`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ORG getting deleted if you don't pay

RE: ORG getting deleted if you don't pay
(05-22-2014, 11:26 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Not to be the guy making light of the situation, but I kinda view this like when Netflix raised their prices/changes their services a few years ago.

Everybody moaned and complained, were never going to pay them another dime, proclaimed the death of the company, etc., etc., etc. (Cue South Park angry protest mob, now.)

And then what happened? Most people bit the bullet, accepted the changes and moved on. And the company was just as strong, if not stronger, than it was prior to the changes.

I predict the same thing will happen here.
Netflix works
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(05-22-2014, 11:26 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Not to be the guy making light of the situation, but I kinda view this like when Netflix raised their prices/changes their services a few years ago.

Everybody moaned and complained, were never going to pay them another dime, proclaimed the death of the company, etc., etc., etc. (Cue South Park angry protest mob, now.)

And then what happened? Most people bit the bullet, accepted the changes and moved on. And the company was just as strong, if not stronger, than it was prior to the changes.

I predict the same thing will happen here.
Comparing Netflix to this site is like comparing ice cream to horse manure. I have never had many issues with Netflix because a large percentage of the time their product works correctly. Because their product works correctly I had zero problem with the initial price increase or the one coming in the next year or 2 that I was notified about recently. If this site had been working as it should have been for the last few years I would have had zero issue with continuing to subscribe to the OPG or even eating a small price increase, but it hasn't. Large numbers of collectors have left this site and trading has slowed to a crawl because of the constant issues. I've traded with you and a few others on here but the vast majority of my past traders are seemingly gone. Those of us left have been VERY patient IMO. What do we get for that? We get our Organizes held ransom by a company that is STILL trying to fix this site and that's where I think most people are pissed. Holding organize which many have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours maintaining for ransom by threatening to delete them if we don't subscribe to a still not correctly working website is a very stupid move IMO. I'm outta here on principle. Netflix is a product that is in demand and on the rise, whereas Beckett is a product on the decline representing a hobby also on the decline. I hope you are right and this place becomes what it was supposed to be, but I won't be around to find out. I have one open trade offer and I am leaving this site only and not the hobby as soon as that is done. I think Beckett has lost sight of the fact that for it to exist it needs the hobby and collectors not the other way around. I will just start over on another trade site. Sorry for the rant. I'm still seething.

Translation: It's costing them more to maintain/fix Org than they're getting in subscription fees, so they're running a test to see if enough people would pay more to make it fiscally viable. As a bonus, they're also going to be cleaning up what is probably a much more significant portion of their server space than most people realize.

They could certainly have picked a better way to spring this on us (even Netflix allowed current subscribers to keep their old monthly rate for a meaningful period of time after the latest price hike), but I totally understand this from a business perspective. Just like when Netflix disabled every user-to-user function they had, some great members who contributed a lot to the site will leave, but they will be replaced by plenty of new ones who pay more.

(05-22-2014, 12:30 PM)Harv72b Wrote: Translation: It's costing them more to maintain/fix Org than they're getting in subscription fees, so they're running a test to see if enough people would pay more to make it fiscally viable. As a bonus, they're also going to be cleaning up what is probably a much more significant portion of their server space than most people realize.

They could certainly have picked a better way to spring this on us (even Netflix allowed current subscribers to keep their old monthly rate for a meaningful period of time after the latest price hike), but I totally understand this from a business perspective. Just like when Netflix disabled every user-to-user function they had, some great members who contributed a lot to the site will leave, but they will be replaced by plenty of new ones who pay more.

Beckett is a poorly run company in a dwindling hobby in both collectors and quality and Netflix is a well run company in a still growing business and more people are switching to it every day. I'll go out on a limb and say Netflix has more subscribers and many more potential subscribers than a niche hobby like card collecting. I don't see "plenty" of new users coming into the hobby

Well I got the email today.. Thanks for the fun guys, but I wont be back. Im done......
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I just got the email too, way to jack up the price by 100% for something that doesn;t work and has more bugs than an ant farm. Adios!
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

This is just plain stupid. They are lucky to have the subscribers they have now with this level of product.

Need to call and make sure they don't auto-renew my 3 months.
(05-22-2014, 12:30 PM)Harv72b Wrote: Just like when Netflix disabled every user-to-user function they had, some great members who contributed a lot to the site will leave, but they will be replaced by plenty of new ones who pay more.
I doubt it...
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Everyone bases their trades on BV, Beckett BV.

So if everyone leaves will you not still have a need to subscribe so you can value your cards?

Yeah it sucks but until there is another way to set values across the board I will either need to get out of the hobby or bite the bullet and continue my subscription I guess.

Are they raising the price of the OPG or just ORG?
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

glad I cancelled my subscription and refused to use this for anything but the forums years ago the first time they BLEEPED us all around.

you'd think after years of yanking people around and treating them like morons people would stop paying them to do it. hopefully this is the final straw that kills what little respect a lot of us had left for beckett.

I'd still be a happy paying customer for years now had they not dropped the ball so hard with the site switchover. it is almost hilarious the trade/org is still just as crappy as when it launched with a few minor touchups made to it.

what a joke.
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

If you folks all leave you're gonna miss Customer Appreciation month in July. What better way to feel appreciated than to see 30 random members you've never heard of win cards of sports they don't collect?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html