`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest surprises so far this season?

Biggest surprises so far this season?
With the new season just over a month old, what does everyone see as the biggest surprises in both teams and players so far? IMO the play of the Brewers and the way the Braves rotation has responded despite the early injuries were certainly unexpected. I would also have to say that the home run barrage that the Giants have put up (36 in 29 games, after hitting only 107 in 2013) is a welcome surprise. Player-wise, Jose Abreu (.258 11 HR and 33 RBI) and Masahiro Tanaka (4-0 2.53 ERA and 0.96 WHIP) have both been putting up solid numbers in their first year in MLB.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

RE: Biggest surprises so far this season?
I see what you are thinking but Abreu has a .258 BA. 32 SO's in 124 at bats is a lot. And the Giants home runs are nice especially 23 of the 36 are from 3 players (Belt,Morse and Posey)

The Rockies have the two highest players BA - Tulo hitting .400 !!!!! 40/100 and Charlie Blackmon .372 with 6 home runs.

I guess for me league wise is if you throw out the Cubs and Astros everyone else looks pretty even in the standings. There's no team running away.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

Not surprised Tulo is off to a hot start, just hope he can stay healthy. Blackmon has been a nice surprise, as has the 19-13 record (not optimistic about that continuing).

The Braves and Brewers are surprising, especially given the state of the Braves' rotation.

How Miguel Cabrera's slow start...not to take anything away from the man because he is still one of the greatest hitters in this generation.
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

I vote for the Rockies for sure, they have a very potent lineup that can mash with anyone. IF they can stay healthy they could win the nl west in my opinion.

Tanaka is a beast so far!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

Surprised by the O's rotation . . . oh wait, no I'm not, they're not that great as usual. Although Ubaldo had a great game against the Twinkies on Friday night. (It's not April anymore!)

Matt Wieters is my surprise of the season thru 21 games...BA-.354, OBP-.389, SLG-.598, OPS-.986 with much improved hitting from the left side. Those numbers are all above his career average so far. I hope he keeps it up! (Nice walk-off home in the bottom of the 10th on Thursday night against the Bucco's.)

I am also excited to see what a line-up with Davis (when he comes back from the DL), Jones (if he stops swinging at ugly pitches), Cruz, Markakis, Machado (when he gets his timing back) and a red-hot Wieters will do when they're all in there at the same time.
PC Card Totals:

Manny Machado - 395
Jonathan Schoop - 223
Chance Sisco - 11

Always looking for more of these guys! Let's trade!

I agree with the surprises stated above so I will include others.

Chase Utley has been a very nice surprise so far as well as AJ Burnett

The Yankees have played better than I expected also the Mets and Marlins, eventually I hope they fall off lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

And how about Justin Morneaus season so far??
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Aaron Harang.

(and the rest of the Braves starting 5)
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

Positive: Marlins, Brewers, Giants and Yankees are my suprise teams'....Rockies are not a suprise to me (except Blackmon) as they have 2 of the top 10 players in thier everyday line-up with a 3rd baseman who is bloosming into a super-duper star. The return of King Albert and Abreu's awesome slugging start.

Down the toidy: Angles (.500 isn't cutting it guys!) Hamilton (Reds) and Harper.

They make you (or me at least) say hmmmmm: Tigers and Mr Stanton - can they keep it up.

Everything else is about where I expected it to be (give or take a little) so far.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.