY OWN PERSONAL SPENDING LIMIT THAT I ATTACH TO EACH INDIVIDUAL CARD. I ACCEPT THE FACT THAT I WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER OWN EVERY CARD OF A CERTAIN PLAYER. I APPROACH COLLECTING LIKE A HITTER WHO VIEWS HIS BATTING AVERAGE. NO ONE WILL EVER BAT A 1.000 BUT ONE CAN HAVE REALISTIC GOALS CONCERNING PERCENTAGE OWNERSHIP.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I collect Denard Robinson and Patrick Willis and will try to snatch up anything I don't already have. I only buy autos or really nice jersey patches off of ebay because unless you get a lot of basics or inserts from the same seller you over pay because shipping will kill you. I try to do a lot of basics and inserts by trading with people on here or picking them up at local card shows. I will also pick up any nice 49er or Michigan Wolverine cards that catch my eye by my main focus stays just on Robinson and Willis.

Marino - don't do parallels unless super cheap. Don't collect auto cards with photos that appear on base cards. Don't collect college auto's, unless EXTREMELY cool to me.

Sam Madison - Nothing new ever pops up, and if it does, its less than $5

Patrick Surtain - Nothing new ever pops up, and if it does, its less than $5

Carlos Perez - Nothing new ever pops up, and if it does, its less than $5

Karim Abdul Jabbar - Very strict on what I will buy of him. Its a balance between cool and cheap and "why not, I haven't bought anything lately" He's in a lot of the really cool sets from 1997-1999, so it can get pricey for a common card in my eyes. I splurged on the Certified NFL Logo 1/1, but still haven't picked up one of the multicolored options for $15. Heck, it took forever to splurge on a Certified Mirror Red Premium Stock /20 RC for $20.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.