`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1992 wild card field force variants

RE: 1992 wild card field force variants
(06-28-2014, 08:02 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: That would explain a lot. I just bought a box for the heck of it so I'll report anything good I find. I also remember getting into the hobby in the mid 90's and thinking what junk wild card was... and in the card design department, they still are, however, when it comes to gimmicky print run tactics they were ahead of their time.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

You are going to have no fun. Those puppies stick to each other like no buddies business. All my older Wild Card sets are ruined. Sad
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(06-27-2014, 10:45 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: The actual number of the stripe for the redemption program was not pre-made.
They created multiple blanks with the stripe, and when a collector would redeem cards to upgrade their stripes, they would stamp the blanks the appropriate number. Blanks have made it to the open market.
The inserts were in packs with the striping, but the silver and gold Hot Rookies, Running Wild, and Field Force were a special one per jumbo pack only offering.
It was the last run of the product as well. Like I said, I just don't recall any stripes of those, but I am sure that Wild Card would have redeem them if a customer wanted. That was their gimmick.
Marinocollector you have just cleared up a major mystery for me. I always wondered how they redeemed stripe cards when someone sent a bunch in. I didn't think about blanks. I figured they had a bunch striped cards printed up for redemption. Wouldnt you have hated to be the kid that pulled a 1000 stripe of your favorite player and sent it in for 1000 base cards.

(06-30-2014, 09:02 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

You are going to have no fun. Those puppies stick to each other like no buddies business. All my older Wild Card sets are ruined. Sad
I can only imagine. I recently bought a box of 1998 Ultra Series 2 hoping to pull a rookie Gold Medallion since they are impossible to find anywhere else. All of the cards were sticking together and pulling them apart pulled swatches of ink off the surface of the card. Every card. Sure the UV coating (or whatever it is) looks great initially but I wouldn't buy any older wax anymore. Sad, really. Everything went right into the trash can. Fortunately there wasn't anything good in that box or I would have been sad. I would imagine my late 90s sets are pretty much in the same shape although I did sleeve up all the rookies so they at least should be good.
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

(06-30-2014, 04:44 PM)uwash97 Wrote: I can only imagine. I recently bought a box of 1998 Ultra Series 2 hoping to pull a rookie Gold Medallion since they are impossible to find anywhere else. All of the cards were sticking together and pulling them apart pulled swatches of ink off the surface of the card. Every card. Sure the UV coating (or whatever it is) looks great initially but I wouldn't buy any older wax anymore. Sad, really. Everything went right into the trash can. Fortunately there wasn't anything good in that box or I would have been sad. I would imagine my late 90s sets are pretty much in the same shape although I did sleeve up all the rookies so they at least should be good.
I am not sure if this works but I have read if you freeze them first they are easier to pull apart.

I am a lucky dog, these are pristine & no sticking... haven't found anything save for a Jimmy Smith RC, but I'm only a few packs in. I have had many bad experiences with the sticking cards though. I guess it all depends on the environment they're kept in.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

First off, it helps to read what series the cards your after are in... I bought a first series box and the field force inserts are in series 2 (duh). Seeing as how Favre is in there I won't be breaking any of those gold mines. I have a new respect for the stripes in general though, in a 36 pack hobby box I got : (1) 50 stripe, (3) 10 stripe and (4) 5 stripe cards. None of them were of players anyone will care about either.
I did get 2 surprise mail in redemption cards... anyone know what that surprise would have been? Since I pulled 2 of them I would think it wasn't much, but I'm curious anyway.
-- WANT LIST LINK --

(07-02-2014, 04:18 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: First off, it helps to read what series the cards your after are in... I bought a first series box and the field force inserts are in series 2 (duh). Seeing as how Favre is in there I won't be breaking any of those gold mines. I have a new respect for the stripes in general though, in a 36 pack hobby box I got : (1) 50 stripe, (3) 10 stripe and (4) 5 stripe cards. None of them were of players anyone will care about either.
I did get 2 surprise mail in redemption cards... anyone know what that surprise would have been? Since I pulled 2 of them I would think it wasn't much, but I'm curious anyway.
It would have been either an Emmitt or Barry Stat Smasher promo card.

Also, you do not want base packs. The variants you would be looking for (silvers and golds) were only in the Jumbo packs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Wild-Card-F...5b020f3774
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Aaahhh, good to know. Probably quit while I'm behind... I did get some nice gradeable Duper and Clayton cards for my Dolphins PC so not a total loss.
-- WANT LIST LINK --

You didn't happen to get any Cowboy stripes did you?

(07-02-2014, 08:21 PM)jjoy Wrote: You didn't happen to get any Cowboy stripes did you?
Unfortunately not... I do have a near full Cardinals team set in the 5 stripe... so I do have that goin' for me.
-- WANT LIST LINK --