`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players on PED reports

RE: Players on PED reports
(05-28-2014, 10:58 PM)Odyssey Wrote: Oh this conversation has been the reason behind many a arguement between us at work! But I stick with my arguement, they took PED's so they shouldn't be in the HOF. They wouldn't have been in the report if there wasn't crediable evidence and the reports have been pretty accurate.
Yes the era was tainted and flooded by roids and people turned a blind eye to it because it was exciting and did put people in the seats but in the end they cheated the sport. I know it doesn't improve hand and eye coordination but they don't call them PERFORMANCE ENHANCING for no reason.
I won't collect those players but as mentioned by another person, if people want to collect them then thats fine.
And my take ... PEDs in baseball have been around forever. Whether it was benign enough as nicotine and caffeine, or illegal as cocaine and amphetamines (greenies) ... Players used these illegal and legal drugs to enhance their performance throughout the history of baseball. Nothing really ever changed, just The sophistication of the enhancement and the focus of the media. When it was benefiting baseball, Bud Selig turned a blind eye. When it was politically correct to chastise players for PEDs is when he finally opened his mouth.
Millionaire Athletes will always try to find 'an edge' to keep them performing better and/or longer. If Bud Selig and the players union were truly sincere and really wanted to end PEDs they would eliminate suspensions and consider immediate expulsion.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-29-2014, 07:04 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: And my take ... PEDs in baseball have been around forever. Whether it was benign enough as nicotine and caffeine, or illegal as cocaine and amphetamines (greenies) ... Players used these illegal and legal drugs to enhance their performance throughout the history of baseball. Nothing really ever changed, just The sophistication of the enhancement and the focus of the media. When it was benefiting baseball, Bud Selig turned a blind eye. When it was politically correct to chastise players for PEDs is when he finally opened his mouth.
Millionaire Athletes will always try to find 'an edge' to keep them performing better and/or longer. If Bud Selig and the players union were truly sincere and really wanted to end PEDs they would eliminate suspensions and consider immediate expulsion.
THANK YOU!!!

I think we can close the door on this thread now...

https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(05-29-2014, 09:26 AM)rad_1205 Wrote: THANK YOU!!!
I think we can close the door on this thread now...
My pleasure ... Just don't get me started on performance enhancing surgery Smile

BTW: very cool new A&G Family signature pic!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-29-2014, 07:04 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: And my take ... PEDs in baseball have been around forever. Whether it was benign enough as nicotine and caffeine, or illegal as cocaine and amphetamines (greenies) ... Players used these illegal and legal drugs to enhance their performance throughout the history of baseball. Nothing really ever changed, just The sophistication of the enhancement and the focus of the media. When it was benefiting baseball, Bud Selig turned a blind eye. When it was politically correct to chastise players for PEDs is when he finally opened his mouth.
No arguement here from me and you do a good job at highlighting the hypocrisy of the business but do you believe that people who have used PED's should be allowed to enter the HOF?

[Image: m5GDmvD.png]

Want List
- 2006 Craig Biggio SP Authentic By the Letter "B" "O"
- 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones

(05-29-2014, 02:49 PM)Odyssey Wrote: No arguement here from me and you do a good job at highlighting the hypocrisy of the business but do you believe that people who have used PED's should be allowed to enter the HOF?
Bro how can you keep them out? I'm pretty sure there are a couple in there now. No one knows how far back PED use goes. That's my biggest complaint. Until they know every single player that ever used you can't black ball 3 or 4 guys. MLB allowed it to include Selig so how can you keep these guys out. Mitch already said it players in ever sport try to get in edge any way they can.

Hell the NFL is going to induct a murderer into the hall in the next couple year.

That's another issue too it's ok in football and they get suspended for 4 games but MLB players get fried. Don't get it...
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(05-28-2014, 10:02 AM)rad_1205 Wrote: My take on it is what's done is done... It's all baseball history
Clemens, Bonds, McGwire and Sosa are all Hall of Famers in my book (No positive test), It wasnt illegal during the time they played and in 1998-2002 no one gave a sh*t becuase everyone was getting paid within MLB. And fans where back in the stands from the strike in 1994 thanks to Sosa and McGwire!!!
+1000000
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

(05-28-2014, 10:02 AM)rad_1205 Wrote: My take on it is what's done is done... It's all baseball history the entire era was tainted. It bothers me that still til this date Clemens, Bonds, McGwire and Sosa are the dark horses of the era. What about Manny, Ortiz, and Petite? Because they played for the Yankees and Red Sox? Everyone tends to forget Ortiz was a part of the report as well, but no one says anything about him especially after his World Series Run last season

Clemens, Bonds, McGwire and Sosa are all Hall of Famers in my book (No positive test), It wasnt illegal during the time they played and in 1998-2002 no one gave a sh*t becuase everyone was getting paid within MLB. And fans where back in the stands from the strike in 1994 thanks to Sosa and McGwire!!!
Being a Bonds fan..I always thought that he was would get any edge to be the best..he worked hard..had trainers measure everything in his body, tweaked metabolism and took legal stuff..
no one talks about the pitcher on acid or the amphetamines that were common in the 1970s etc..booze and other stuff was common early on..
No one even talks about rehab and Mantle..

MLB looked the other way and then..when the popular opinion was..oh bad..they jumped on the bandwagon..

Never was as exciting as the Sosa and McGwire race to beat Maris..

It brought baseball back to the living room again..

There are a lot of opinions on this..mine is..so what..they are still doing stuff today..anything to get an edge to be a little better..otherwise, they are selling rental cars with the rest of the NCAA DIV I athletes.

If someone does something against the rules, it makes it tougher for me to collect him or her, but that's just me.

For those that there is only circumstantial evidence for? Give me a break. Without real evidence (tests indicating someone put a banned substance in his or her body) people can't get fired from their jobs. Imagine if someone said to you, "I think you look and act drunk. You're fired," without your ever providing test results that indicate such--oh, and don't forget that your boss lets you drink on the job. It's a pretty tough call, really.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(05-29-2014, 05:31 PM)jonathani Wrote: If someone does something against the rules, it makes it tougher for me to collect him or her, but that's just me.

For those that there is only circumstantial evidence for? Give me a break. Without real evidence (tests indicating someone put a banned substance in his or her body) people can't get fired from their jobs. Imagine if someone said to you, "I think you look and act drunk. You're fired," without your ever providing test results that indicate such--oh, and don't forget that your boss lets you drink on the job. It's a pretty tough call, really.
Amen..love that tie in!!

To answer the question should they be let in the Hall of Fame. Yes for those who played during the era where MLB turned a blind eye to it. There are too many players from the era connected to PED use not to let them in. Baseball is forever evolving some of the rules change, players change, the game is constantly changing maybe not the core of the game, would you deny Ty Cobb entry to the Hall of Fame for spiking players with his cleats or deny Babe Ruth entry to the Hall of Fame for being a drunk back then those were accetpatble behavors, during the height of PED use it was accepted by MLB due to lack of enforcement. Now as for players today that get busted especially more then once no way because today standards have 0 tollerance for it. But there has to be proof not just allegations