`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
grading cards with surface scratches?
05-09-2014, 06:04 PM
grading cards with surface scratches?
I have a real nice, raw 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan card that has a light surface scratch that runs across his left knee.

Without the scratch, I would guess the card would grade a 7.5 - 8

I'm just curious as to what grades do cards with surface scratches typically receive? I know this isn't an easy question, just kind of determining whether or not I should send it in for grading. I'm also just looking for some opinions of what the grade would be.

Like I said, the scratch is very light, doesn't take away from the overall eye appeal TOO MUCH. the centering and corners are very good, edges are a little rough and of course the scratch is what would knock the grade down.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 10:26 PM
RE: grading cards with surface scratches?
19 views and not one opinion huh?
05-11-2014, 06:27 AM
no, no opinion.

but given what you have said, even without the surface, it doesnt sound like an 8

dance like no one is looking, but also, dance like everyone should be looking at you.
truthfully, one leads to the other
05-11-2014, 10:33 AM
I've seen obvious, small scratches, result in grades as low as 3.5 with 9+ sub grades elsewhere on modern cards.

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas
[Image: targeted_zpsfeaf74b4.png]
05-12-2014, 12:41 PM
What is the reason behind your thinking about getting the card graded? Is this a card you want for your PC or something you are trying to sell? Do you only want it for your PC if it grades a certain grade? For me, if I'm sending in a vintage card for my collection I want to feel pretty comfortable it will be at least a NM or 7, if below that I will start trying to upgrade right away. If I'm thinking of selling the card, I would look at the cost of grading and determine how much more a graded card would be at the grade "I think" it would grade out at and compare that to a raw card. But, I also have a PC for Jim Brown that I grade any vintage card of his I get....if low, I will continue to look for an upgrade at a good price and if I get one, I sell the old and try to get some of my money back......so....lots of variables for your question.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]
05-13-2014, 07:00 PM
(05-12-2014 12:41 PM)dmasci Wrote:  What is the reason behind your thinking about getting the card graded? Is this a card you want for your PC or something you are trying to sell? Do you only want it for your PC if it grades a certain grade? For me, if I'm sending in a vintage card for my collection I want to feel pretty comfortable it will be at least a NM or 7, if below that I will start trying to upgrade right away. If I'm thinking of selling the card, I would look at the cost of grading and determine how much more a graded card would be at the grade "I think" it would grade out at and compare that to a raw card. But, I also have a PC for Jim Brown that I grade any vintage card of his I get....if low, I will continue to look for an upgrade at a good price and if I get one, I sell the old and try to get some of my money back......so....lots of variables for your question.

I was planning on keeping it in my PC. But I think I will keep it raw and try buying a graded 8 or maybe 9 in the future.
I also want my vintage cards at least a 7 (depending on player and year).
thanks for the response.