`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How do you sell your low end cards?

How do you sell your low end cards?
I think all collectors at some point look around and tell themselves, "I have too many cards."

As a 25 year collector, I have said this on more than one occasion. The issue I usually run into is finding a cost effective way to sell low end cards. I have tried a few techniques.

Right now, I am trying to take some bigger names and putting them into small lots and listing with free shipping. For example, I have a lot of seven cards that is just Raiders from 89 Score. We will see how this method works.

Anyone else find frustration in trying to move low dollar items? How do you sell your low end stuff?
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

RE: How do you sell your low end cards?
If you've got a ton, Comc might be worth looking into. I haven't tried them as I just don't have enough. I usually end up putting them in a medium size flat rate box and putting them on auction. I don't get much for them, but hopefully someone else enjoys them. Otherwise, I have no idea. If anyone else has other ways, I'd love to hear them!

i ended up donating all my base. and started to only keep my numbered inserts.

MAINLY COLLECTING KANSAS CITY CHIEFS PLAYERS
new updated bucket 12/16

Shipping is the trouble. You could sell 100 cards for $2.00, and shipping takes a big, big chunk. I've had some success going by team or player. "50 Yankees from '60 to '14" or you can get lucky with a player "25 different Tony Peña cards spanning his career". If a team or player pops up in the news, and you time it right, you can get lucky, but only do this if you are trying to make space in your collection--forget about making money. You can get some nice positive feedback, however.

A battered women's shelter in my town gets packs of 10 from me on occasion. The ladies that work there tell me the kids like them. I just make sure there's a local team on the front of the pack. I also throw a few unique cards into trades sometime. They aren't necessarily valuable, but I know if I make a trade for some Chicago Bears and the trader throws in a couple random players from the '60s or '70s, I am always appreciative. I wouldn't have bought them, but I'm glad to have them.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(07-05-2014, 04:47 PM)jonathani Wrote: Shipping is the trouble. You could sell 100 cards for $2.00, and shipping takes a big, big chunk. I've had some success going by team or player. "50 Yankees from '60 to '14" or you can get lucky with a player "25 different Tony Peña cards spanning his career". If a team or player pops up in the news, and you time it right, you can get lucky, but only do this if you are trying to make space in your collection--forget about making money. You can get some nice positive feedback, however.

A battered women's shelter in my town gets packs of 10 from me on occasion. The ladies that work there tell me the kids like them. I just make sure there's a local team on the front of the pack. I also throw a few unique cards into trades sometime. They aren't necessarily valuable, but I know if I make a trade for some Chicago Bears and the trader throws in a couple random players from the '60s or '70s, I am always appreciative. I wouldn't have bought them, but I'm glad to have them.

It is certainly not a get rich kind of thing. I prefer to offer free shipping when I sell, but with lower priced stuff you need it to sell for more than $.99 to break even.

Years ago it seemed like you could find younger collectors to give your cards to but with this generation, the young collectors aren't "across the street" so to speak.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

i buy cards worth 3-15 dollars to sell them to raise money for charity (10% of all my ebay sales go to cancer research, 20% of all off-ebay sales)

anything less than a dollar (and most stuff under 2) i put into lots where 100% goes to cancer research

i dont buy nearly as much anymore (in fact, i took 6 weeks off from doing anything), and the prices i pay are wholesale prices, but it is one avenue to get rid of lower value stuff, and do something good with it

(07-06-2014, 08:23 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i buy cards worth 3-15 dollars to sell them to raise money for charity (10% of all my ebay sales go to cancer research, 20% of all off-ebay sales)

anything less than a dollar (and most stuff under 2) i put into lots where 100% goes to cancer research

i dont buy nearly as much anymore (in fact, i took 6 weeks off from doing anything), and the prices i pay are wholesale prices, but it is one avenue to get rid of lower value stuff, and do something good with it
check your PM's bud Smile

Something you may want to do, in case you have not thought of this, is instead of listing large lots by NFL teams you could also put together lots by player college alma maters, mainly the big name ones. I have noticed that these type of card lots sell fairly well in comparison, although I would not expect huge $ returns necessarily. Also, you could also throw in some of the nicer cards in that lot you may have around the house and make note of those within the auction listing. For example, a UF lot could include a low number Tim Tebow, an autographed Kevin Carter or some scarce Lito Sheppard rookies. These are not necessarily highly sought after examples but to a specialty collector it may spark interest.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(07-06-2014, 05:36 PM)nittany13 Wrote: Something you may want to do, in case you have not thought of this, is instead of listing large lots by NFL teams you could also put together lots by player college alma maters, mainly the big name ones. I have noticed that these type of card lots sell fairly well in comparison, although I would not expect huge $ returns necessarily. Also, you could also throw in some of the nicer cards in that lot you may have around the house and make note of those within the auction listing. For example, a UF lot could include a low number Tim Tebow, an autographed Kevin Carter or some scarce Lito Sheppard rookies. These are not necessarily highly sought after examples but to a specialty collector it may spark interest.
Thank you. That seems like a neat idea to try out.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2