`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start

RE: Where to start
Your best bet is probably looking around online or locally for a dealer interested in taking it all.

Keep in mind though, the dealer route will get you money "quickly" but less because they have to profit too.

(07-04-2014, 11:26 AM)kamdensmom Wrote: Just to make sure I am clear -- I have and entire garage of commons and low price stars to sell in bulk. It took 3 mini van loads to get those out of the house. The items I took some pictures of were examples of the insert/numbered cards. I have 7 large safes full of these -- stacked in protective covers but not in boxes, in the safes. I literally have thousands of cards. SO...I am looking for advice on how to:

1.) Organize the cards that are inserts/etc. eventually I will sell them but I need a base value before I open it up to dealers. Should I scan them all for inventory? Create a database in addition to the pics? Put the actual cards in team order? How do I find what I have once it is scanned?

2.) Organize/sort the rest of the commons?

3.) Once I have gone through them do I attempt to sell them individually for the best value or offer the whole lot up to dealers and take the best price? I do sell on ebay (other items) but it is about people looking for a deal and I am looking to get the most I can out of these.
If you're pretty confident in the sorting method already done then maybe just donate the commons to a Children's Hospital if you can find one in your area that will take them or try and sell them in bulk.

If you want to have some idea of the value of the rest you will have to take the time to list them out and look up the value. No way around that. I wouldn't start scanning until you know how you will sell them (individual or in groups) From there, just depends if you want to take the time to max value and sell individually or in small groups or just take best price for all and be done. Depending on where you live, you could go to a local card shop or if they have collectible shows in your area you may want to go to one of them and see if you can find someone interested in buying.

yankees_pride....I have tons of them. Some are just in the "common stars" mess and some are in the safes. I'll post them as I come across them for you. I think I only have 1 or 2 found already

(07-05-2014, 09:49 AM)mmahoney Wrote: If you're pretty confident in the sorting method already done then maybe just donate the commons to a Children's Hospital if you can find one in your area that will take them or try and sell them in bulk.

If you want to have some idea of the value of the rest you will have to take the time to list them out and look up the value. No way around that. I wouldn't start scanning until you know how you will sell them (individual or in groups) From there, just depends if you want to take the time to max value and sell individually or in small groups or just take best price for all and be done. Depending on where you live, you could go to a local card shop or if they have collectible shows in your area you may want to go to one of them and see if you can find someone interested in buying.
I assumed the only way I would get some sort of value was to have them in order before I had anyone come in to see if they wanted to buy.

I pulled out a bunch of stuff today. Is it better to keep them with like cards (sets I guess?) or by players. For example -- I pulled out maybe 400 cards. I noticed there were yankee signature series in here. Should I keep those together or look for players?

Okay, you have a Herculean task ahead of you! VERY time consuming, and VERY tedious, too.

Here's my 2 cents ... Bulk sell the commons. Don't waste time organizing them .... Eliminate them and that will give you 2 important things.
1) it will give you Lots of room Smile
2) it will begin the process of setting up a dialogue with local card shops/collectors. You can feel them out, see who is better, honest, sleazy, etc. for future sales.
You will NOT maximize you returns on these base cards, but it will serve as important information for any future endeavors. Well worth the discount you will be giving, IMO.

Now, the better cards in the safes. .......
You have several choices to make for organizing them, based on how you want to sell them. first, take anything that is to be saved, keep them aside. Worry about them later.
With the rest .... Here are some suggestions
1) organize by player : some people and many collectors are only interested in certain Players ... This will help maximize sales to those individuals.
2) organize by team: some only collect a certain team.
3) organize by product line: some people are only interested in collecting Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club, Heritage, etc, etc. probably easiest quickest way to organize, IMO.
4) organize by price: $10 in this safe, $20 in safe #2, $30 in safe #3 ... Some people are only interested in higher priced cards.
5) have the better cards slabbed and graded. Some people only collect PSA graded cards, but will pay the most for High Grade cards. This is great, except for the initial outlay of money to have them graded.

Selling them by yourself, (even on eBay) is the way to maximize your $$$$ ... Flea markets, monthly card conventions. Buy a table, rent a space, take a weekend once a month. There is a huge cost to selling and a reason dealers don't buy collections at BV, they have to absorb lots of costs before they realize any profits.
Hope some of this is helpful.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Any Derek Jeter cards you would like to part with.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(07-07-2014, 05:23 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Okay, you have a Herculean task ahead of you! VERY time consuming, and VERY tedious, too.

Here's my 2 cents ... Bulk sell the commons. Don't waste time organizing them .... Eliminate them and that will give you 2 important things.
1) it will give you Lots of room Smile
2) it will begin the process of setting up a dialogue with local card shops/collectors. You can feel them out, see who is better, honest, sleazy, etc. for future sales.
You will NOT maximize you returns on these base cards, but it will serve as important information for any future endeavors. Well worth the discount you will be giving, IMO.

Now, the better cards in the safes. .......
You have several choices to make for organizing them, based on how you want to sell them. first, take anything that is to be saved, keep them aside. Worry about them later.
With the rest .... Here are some suggestions
1) organize by player : some people and many collectors are only interested in certain Players ... This will help maximize sales to those individuals.
2) organize by team: some only collect a certain team.
3) organize by product line: some people are only interested in collecting Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club, Heritage, etc, etc. probably easiest quickest way to organize, IMO.
4) organize by price: $10 in this safe, $20 in safe #2, $30 in safe #3 ... Some people are only interested in higher priced cards.
5) have the better cards slabbed and graded. Some people only collect PSA graded cards, but will pay the most for High Grade cards. This is great, except for the initial outlay of money to have them graded.

Selling them by yourself, (even on eBay) is the way to maximize your $$$$ ... Flea markets, monthly card conventions. Buy a table, rent a space, take a weekend once a month. There is a huge cost to selling and a reason dealers don't buy collections at BV, they have to absorb lots of costs before they realize any profits.
Hope some of this is helpful.
Thanks...that was what I was afraid of...there being no real "way" that I should sort them

(07-07-2014, 09:47 AM)kamdensmom Wrote: Thanks...that was what I was afraid of...there being no real "way" that I should sort them
Sorry, but I've been collecting for a while, and your organization, IMO, is paramount to how you want to sell or keep your cards. I have a box of just high end Yankee cards. I have a box of just Tribute Autos. I have a box of just Ubaldo Jimenez cards. I have boxes of common base cards separated by the years. I have notebook binders with card pages of sets I'm putting together. I have individual boxes of individual players. I have boxes of complete sets. There really is no wrong or right, better or worse ... It's whatever works for you ... Works! For selling, it's more complicated because you need to locate that specific card in a timely manner. If you're just keeping them, it doesn't matter as much.
I wish there was a best answer for you.
Once again, sorry I couldn't help more
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.