`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stickin' It to the Man...With A Few Goalies That Is!

Stickin' It to the Man...With A Few Goalies That Is!
Hey everyone! Yesterday I posted a few nice pieces which I added to my goalie museum and even though I have four new jerseys incoming at the moment, I thought to myself...gee, I really haven't added a stick in a while. After some talking with a fellow collector here in Edmonton, named Andrew Connors, that changed as I added seven, that's right, seven new sticks to the collection. A big thanks goes to him once again for giving me a good deal on these.

The first is of a goaltender named Trevor Koenig from Edmonton, Alberta. He was largely an ECHL and WCHL only guy in his career, with the exception of two games in the AHL between 1998-99 to 2004-05. His main claims to fame are scoring a goal in the ECHL and recording one of the longest shutout streaks while at the collegiate level. The blade has been shattered off and there is a personalized autograph on it for someone who is not me Smile

[Image: koenigg1_zpsac898a52.jpg]

[Image: koenigg2_zps9f16a56c.jpg]

[Image: koenigg3_zps7faeb6a5.jpg]

[Image: koenigg4_zps8f129d75.jpg]

The second one is also of a minor league only goaltender, named Mike Buzak. Hailing from Edson, Alberta, he was a former draft pick of the St. Louis Blues in 1993, but never saw any time in the NHL. He largely bounced between the ECHL, WCHL, and AHL between 1995-96 to 2002-03 posting competent numbers at all of those levels but never enough to make The Show. A notable element of the stick is the taping style which is unlike any I have seen yet. The entire paddle of the stick is covered in a clear packaging type like material, but puck marks are on top of it meaning that this was done prior to its use.

[Image: buzak1_zpsa822b22a.jpg]

[Image: buzak2_zpsd3768fb0.jpg]

[Image: buzak3_zps0e1a2186.jpg]

[Image: buzak4_zps38c55637.jpg]

The next one I thought I had figured out until I took it home. I was under the impression that it was a Rich Parent St. Louis Blues era game used stick until I picked it up and realized that it was a right-hand catcher's stick, and Parent was definitely a lefty. After realizing I was wrong, I am now confused. The only clues to the player I have are the colors on the stick implying a team, the era between 1995-2004 as a reference because the other sticks came from there, his autograph on the paddle, and the only two unfaded letters on the name bar being "R" and "O". Still a nice piece and it would be neat to solve the mystery.

[Image: mystery1_zps39bee61c.jpg]

[Image: mystery2_zps891b814b.jpg]

[Image: mystery3_zpsfa9aefdc.jpg]

[Image: mystery4_zps39f4fe91.jpg]

[Image: mystery5_zps92d8a1f3.jpg]

[Image: mystery6_zps3c7d2189.jpg]

The next one is of a former NHL player and based on the brand of stick it was from his Philadelphia era, and not his Phoenix of minor league era. The player, Robert Esche. Hailing from the United States, Esche was drafted 139th overall by Phoenix in 1996, and made his NHL debut on February 20, 1999. He remained with the Coyotes until 2002-03, when he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in the deal that saw Brian Boucher go to the Coyotes. His NHL career lasted until the 2006-07 season when he posted some of the weakest numbers of his career. In a 186 game NHL career, Esche posted a 78-64-16 record with 10 shutouts, a 2.75GAA and a 0.899% save average to go along with a 13-11 playoff record. The stick pictured here was most likely used while he was a member of the Flyers between 2002-04.

[Image: esche1_zpsf5aee668.jpg]

[Image: esche2_zpsa6e9b843.jpg]

[Image: esche3_zps335e4b89.jpg]

[Image: esche4_zps9f72dd6a.jpg]

[Image: esche5_zps359397a5.jpg]

And finally, we have a threefer. That's right, three game used sticks belonging to a former NHL player named Scott Langkow (and yes, he is related to Daymond Langkow). Another player hailing from Edmonton, Alberta, Langkow was drafted 31st overall by Winnipeg in 1993 and played a single game with them 1995-96. He then played his next four NHL games between 1997-98 and 1998-99 as a member of the Coyotes, and got in a decent amount of games (15) as backup goaltender on the Atlanta Thrashers in 1999-00. In his 20 career NHL games, he recorded a 3-12-1 record with a 4.33 GAA and a 0.857% save average. Of course, not to mention, he had a long career in the AHL, IHL, and ECHL as well. The sticks are very nice and show a lot of interesting experimentation with taping style, though exactly which era of his career these are from is difficult to ascertain.

[Image: langkow1_zpsa3105aa2.jpg]

[Image: langkow2_zps8baac74a.jpg]

[Image: langkow3_zps3e774265.jpg]

[Image: langkow4_zps90131d4b.jpg]

[Image: langkow5_zpsd34605c8.jpg]

There you go and stay tuned until my next big mail day!

RE: Stickin' It to the Man...With A Few Goalies That Is!
as usual nice pickups.......hopefully once i start working again i can pick up a couple gamers

Man I wish you weren't starting a museum and would sell me that Esche. He's from my area and I learned from him at a local goalie camp. I think he was playing at a prep school then and I was only like 12 years old.

I have that same exact stick signed by him but it's brand new and not game used that my at the time girlfriend's father won at a golf tournament. It'd be awesome to have a game used stick to put with it.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

Nice additions to the collection!!

Very interesting and, I am sure, a huge investment.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Nice stuff. What league was the mystery stick supposed to be from? How far apart are the "R" and "O"?

Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

Wow, was I out of it for these responses. Thanks for all of the comments everyone!

I honestly don't know the league of the mystery stick. Based on the other sticks in the lot (Langkow excluded since he is a family friend of the guy I bought the sticks from), they were all from 2003. The Esche was a Flyers NHL stick, but the others represented the IHL/ECHL.

Can you tell how close the r and o are together on the nameplate? Might help narrow it down
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

(08-07-2014, 05:37 PM)roussy35 Wrote: Can you tell how close the r and o are together on the nameplate? Might help narrow it down
They are adjoining letters. It would be as if the name was "RO" something...and it is not Roman Turek. Number is wrong and autograph is wrong for Turek...among other things.

I tried sorting through a search of RO goalie on hockey db and couldn't come up with anything. Thought I was onto something when I found an early 90's Roland Romano lol.

Collecting Kirk McLean - Todd Bertuzzi - Scott Stevens
[Image: bbbert.png]