`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card Show expectations....

Card Show expectations....
I have just re-entered the baseball card collecting hobby after being away for about 20 years. I plan on attending a decent size card show (about 200 tables) in a few weeks and wanted to get an idea as to what to expect with regards to the dealers in attendance.
1.) What type of cards should I expect from dealers? 20 years ago they were 99.9% raw with only a few graded. Do dealers still sell raw cards or are the vast majority of their cards graded?
2.) Are dealers willing to trade at all? If so, do they mostly trade for BV or will I need to trade in their favor most of the time? I completely understand that this is a business for them and I expect to trade in their favor, I just wanted know what to expect.
3.) 20 years ago BV was selling value most of the time. I would see cards selling less than BV, but most of the time it was due to condition. Now-a-days it seems the VAST majority of cards are selling for 25-50% of BV, with the obvious high value big boy card exceptions. Is this the case from dealers as well? I know this really depends on the card/player, but for example, will I be expected to pay $10.00 for a raw NM/M 1989 Fleer Ken Griffey Jr.?
4.) Are dealers willing to purchase cards and if so, what sort of % of BV are they willing to pay?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Just hoping to get an idea as to HOW much the hobby has changed since I last visited a card show.

RE: Card Show expectations....
Anybody? I know there are not any hard fast rules that dealers go by, but I'd love an idea of what Im walking into ahead of time.

From my experience (Toronto area):
1) Raw on modern cards, almost nothing but graded on pre war vintage
2) I had a tough time trading the last time I was at the Expo (think the National, but smaller and 70% hockey) and of those that said they would trade--- I had a Puig printing plate I pulled and one dealer was firm on $15 cash, another on 75 trade value (unfortunatley nothing of value to me to trade for) and believe it or not one dealer didn't know who Puig was (like I said Toronto=hockey)
3) In my experience BV is listed, but every booth says "Today only 50% off listed price". For every day of the show.
4) Dealers are lookiing to low ball as much as possible in my experience
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Awesome. That's about what I expected based on my dealings here. Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

My thoughts / experiences:
1) Type depends on the show. Some have little or few newer card vendors. 95% + will be ungraded, raw cards.
2) best bet on trading (remember they are trying to make money and need to pay for thier table) is to do a buy + trade transaction. Vendor's are more receptive to this than just a flat out trade.
3) myself I have a 40% rule to BV when I'm buying (will go to 50% if I really want it) at shows. Folks will be more receptive to discounts to BV if you are purchasing more than one or two cards from them.
4)Vendors for the most part are not keen on purchasing and will as rmpaq5 stated low ball as much as possible.

Anyway...have fun and don't take anything personal in regards to your cards (ie vendors not wanting them....which they don't unless your practically giving them away)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.