Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How do you assign value?

How do you assign value?
Hello,

This may seem like a stupid question but how do you assign value to cards that Beckett says NA due to scarcity. I am looking to insure several cards and put in a safe deposit box but how does one determine value? Is it relative? Can I take to a card shop and have them estimate? I am clueless on this one....

RE: How do you assign value?
most people look at ebay sales or compare to comparable cards from different sets.

(05-04-2014, 07:23 PM)chazdavis Wrote: most people look at ebay sales or compare to comparable cards from different sets.
Pretty much. If you're talking about selling it locally then you also have to factor in how much star power that player has in your local market; for example, a Haloti Ngata card will probably sell for more here in Baltimore than it would in Houston.

When all else fails, list the card for five times what you think it's worth on eBay and see what kind of offers you get.

For 1/1's for example I'll look at this:

1 - If it's an auto, I'll look at BV for the /25 and /10 cards. If the /10 has a value, I usually do 1.5x more than the BV of /10. If it's /25, I do 2.5x the value for that reason. If it's not an auto, I just usually look at the values for the serial cards that aren't auto or mem and make a decision off of there.

I also look at the year of the player. More towards RC and that era are higher, but also newer stuff. It's hard to say honestly.

In reality, there is no true way to put an insurance value on the cards unless you want Beckett to give you an appraisal, but it's $15 a pop iirc.
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

1/1 like press plates I figure 75x the base
1/1 super fractors unsigned 100x base

for others I look at base vs numbered for base is 1.00 and #d to 999 is 6.00 then numbered to 500 is 12.00 nmbered to 100 is 20.00 numberd to 50 is 40.00 so from there I figure 25 would be 80-100.00 numbered to 15 125.00 to 150.00 numbered to 10 175-200 ect.
Take what I am saying with common since here to. there is no way I am going to pay 200 for a card #d to 15 for a 1/1 being cheaper but what I am trying to show you there is a ratio that can be followed you just have to put the math in it and a little common since.
Yesterday I put a 1/1 superfractor for trade and was asking 100-125 for the card but I didnt even do my homework on the card. I went back check the value of the base card and change my trade value to what I am saying here

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Lots and lots of experience. Dealing with the same cards over and over again is really the only way. I can price any Marino or Steve Young card from 2000 back for you if needed.
The opposite is also true. There are many cards that are so rare you can't sell them even close to book. I'll give an example: 1987 Ace fact pack Marino. BV is $350, but even in mint condition you'd be lucky to get $150 for one. It's not that the BV is wrong, it's the number of people who know what it's worth AND need one is small. The price guide is just that, a guide.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

I think the only way to price/value something like a 1/1 is comparable ebay sold... Terapeak comes in pretty useful here.

I sold a normally $12-$25 graded card for $50 locally b/c of who it was. So as said, take locale into consideration, otherwise do ebay research.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram