`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the ban on Pete Rose be lifted?

RE: Should the ban on Pete Rose be lifted?
No...
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

(08-11-2014, 09:22 PM)jwhuckfeldt Wrote: Absolutely. He did his time. Regardless if he's in the Hall or not, he's the best hitter of all time. He needs to be enshrined. It's funny how the MLB looks differently on PEDs. Sad double standard.
two problems with this:

1. he isnt close to the best hitter of all-time. not even close. greatest singles of all-time. but all-time rankings in non-cumlative stats:

.303 batting average, good for 173rd all-time
.375 on-base percentage, 212th all-time
OPS - the God stat - he isnt even in the top 500 of all-time

he was a singles hitter who had a ton of longevity. i can name at least ten players who were better hitters without even breaking a swear. i could name 50. i could name 100. ted williams, ruth, mantle, mays, ghrig, etc etc etc etc etc

2. there is no double standard. for one...how many known steroid users have made it in? 2. steroids werent illegal in baseball until...2004? betting has been baseball's original sin and against the rules since the early 1900's

(08-11-2014, 08:04 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Always open to others opinions.......
That's not true for me. The reason is against the TOS for me to go in to detail.
(08-11-2014, 09:22 PM)jwhuckfeldt Wrote: He did his time.
Not yet.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-12-2014, 07:23 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: two problems with this:

1. he isnt close to the best hitter of all-time. not even close. greatest singles of all-time. but all-time rankings in non-cumlative stats:

.303 batting average, good for 173rd all-time
.375 on-base percentage, 212th all-time
OPS - the God stat - he isnt even in the top 500 of all-time

he was a singles hitter who had a ton of longevity. i can name at least ten players who were better hitters without even breaking a swear. i could name 50. i could name 100. ted williams, ruth, mantle, mays, ghrig, etc etc etc etc etc

2. there is no double standard. for one...how many known steroid users have made it in? 2. steroids werent illegal in baseball until...2004? betting has been baseball's original sin and against the rules since the early 1900's
Couldn't have said it better.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

(08-12-2014, 07:40 AM)randall44 Wrote: Couldn't have said it better.
+whatever rose's jersey # was.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-01-2014, 12:02 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: In the context of the entering the HOF, IMO, yes.
I do believe that entering the Hall should require an emphasis on character, but then does that we mean we exclude Christie Mathewson and Ty Cobb for the scandals they were caught up in? I believe it should be weighed at 85% production, 15% character.

There are a lot of great guys in baseball. However, they're not going to get elected into the hall based on their personality. I say let him in. He's suffered long enough.

Gambling is an addiction, like drugs and alcohol. He should serve the same sentence as those who broke the drug rules and are still allowed to play.
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!

(08-12-2014, 12:50 PM)jwhuckfeldt Wrote: I do believe that entering the Hall should require an emphasis on character, but then does that we mean we exclude Christie Mathewson and Ty Cobb for the scandals they were caught up in? I believe it should be weighed at 85% production, 15% character.

There are a lot of great guys in baseball. However, they're not going to get elected into the hall based on their personality. I say let him in. He's suffered long enough.

Gambling is an addiction, like drugs and alcohol. He should serve the same sentence as those who broke the drug rules and are still allowed to play.
again, the character clause is NOT IN PLAY HERE. That is part of the voting process.

we dont even get to the character clause, because Rose was expelled from baseball by rule for violating the gambling rules. Because of that, he doesnt even get to be voted on

so the character clause isnt the reason he isnt in the HOF. it's a strawman argument

You bring up some compelling points. And he may have been the best singles hitter of all time. Singles win games. He had a good career. While you and I may disagree, I believe that it should be left up to the BBWAA to either vote for him or not. They won't vote him in anyway so why not give the guy a shot like everyone else?

You're also right that no one from the steroid era made it into the Hall. They weren't disqualified from it, either. I'd be ok with those who've gotten busted for PEDs getting instantly disqualified from the sport. What's fair is fair. Gambling, like substance abuse, is an addiction and cheating. Both should levy the same penalty.
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!