`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you like to see from the hobby in the future?

RE: What would you like to see from the hobby in the future?
I'd like to see more stuff from like the guys who were stars back in the day but not HOF.. Like for me it would be steve wiznewski or Kauffman just take a break for one or 2 years on the normal autos..
[Image: c06ca6d0f47af68578ae577e3244d8cf_zps7ffe40f1.jpg]
Always looking for Charles Woodson RC, Daryle Lamonica, Tim Brown, Howie Long

Trading for Derek Carr and Rod Streater

(These are the main guys I collect)

(06-27-2014, 07:42 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: But don't you think the amount of releases have already decreased dramatically since the turn of the century? How many companies have folded or been absorbed into another? That has certainly had an effect on amount of product released. I think perhaps we are more aware of how much stuff is out there because almost all of it is serial numbered, whereas in the past it was simply an un-numbered insert or RC. With that said, I will agree that the idea of fewer releases is desirable, and I would welcome such a move. On a side note, personally, I would like to see Panini go away. Their product just seems...cheap. Everything from them feels like a dressed up "Score" card.
The problem is that while those other manufacturers went away, the big three bought up the naming rights & keep releasing all their brand lines. So you're still getting just as many sets, except that now they're all made by a couple of companies & thus feature pretty much the same checklists, with the same autos & "relics".

I generally like Panini, or at least, I like their high-end products. National Treasures is one of the better annual releases, and I fell in love with the design on Spectra last season (mmm...Spectra). That said, I don't see why they can't just release Score every year as a low-end set, Contenders as a mid-range, and National Treasures as a high...we don't also need 15 other sets from them.

I would like non licensed companies to not produce cards. No more college/Minor League autos. No more sticker autos or event/play worn relics. No card should be numbered over /100. This includes base cards. The number of products is not an issue to me.

(06-28-2014, 09:32 AM)patchautos Wrote: I would like non licensed companies to not produce cards. No more college/Minor League autos. No more sticker autos or event/play worn relics. No card should be numbered over /100. This includes base cards. The number of products is not an issue to me.
Whew! I might have to differ with you on the non-licensed product. I love all the college stuff coming out, particularly the old timers. Why would you like to see it go away?

Now, I can definitely get onboard with no more sticker autos. If that means autos become more scarce then great...so be it. That would be better anyway.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

I think there are way too many products. There only needs to be two high end products.

There needs to be some cost effective products for the younger collectors.

I think the amount of 1/1's is crazy. Get rid of 90% or the 1/1's that are out there now. A 1/1 should mean something.

I also get aggravated when a low numbered auto/patch is a plain one color piece.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

Not that it will ever happen but I would love to see it go back to the way it was before 1989. You had mostly one line of cards and the RC was king. To this day I can't understand how a new super premium XX/xx card of a unproven player that is a high draft pick could be worth more than a RC in good condition of a HOFer like Walter Payton, Jim Brown, etc.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

I think a different kind of redemption might be fun. Insert a generic "you're the GM" and people who pull it can select a mini-set of all their chosen team's draft picks. Probably make some teams more desired than others who had a seemingly strong draft but imagine if this existed in 2000 where you'd likely have had plenty of folks redeeming Jets with all their 1st rounders and maybe ignored the Patriots. Take it a step further and have special GM cards #ed something low that would allow you to redeem and auto version.

Or take this concept in a slightly different direction and instead of a generic GM redemption you would get a specific team's GM card that you would redeem for said team. Each redemption comes with that teams picks plus a random auto from that team's draft as well.

Put these cards into a late year set with it redeemable for the following years draft/set. Example Topps Chrome 2014 with a redemption for chrome 2015. Heck, might help Panini/Topps clear out last years inventory a bit more and try to get autos arranged ahead of time.

(06-30-2014, 10:00 AM)dmasci Wrote: Not that it will ever happen but I would love to see it go back to the way it was before 1989. You had mostly one line of cards and the RC was king. To this day I can't understand how a new super premium XX/xx card of a unproven player that is a high draft pick could be worth more than a RC in good condition of a HOFer like Walter Payton, Jim Brown, etc.
YES! Thank you! Truer words were never spoken. I make it a policy to never chase any new release RCs, opting to stick only with retired or proven players. If I get some random RCs in a lot or a Jags RC for cheap, then cool. But to sink a ton of money into an unproven rookie? Pfffft...no way. I learned my lesson with Chad Pennington (we all know who the hot rookie of that draft class turned out to be). That was money down the drain.
(06-30-2014, 06:13 PM)jplarson Wrote: I think a different kind of redemption might be fun. Insert a generic "you're the GM" and people who pull it can select a mini-set of all their chosen team's draft picks. Probably make some teams more desired than others who had a seemingly strong draft but imagine if this existed in 2000 where you'd likely have had plenty of folks redeeming Jets with all their 1st rounders and maybe ignored the Patriots. Take it a step further and have special GM cards #ed something low that would allow you to redeem and auto version.

Or take this concept in a slightly different direction and instead of a generic GM redemption you would get a specific team's GM card that you would redeem for said team. Each redemption comes with that teams picks plus a random auto from that team's draft as well.

Put these cards into a late year set with it redeemable for the following years draft/set. Example Topps Chrome 2014 with a redemption for chrome 2015. Heck, might help Panini/Topps clear out last years inventory a bit more and try to get autos arranged ahead of time.
Wow! I like the possibilities this presents. This may be the best idea so far. Thanks!
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(06-30-2014, 06:13 PM)jplarson Wrote: I think a different kind of redemption might be fun. Insert a generic "you're the GM" and people who pull it can select a mini-set of all their chosen team's draft picks. Probably make some teams more desired than others who had a seemingly strong draft but imagine if this existed in 2000 where you'd likely have had plenty of folks redeeming Jets with all their 1st rounders and maybe ignored the Patriots. Take it a step further and have special GM cards #ed something low that would allow you to redeem and auto version.

Let's go a step further: how about a build-a-card redemption? You get to pick from a list of available players & card templates, choose from a selection of prime patches, and then they stick on an auto & viola: your own, custom-built 1-of-1! They could even stamp your name on it or something if you want to go the extra mile. First come, first serve when it comes to swatches & autos, so that should ensure a bit of a spread in terms of players chosen.

I would love to pull something like that, and I imagine the secondary market for those redemptions would be insane!

(07-01-2014, 05:40 AM)Harv72b Wrote: Let's go a step further: how about a build-a-card redemption? You get to pick from a list of available players & card templates, choose from a selection of prime patches, and then they stick on an auto & viola: your own, custom-built 1-of-1! They could even stamp your name on it or something if you want to go the extra mile. First come, first serve when it comes to swatches & autos, so that should ensure a bit of a spread in terms of players chosen.

I would love to pull something like that, and I imagine the secondary market for those redemptions would be insane!
Again...WOW! Y'all are on to something. Brainstorming at its finest!