`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tips for a newish collector.

Tips for a newish collector.
So I am am not new to collecting, I have been doing for 5 years but for the first 4 years I only collected base. Now I am starting to collect higher end stuff and right now I have 12 pretty good autographs.If you guys could give me some advice on how to accumulate ton of autographs worth around $20 on a budget that would be great.

RE: Tips for a newish collector.
(05-03-2014, 07:10 AM)BroncoMan24 Wrote: So I am am not new to collecting, I have been doing for 5 years but for the first 4 years I only collected base. Now I am starting to collect higher end stuff and right now I have 12 pretty good autographs.If you guys could give me some advice on how to accumulate ton of autographs worth around $20 on a budget that would be great.
Are you going to stick with the Broncos?
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

(05-03-2014, 08:23 AM)jeremy7269 Wrote: Are you going to stick with the Broncos?

Yes but I am also collecting Giovani Bernard

(05-03-2014, 07:10 AM)BroncoMan24 Wrote: So I am am not new to collecting, I have been doing for 5 years but for the first 4 years I only collected base. Now I am starting to collect higher end stuff and right now I have 12 pretty good autographs.If you guys could give me some advice on how to accumulate ton of autographs worth around $20 on a budget that would be great.
Your cheapest method is obviously going to be trading, although not everyone is willing to part with mid-range autos for base cards. A few people will, however, particularly if you have base cards they need to complete sets.

Next would be auction-stalking on eBay. Particularly for players who aren't really "hot" right now, you can often find auto cards with BVs in the $10-20 range with starting bids of 1 or 2 dollars, so then it's just a matter of putting in the only bid (unless there's a reserve, of course). With enough time & patience, you could build up a very respectable auto collection this way (keeping in mind that you're going to be paying a couple bucks for shipping each time).

Finally, you can just focus your hobby money on boxes which offer a good number of guaranteed hits for the price, and hope to pull enough keepers that way. For example, Panini Select & Prizm Jumbo guarantee 4 autos per hobby box at around $70, while Momentum and Contenders guarantee 5 each in the $100/box range. Press Pass & Sage have an insane auto/dollar ratio in their boxes, but you run the risk of "scoring" autographs from players who never even make an NFL roster.

Of course the best method is almost certainly going to be a combination of the three.

For me the frustrating thing about collecting at times is trying to find value. You can get a pile of autographs around $20 but the player could end up as a bust or have a mediocre career.

As far as Broncos,

I would suggest picking up a Champ Bailey and John Lynch auto. Both of these players had great careers and you can get one of their autos for a reasonable price. I think you might be able to find a Rod Smith auto as well. He was a very good player for the Broncos but his cards were never pricey. If I think of anymore, I will let you know.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

(05-03-2014, 09:17 AM)jeremy7269 Wrote: I would suggest picking up a Champ Bailey and John Lynch auto. Both of these players had great careers and you can get one of their autos for a reasonable price. I think you might be able to find a Rod Smith auto as well. He was a very good player for the Broncos but his cards were never pricey. If I think of anymore, I will let you know.
This is also excellent advice. It seems like defensive players in general are very under-priced relative to the quality of their careers. Von Miller also comes to mind among their current players.

(05-03-2014, 09:23 AM)Harv72b Wrote: This is also excellent advice. It seems like defensive players in general are very under-priced relative to the quality of their careers. Von Miller also comes to mind among their current players.
Ya I have a few von miller autos that I got really cheap a few months back. Thanks for the advice.

I bought two Champ Bailey Auto/Patches from 2011 Topps Five Star. Both are 3 color patches and numbered to 50. I believe one was $45 and the other was $38.

I think these were a steal for a future HOFer.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

Save up your money in $100 to $200 dollar increments and buy Elway and Manning autos.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC