`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Who Do These Guys Think They are?

"Who Do These Guys Think They are?

I have been very fortunate to get some great HOF'ers in the late 1980's and 1990's as well as some good players during Spring Training.

I have 11 of the living 500 HR's on the sweet spot and 2 albums filled with 8x 10's from Arron to Yaz.

Yet, players today such as Verlander and many others refuse to sign for fans... "who do these guys think they are". That is my favorite saying.

Hopefully adding to my collection at Cooperstown MLB Classic game.

What are other feelings about auto collecting in today's market? Post replies

Do others have the same feeling ?

RE: "Who Do These Guys Think They are?
Not sure but I bet some of the players are under somekind of contract where they can only sign for Topps
2. maybe he didn't see, you, maybe he didnt hear you, and then again maybe he was focused on the game because it was his day to pitch, maybe he was just having a bad day in personal life (wife kids girlfriend mom dad ect.)and didn't want to take it out on a fan and wants to be left alone. Maybe he wasnt feeling good and trying to avoid getting others sick. People never take these things in account when trying to get an auto from the players

I am not Verlander, Miggy, Pujols, Jeter ect. but when I do go to games and I try to get an auto I dont let it get me down it just wasn't my day for a sig.

who do "I think these people are" People. Thats all People with different things going on in their lives like you and me.

My point is dont let it get you down it just wasn't your time.

I remember a story back in the 90s where a kid tried to get autos of Aikman and he turned away from him. He got E. Smith to look at his book and he had some of the greatest players sign his book. E. Smith showed Aikman the book and the kid said " No I dont want him to sign my book now" I believe they got together at another time and Aikman signed the book and was proud to do so.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

A couple of points:
1) as stated^^^^, players are under contract to sign so take that into consideration where and when you ask
2) alot of players just don't like signing or will not sign for whatever reason. I always think of Bill Russall (basketball) who would never sign, but if you wanted to talk to him for a couple of minutes, was cool with that.
3)remember if you are at a game.....if there are many of people around, a player will not sign because they are either getting ready for the game or will not sign for anyone if they can't for everyone.
4) "who do they think they are".....can't take this personal at all. They are just baseball players, what do they owe you/me/anyone in terms of extracarricular activities.
5) alot will not sign for older people because quite a few are just getting something signed to re-sell it (see your own wording...."market")

Just my 2 cents......I collect auto's only if there is a personal connection/reason of some sort or I pull them when opening cards. Cards are what I collect.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Maybe they are just better human beings...that's always a possibility.

I remember 'fans' bugging Mattingly for autos at Spring Training in 91 or 92 and as soon as he graciously signed for them, 2 of the kids turned around (right in front of him) and high-fived each other saying "we just made $50!"
Mattingly wasn't so gracious right after that. ... Understandably so.
I saw people walk up to Joe DiMaggio at a local restaurant here in my town, just as he was putting a fork full of food in his mouth asking for an auto. He finished chewing and swallowing and said, very nicely, "sorry, but I'm under contract ( with score? Upper deck?) and can't sign. Those people were 'upset' that he refused to sign.

There's a time and a place. Sometimes there's a reason for them NOT to sign, and sometimes it's because of an over zealous fan. Sometimes they sign, but they can't do it for everyone if there are 300 fans. I'm not defending all ball players, because some are just stuck up a-holes, but more times than not, I've seen very rude fans ruin a good opportunity.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I'm sure the players know that the guys hounding them non stop for autos are just in it for the money. I would probably be the same way. Plus, I'm sure signing all the time gets old.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Thing is with so many company certified autos available it really kills the value of personally signed autos. Do anyone still buy these? I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole. I have been lucky to get some really cool items signed and I always try to get the player to personalize them for me, most seem to prefer this. The few players that act like idiots I don't waste my time.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.