`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Collectors: Parallel Frustration?

RE: PC Collectors: Parallel Frustration?
(05-31-2014, 11:05 PM)taffster74 Wrote: I have a question ... and please don't take this the wrong way - are all of the complaints about multiple parallels based purely on the fact that there is only the one company producing cards? Where were these complaints when topps was doing a similar thing in the mid-2000's with finest, Bowman Elevation and Bowman Sterling?
I am definitely pro Panini, not because I necessarily think Panini is better, but because Panini is putting cards out now while I'm collecting and I love my basketball cards. I had the same parallel issues with my Olowokandi collection. Specifically all of the Topps parallels between Topps and Topps Chrome and Finest. I in fact am somewhat thankful for the parallels this year, because Tristan Thompson doesn't have but a few autos so basically the only cards of his I have to collect this season are all the parallels, and a few jersey cards and their prime versions.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

(05-31-2014, 06:39 PM)dleifriaf Wrote: why would they when they don't have to...
You are absolutely right. It reminds me of the electric company. If it wants to change my service or raise my rates, there isn't much I can do: There is one game in town. Little competition leads to little innovation. This has been proven throughout history.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

The difference is that people pretty much have to buy electricity whereas they do not have to buy cards. I've been collecting singles since 1999 as I saw the direction the hobby was heading and didn't like it. As I saw it back then, the hobby went from being fun to being sanctioned gambling for kids.
[Image: main2.gif]

Dominique Wilkins Beckett Super Collector
http://www.hobbydisplay.com/rdleifriaf

(05-31-2014, 11:05 PM)taffster74 Wrote: I have a question ... and please don't take this the wrong way - are all of the complaints about multiple parallels based purely on the fact that there is only the one company producing cards? Where were these complaints when topps was doing a similar thing in the mid-2000's with finest, Bowman Elevation and Bowman Sterling?
Maybe it's because Panini is horrid at designing a basketball base card. Forget autograph or memorabilia cards, allow me to start at the fundamentals.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

VGQV, how is the design any different from some of the absolutely horrid designs from Fleer and skybox during the 1990's?

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

I started collecting in the early 2000s. I miss the landmark products that I was used to seeing as each season came & went. Topps to start off the year. Bowman Draft Picks & Stars. Topps Chrome. Topps Finest, just to name a few. They made undeniable beauty with photography on a basketball card. Something that is now a lost art, I'm sad to say. I buy a pack of Panini cards and the quality is just not there anymore. Illogical designs. Heck, I even miss the cool stats Topps would put on on their cards. I don't know why Panini only lists which round a player was drafted in? I mean there's only two rounds in an NBA Draft, Panini. Wouldn't it be better to put what overall pick a player was? But hey, that's just my $0.02 . If you're a fan of Panini then more power to you, this is your era to collect. But it surely ain't mine.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

I think a lot of us are used to being "completest" player collectors. The hunt was hard (you'd actually have to put in work and not just wait on eBay) but not impossible. But, like another poster stated, once that 1/1 is gone your "rainbow" is shot.

I really cooled off with my Isiah collecting a few years ago but I've recently changed my thinking. I know there's no way to have them all so I pick up what I can. Part of the work/fun is keeping up with my master list and getting to see cards crossed off of it. I no longer take i so hard when I miss out on a card, it just is what it is. I get why the hobby continues because these new cards are amazing, but I will add I get much more excited over a rare vintage item popping up as opposed to the umpteenth auto'd jersey patch 1/1. etc.