`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O Captain! My Captain! Thurman Munson Remembered

O Captain! My Captain! Thurman Munson Remembered
On this day in 1979 New York Yankees Captain Thurman Munson was killed in a plane crash. It was a horrible day not only for the Yankees but for baseball as well. Here is Thurman Munson's memorial:

[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

RE: O Captain! My Captain! Thurman Munson Remembered
 photo C888E49A-26BE-4253-80C1-313DBD2735CA.jpg
[Image: Kzea5ph.png]

"Avoid the Clap" - Jimmy Dugan

Nice collection!...I have a few game used and newer released cards...I have to go through my older stuff but i am sure I have some....Thank you for sharing!

(08-02-2014, 06:24 PM)yankeeempire Wrote: Nice collection!...I have a few game used and newer released cards...I have to go through my older stuff but i am sure I have some....Thank you for sharing!
Thanks, your welcome. I'm still trying to find the holy grail for not only my Munson collection but for my entire collection and that's a Munson Auto. That would have to be the most difficult card to ever obtain of any of my PC players, that's why its considered the Holy Grail to me!

If I can I pick up a decent looking '69 Topps Johnny Bench then my Holy Trinity of '70's catchers would be complete. As I set out to obtain all of the regular Topps issues of Bench, Carlton Fisk & Munson from their rookie years to '79.

If i run into a Munson auto that fairly cheap i'll send you the info. All his are cut autos so there should be a few out there. I know his wife signed a contract with Topps for the release of uniforms and other signed items

(08-02-2014, 09:08 PM)yankeeempire Wrote: If i run into a Munson auto that fairly cheap i'll send you the info. All his are cut autos so there should be a few out there. I know his wife signed a contract with Topps for the release of uniforms and other signed items
Thanks! Yeah the toughest thing about his Autos is you know all of them have to be cut Autos which makes them very limited. If you actually have one I would love to see a scan of it, or for that matter if anyone out there has one I would love to see a scan of one! lol

Munson's death really threw me. Almost 1 year before that, my dad passed away ... And we were both big Munson fans. So, His tragic death was one less 'connection' I had with my father and that hit me harder than I ever imagined it would.
Say what you will about Steinbrenner, but his devotion to Munson's family, his defiance to the commissioner about the whole team attending the funeral and risking a forfeit, his honoring Thurman every single Sunday at the Stadium, etc, etc proves he wasn't the 'jerk persona' everyone else believed he was.

BTW: That Munson tribute played at every Sunday game ALWAYS brought tears to my eyes.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Steinbrenner had his moments but what he did for the Munson family was beyond awesome...He set up trust funds for the children so when they became adults they would have a hefty nest egg worth millions. When he flew the team to the funeral in a private jet and seeing how it affected him was proof the man had a heart. That had to be so hard for the Yankees I could not imagine the pain and grief they felt. I will always love Bobby Murcer for kicking ***** by knocking in all the runs beating the Orioles the day they buried him.