(07-04-2014 10:26 AM)kamdensmom Wrote: Just to make sure I am clear -- I have and entire garage of commons and low price stars to sell in bulk. It took 3 mini van loads to get those out of the house. The items I took some pictures of were examples of the insert/numbered cards. I have 7 large safes full of these -- stacked in protective covers but not in boxes, in the safes. I literally have thousands of cards. SO...I am looking for advice on how to:
1.) Organize the cards that are inserts/etc. eventually I will sell them but I need a base value before I open it up to dealers. Should I scan them all for inventory? Create a database in addition to the pics? Put the actual cards in team order? How do I find what I have once it is scanned?
2.) Organize/sort the rest of the commons?
3.) Once I have gone through them do I attempt to sell them individually for the best value or offer the whole lot up to dealers and take the best price? I do sell on ebay (other items) but it is about people looking for a deal and I am looking to get the most I can out of these.
(07-05-2014 08:49 AM)mmahoney Wrote: If you're pretty confident in the sorting method already done then maybe just donate the commons to a Children's Hospital if you can find one in your area that will take them or try and sell them in bulk.
If you want to have some idea of the value of the rest you will have to take the time to list them out and look up the value. No way around that. I wouldn't start scanning until you know how you will sell them (individual or in groups) From there, just depends if you want to take the time to max value and sell individually or in small groups or just take best price for all and be done. Depending on where you live, you could go to a local card shop or if they have collectible shows in your area you may want to go to one of them and see if you can find someone interested in buying.
(07-07-2014 04:23 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Okay, you have a Herculean task ahead of you! VERY time consuming, and VERY tedious, too.
Here's my 2 cents ... Bulk sell the commons. Don't waste time organizing them .... Eliminate them and that will give you 2 important things.
1) it will give you Lots of room
2) it will begin the process of setting up a dialogue with local card shops/collectors. You can feel them out, see who is better, honest, sleazy, etc. for future sales.
You will NOT maximize you returns on these base cards, but it will serve as important information for any future endeavors. Well worth the discount you will be giving, IMO.
Now, the better cards in the safes. .......
You have several choices to make for organizing them, based on how you want to sell them. first, take anything that is to be saved, keep them aside. Worry about them later.
With the rest .... Here are some suggestions
1) organize by player : some people and many collectors are only interested in certain Players ... This will help maximize sales to those individuals.
2) organize by team: some only collect a certain team.
3) organize by product line: some people are only interested in collecting Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club, Heritage, etc, etc. probably easiest quickest way to organize, IMO.
4) organize by price: $10 in this safe, $20 in safe #2, $30 in safe #3 ... Some people are only interested in higher priced cards.
5) have the better cards slabbed and graded. Some people only collect PSA graded cards, but will pay the most for High Grade cards. This is great, except for the initial outlay of money to have them graded.
Selling them by yourself, (even on eBay) is the way to maximize your $$$$ ... Flea markets, monthly card conventions. Buy a table, rent a space, take a weekend once a month. There is a huge cost to selling and a reason dealers don't buy collections at BV, they have to absorb lots of costs before they realize any profits.
Hope some of this is helpful.
(07-07-2014 08:47 AM)kamdensmom Wrote: Thanks...that was what I was afraid of...there being no real "way" that I should sort them