`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting to start a 1952 Topps set ?'s

Wanting to start a 1952 Topps set ?'s
For those who might have experience collecting 1952 Topps, I've read up on it a lot the last week or so and have a question...the first series of the set has both black backs and red backs of the players, any particular one more valuable/better looking/funner to collect than the other?

Kind of a silly question, but I'm a purist at heart, and if I pick one of the colors to go for, then I will want to stick with it.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Follow my families attempt to collect a 1952 Topps set!
http://journeyto407.wordpress.com/

RE: Wanting to start a 1952 Topps set ?'s
Personally, I like the red backs better but it all boils down to personal preference and what you'd like to have for your collection. The red backs are believed to be much more common than the black backs, even though the first two print runs were in black while the third was in red so I'm guessing the third set was a colossal run of cards compared to the first two print runs. The black backs do include a couple of the bigger error cards in the set though while the red back ones have the corrected versions. Johnny Sain and Joe Page have their backs reversed with the black print run but they are corrected in the red print run.

I'm not sure how much more valuable the normal cards are in black compared to red. My guess is not a whole heck of a lot more now that the internet is around but you could probably get a good guess by looking at completed listings of the same card with different backs.

The hard card for that set will be the Mantle of course and then the error/ variations of the cards. But by all means have fun and keep us posted on the progress if you will

(05-27-2014, 05:05 PM)hi desert paul Wrote: The hard card for that set will be the Mantle of course and then the error/ variations of the cards. But by all means have fun and keep us posted on the progress if you will
Agreed on that. Additionally, the high series will require a good chunk of change as well. Even commons. Amazing set though so enjoy and I wouldn't mind seeing you start a running thread of your pickups!

I forgot all about the high numbered series being scarce.

Thanks so much for the responses. My gut tells me I'll probably go for Red Backs, just because it adds a little color. And I have no preconceived notions, it's going to take a very, very long time to complete, but that's part of the fun!
(05-27-2014, 05:13 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Amazing set though so enjoy and I wouldn't mind seeing you start a running thread of your pickups!
That's a great idea...it would even add to the fun to share with others. I probably won't be picking up more than 1 a month or so, but it would be fun to share...thanks for the support!

why don't you do both black and red? make it a life long project Smile
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I have some 1952 topps we can see what kind of deal we can make. I think its around 4 or 5 yankees cards.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

Good luck with the set and with the mantle of course!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(05-27-2014, 05:27 PM)hi desert paul Wrote: I forgot all about the high numbered series being scarce.
Thanks for the nudge hi desert paul...i just got the blog up and look forward to sharing with everyone!!! I am fairly novice in forum etiquette and felt awkward starting a new thread for this, so I decided to put it in my signature instead.