`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodgertown, Vero Beach, FL

Dodgertown, Vero Beach, FL
Vacationing with the family this week at Disney Vero Beach Resort. Dodgertown, Vero Beach was the old spring training home of the Brooklyn Dodgers!
Here are some photos the Disney people have on display.
[Image: null_zps22f195fa.jpg]
[Image: null_zps60ae139f.jpg]
[Image: null_zps67882a19.jpg]
[Image: null_zps546cef55.jpg]
[Image: null_zps6370dd21.jpg]
[Image: null_zpsea7f8c60.jpg]
[Image: null_zpsb25a46cf.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Dodgertown, Vero Beach, FL
My college baseball days with Gallaudet University from 2008-12 spent our spring break at Vero beach and played about 5-7 games per break. Gotta love their campus. So Vintage and such. I pitched at least a game every year and always had that goosebumps knowing all of big pitchers had pitch on that mound.

Best,
Danny

My son's team played a tournament there Memorial Day Weekend this past summer and it was a great experience!
Thanks,
- Steve

Gloves sure have changed, haven't they?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-05-2014, 09:02 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Gloves sure have changed, haven't they?
Ya'think? Maybe just a slightly bigger Wink

It's amazing to me that isn't taken into account when they compare old school batting averages with more modern players. Some guys today play with a Jai-alai Cessna sized glove and catch things that are a foot and a half over their normal reach. I'm sure Ty Cobb's batting average would have been a few dozen points lower had the mitts of today been used against him in the early 1900s.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-05-2014, 05:10 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Ya'think? Maybe just a slightly bigger Wink

It's amazing to me that isn't taken into account when they compare old school batting averages with more modern players. Some guys today play with a Jai-alai Cessna sized glove and catch things that are a foot and a half over their normal reach. I'm sure Ty Cobb's batting average would have been a few dozen points lower had the mitts of today been used against him in the early 1900s.
Looks like an awesome trip DrM! Always have been a look-back Dodger fan. I know it's probably more upscale as it is Disney....but would you compare the trip to something like a vacation at the Jersey shore? Or am I way off base?

Concerning glove size....Everything is relative when comparing a player to thier contemporaries only. Raw numbers (hits, runs average ect.) can't be compared across generations regardless of what the saber crowd say or try to prove mathmaticaly. Cobb wouldn't even be considered with that crazy grip he used....today.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(08-05-2014, 08:53 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Looks like an awesome trip DrM! Always have been a look-back Dodger fan. I know it's probably more upscale as it is Disney....but would you compare the trip to something like a vacation at the Jersey shore? Or am I way off base?

Concerning glove size....Everything is relative when comparing a player to thier contemporaries only. Raw numbers (hits, runs average ect.) can't be compared across generations regardless of what the saber crowd say or try to prove mathmaticaly. Cobb wouldn't even be considered with that crazy grip he used....today.
I've only been to the Jersey Shore once, and it was last century, when I was a much younger, single man. Smile Jersey Shore would've compared more to to spring break in Ft. Lauderdale ... Lots of beach, lots of music, lots of girls mixed with lots of bars and 'responsible' drinking. Smile
Today, As a much older Family Guy, Disney Vero Beach Resort is a more serene, low-key vacation spot. A very family oriented place with nice accomidations and good food with access to the beach just a 2 minute walk away. After 10 pm, there really isn't much to do. The girls were up and on the beach by 7am to see the local marine biologists flagging and mapping loggerhead turtle nests. That was interesting. Lots of swimming beach and pool, lots of good food. It's Disney without the amusement park Smile
Perhaps there are more family-friendly spots on the Jersey Shore nowadays, but I don't know about them.

You're correct, as far as Cobb goes. The glove technology really wouldn't matter. He was one of the greatest in his era and nothing can really take that away. But those puny, webless gloves were probably good for dozens of extra groundball singles.