`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinions about Topps Chipz

Your Opinions about Topps Chipz
Got a couple of free packs of the 2013 Topps Chipz. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is how collectible they might be. Does anyone see an interest in the chipz. Or is it just a bad experiment by Topps that will die out in a year or two.

[Image: Ruth-1.jpg]
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

RE: Your Opinions about Topps Chipz
I don't see it as a bad product but more about a kid oriented collection. Something like the sticker collections.
I see useful as the key of success on a long term basis is to create the taste of collection. Start with with cheap but fun products as a kid and then grow to more adult oriented and premium collections.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85

(07-25-2014, 03:47 AM)jeantoto Wrote: I don't see it as a bad product but more about a kid oriented collection. Something like the sticker collections.
I see useful as the key of success on a long term basis is to create the taste of collection. Start with with cheap but fun products as a kid and then grow to more adult oriented and premium collections.
It's funny, baseball cards started out as an adult oriented collectible (tobacco cards) and then became a way to help sell crappy bubble gum to kids. The kids started buying the crappy gum for the cards. The gum eventually went away. The cards became so expensive that only adults that grew up chewing that crappy gum could afford the product anymore and now Topps is looking for a new gateway 'drug' to get kids hooked on collecting. Ironically funny, to me at least.
The Chipz could very well go the way of the Pogs from the 90s. (Although, they never had a Chipz craze yet.) They're interesting enough that people that might save them, and could very well have a cool collectible 30 years from today. I'm sure if Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout are in the HOF, they're image on Chipz will have a value .... i.e. Anything with Mickey Mantle on it has some value today, even on objects that had no intrinsic value when it first appeared.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(07-25-2014, 09:27 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: It's funny, baseball cards started out as an adult oriented collectible (tobacco cards) and then became a way to help sell crappy bubble gum to kids. The kids started buying the crappy gum for the cards. The gum eventually went away. The cards became so expensive that only adults that grew up chewing that crappy gum could afford the product anymore and now Topps is looking for a new gateway 'drug' to get kids hooked on collecting. Ironically funny, to me at least.
The Chipz could very well go the way of the Pogs from the 90s. (Although, they never had a Chipz craze yet.) They're interesting enough that people that might save them, and could very well have a cool collectible 30 years from today. I'm sure if Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout are in the HOF, they're image on Chipz will have a value .... i.e. Anything with Mickey Mantle on it has some value today, even on objects that had no intrinsic value when it first appeared.
Exactly...great recap. I like the Chipz..since I am a team collector..I collected bottle caps and 7-11 discs!! I just wish Blowout had a box to buy.
However, this year there's a million variations..that along could kill the product..

I don't see it as a long-term product. I like them but don't like trying to store them. I am only going for the certain players that I collect and their parallels.

Personally I try not to collect anything larger than a 1989 Bowman card and the Chipz are smaller than that. It is an interesting addition to my collection along with other "little flat items" such as matchbooks, magnets, pocket schedules, coins, stamps, stickers, pogs, tattoos, mini posters, etc. Now I have added poker chips to that list.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(07-25-2014, 12:04 PM)zeprock Wrote: I don't see it as a long-term product. I like them but don't like trying to store them. I am only going for the certain players that I collect and their parallels.

Personally I try not to collect anything larger than a 1989 Bowman card and the Chipz are smaller than that. It is an interesting addition to my collection along with other "little flat items" such as matchbooks, magnets, pocket schedules, coins, stamps, stickers, pogs, tattoos, mini posters, etc. Now I have added poker chips to that list.
That might be fun ... Playing poker with your baseball Chipz. Certain players would have certain value over others.
"I'll see you a David Ortiz and raise you a Miguel Cabrera!"
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I bought a lot of them last year and they're basically just another thing for which I have to find a place to keep. I guess one could look into some coin storage options but that seems a little pointless for such an insignificant product. I do wish they'd number them or something. I'm so lost trying to organize them.

I myself loved them in 2013 when the whole product line was 530 or so total Chipz. Great looking product with just enough variances/parallels to make a nice "set" of something me and my kids could work on putting together on fairly the cheap. Just store them in a longer set box for now.

Swing forward to 2014....product line explodes by 4, many variances/parallels, some of which you can't tell what exactly you have (gold or gold foil) plus they short marketed them on purpose...my Walmart I never even saw them in there. They can stick thier Chipz as far as I'm concerned.

I think they are a collectable item folks will want for player / team PC's and such....but you can't collect them if nobady has them
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.