`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new here,inherited cards and need help!

new here,inherited cards and need help!
..I posted this earlier..I think it belongs on this vintage section...Hello everyone.......My uncle left me thousands of baseball cards from the 50's,60's,70's and 80's...I bought a 2014 Beckett guide and was looking at Ebay....going through the binders,It looks like I have some real gems so far..1968 Nolan Ryan/Jerry Kooman rookie...Roberto Clemente..Jim Palmer..Hank Aaron..Johnny Bench...Pete Rose Rookie and 1963 rookie stars..Charley Lau..1962 Lou Brock rookie..Don Larsen...Lou Piniella 1968,1969 rookie star..lou Piniella/mike Brumley 1964 rookie stars...Gil McDougald,Tom tresh,dave Concepcion rookie.Boog Powell.and many more...I haven't really even looked into anything after 1970 yet.
Is my best bet to have them graded and sell one by one..or entire collection?..what does it cost to have a card graded?.....also I'm a little nervous to go to a card shop not knowing much about collecting..I don't want to be taken advantage of that's why i'm doing my homework...any advise would be very much appreciated..thank you!

RE: new here,inherited cards and need help!
Well lucky you! Keep doing your homework.... lol Ive been collecting for 34years and Im still doing my homework. Condition is everything. Pull some of the higher dollar cards and make some scans. Post them here. It can give us a better idea of the collection. Also the scans will help us tell you if grading is worth it. When it comes to selling the first question is, how much time do you want to invest in selling? Breaking it up into complete sets, single cards & common lots will net you the most money. But this will take time, taking pics and posting a lot of auctions. Selling as an entire collection will make you MUCH less as you will most likely be dealing with a dealer then, and he has to make some money too. But this option will also unload everything all at once with little time invested.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

thank you for your reply...I'm going to try and sell single for the 50's and 60's cards..then deal with the 70's and 80's...It does seem a little overwhelming not being a collector myself..i'm going to take some pics and post here for some more advice..thanks again!

Don't sell to a card shop. You will get between 10-25% of value at most, and then they may pick the cards over, leaving you with the harder ones to sell.
If you want to make money, shape is important.
You need to understand card conditions first. There probably is a guide on this site and there is one on PSA's site.
If the '63 Rose is VG, you will get about $100-$200 on EBay, if the '68 Ryan is vg you will get at most $100. There are key cards that people desire. Those are two that you mentioned. Grade them if they are better than vg.
If you get those two graded, you might get an additional 50%. However, other stars might net you a higher amount then if its ungraded, but for the most part, may not be worth the cost of getting it graded. If they are higher shape, you will get good value if they are graded, with the Rose getting more value as its rarer.

If you have a list of cards or the key cards and a quantity of cards per year, that is the starting point.
I'm guessing from the cards you describe that he also has a 1975 George Brett or 1975 mini George Brett. That also is a key card worth grading, but only if its near mint or better. Any Mickey Mantle's main cards can be graded as well.

Only grade the key cards if they reach specific grades or better, depending on the card.

My thinking is, if there are thousands from the 60s and 70s, if you have a good percentage from the 60s, the best way to get most value is to grade the key cards (providing they have decent grades) and sell the whole lot on EBay as one. With good cards in good shapes, and good quantities from key years, you can possibly make $2000 and up on all of them.
You will never make that by selling them all individually as they will never all sell.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of common cards from all years and they are all Excellent or better in the 1960s, depending on quantity, you may get more money if you sell each year's cards as a lot and sell the stars separately.

If you send me a private message, I can send you my email address. You can send me a listing of the cards and a scan of key cards and an average card from each year. There are certain years that make good money if they are in good shape. For example, if you had 500 1971 Topps in ExMt or better, you can make up to $800 for those, but the same quantity and shape from 1968 or 1969 won't get the same amount.

[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

I sent a Private Message if you need more info and help, I am available.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]