`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.25 Average
UPDATED: Who Wants Org Back How It Was? (Plz Post Here If So)
04-18-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: Who Wants Org Back How It Was? (Plz Post Here If So)
Well worded and expressed Roger.
I agree with your statement 100%.
I called customer service,(VERY short 6 minute wait,THANK YOU Beckett), as I was typing this.
Best I can tell,from a very helpful gentleman who spoke proper English but very accented,
the "old" sort feature will be back.
Time frame of which I'm unsure.
I suggest if this is bothering anyone as much as it is me call Beckett and talk to them as I did.

Mattingly Collection.2335 different

I'm looking for Mattingly,Pujols,All Current
& Great Yankees,& HOFers in all Sports.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2014, 03:53 PM
After having tried it for a few days, it just doesn't make sense. Count me among those who would prefer it the "old" way.

Collecting Dallas Cowboys,Tx Rangers & Nolan Ryan (any uniform)
2009 UD Americas Team
04-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I suspect come next week they may re-consider'

Looking for these Members!!
TOS
Various help topics

[Image: 72team.jpg]
Beckett Member #113 - US Army-TX
04-20-2014, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 08:23 AM by klingenwald.)
i have already made my feelings known elsewhere, but since there is a thread devoted just to this, let me reiterate my (strong) desire to have the old (alphabetical) sort back (within years).

the new org has brought both my collecting and trading to a screeching halt. i just turned down two trades today b/c physically adding any new cards to my collections the way they are currently organized would throw my org out of whack with the new beckett org system, and it would be difficult to mark these cards and disentangle if the new system reverts back. i have two stacks of cards that i want to add to my physical collections waiting . . . hoping . . . that the org goes back to its original system. everything is in a holding pattern right now (has been for a few weeks).

if it does not revert, its probably the end of the road for me on beckett. i have decided that it is simply too much work to reorganize all of my spreadsheets and physical collections to adapt to the new system (i understand the new system, i just do not like it; its not as easy or intuitive from a organizational standpoint). i will just go it alone with the solid org. base beckett has already help me build. its bittersweet because i have always appreciated this site (easily one of the best for collectors!), i have weathered the storms, delays, bugs, changes (as we all have) without fussing too much, but this most recent change, especially if it is permanent, is probably a deal breaker for me.

i sincerely hope that our friends at beckett reconsider!

"free my org"
04-20-2014, 02:26 PM
I agree with all of the previous posters that the new sort order is not user friendly and I am NOT a fan of it. While trying not passing judgement too quickly I tried out the new system this week I found that it has created more issues for my personal collection. I'll list them here:

(1) I shouldn't have to search in multiple areas within a collection for a particular card whether it's a base (main), parallel, or insert card. What was wrong when they were all grouped by year, brand, and alpha regardless of sport? I created folders to organize my cards how I like. I really don't need a system telling me how I should organize, especially when every collector/collection is different.

What happens when a new collector who is unfamiliar with what a parallel or insert card is and doesn't understand why an Upper Deck card comes before a Topps card? This could frustrate them causing them to give up when learning to organize their collection. This may seem extreme but criticism seems hard from seasoned collectors, so if they are frustrated then how would a new collector feel?

(2) I subscribe and have subscribed to the Baseball guide for over 5 years now just so I can use the organize and trade. This is the aspect of Beckett I love and there is no better anywhere else. I am primarily a player collector and everything was organized in chronological order per Beckett for well over 10 years online and even longer with magazines before that. With the change does that mean the physical magazines will reflect this? Seems odd to list all base then start over with parallels, inserts, or listing a parallel Bowman before an Upper Deck insert within the same year.

Regardless, chronological order made more sense even if rarer cards came before other more common insert/parallels and I was fine with that because it was easy to locate when I just use the alphabet to find what I need. Now after a week of trying to understand the new order system it has caused issues in my various player and misc collection folders.

Example:

(a) 2009 UPPER DECK 20TH ANNIVERSARY #52 KEN GRIFFEY JR. and other various Griffey or player cards from this set.

After my 2014 cards (last page of the Griffey folder), it starts over with all his cards that are considered multi-sport cards ranging from 1995-2011 from what I own including the 20th Anniversary card.

Clicking on the card and going to the item description page it lists it as (Sports: Baseball, Multisport) but multisport is the default and this is why it is listed last in my collection, which makes sense in ordering the cards as a set and only as a set. I collect one player from this set and nothing else and I would rather place these cards after the Upper Deck base cards (numbers start before alpha) with the rest of Griffey's 2009 cards.

(b) Another example is from 2008 Upper Deck set. These I own and this is the order they are in currently:

2008 Upper Deck Star Quest #1 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Star Quest #46 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Superstar Scrapbooks #SS7 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Superstar #139 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Documentary All Star Game #IS Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck First Edition Star Quest #SQ1 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck First Edition Star Quest #SQ46 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck X Xponential #IS Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Star Quest Rare #46 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Star Quest Uncommon #1 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck Star Quest Uncommon #46 Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck X Xponential 2 #IS Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck X Xponential 3 #IS Ichiro Suzuki
2008 Upper Deck X Xponential 4 #IS Ichiro Suzuki

Several issues here but I'll start with the Star Quest ones. No where in the item description page does it state that any of the Star Quest cards are parallels or inserts. I just know that it's a parallel insert and that's why the Star Quest Uncommon is last and that's how it was cataloged/indexed. I'll just state that I am not going to reorganize my whole collection so it follows this logic. As for the Upper Deck X cards the only reason I can think the Upper Deck X Xponential #IS is not grouped with the 2, 3, and 4 is it is because its just an insert and the others parallels inserts, although I know no collector that would separate all 4 cards of the same set.

(3) The Marketplace

If the real reason is to help in the market place it still doesn't make any sense.

Example: Looking under Baseball in the Marketplace I typed in 2009 Griffey.. very broad but a common search. Here is the defaulted result order (not clicking anything and strolling down to the Upper Deck cards)

2009 Ultimate Collection #48 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Mini Black Border #1 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Mini #1 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions #1a Ken Griffey Jr. Day
2009 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary #3 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary #4 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-In-1 Blue #12 Mike Schmidt/Manny Ramirez/Ken Griffey Jr./Alex Rodriguez
2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-In-1 #12 Mike Schmidt/Manny Ramirez/Ken Griffey Jr./Alex Rodriguez
2009 Upper Deck Spectrum #25 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goudey Mini Green Back #46 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goudey #46 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Ballpark Collection #51 Ken Griffey Jr.

Results: Everything seemed to be in chronological but when I scrolled down to the Upper Deck cards it didn't make sense (to me at least). The default order is all over the place with base, inserts, and parallels in various order. I don't know what is going on here. Well maybe I need to click the description carrot and see what that does.

This is what I get:

2009 Upper Deck A Piece of History 600 Club #600KG Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Spectrum #25 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Starquest Common Silver #SQ17 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck First Edition Star Quest #SQ17 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck First Edition #78 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Starquest Super Rare Emerald #SQ17 Ken Griffey Jr.
2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-In-1 #12 Mike Schmidt/Manny Ramirez/Ken Griffey Jr./Alex Rodriguez
2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-In-1 #76 Ken Griffey Jr./Jermaine Dye/Carlos Quentin/Jim Thome
2009 Upper Deck Goudey #242 Ken Griffey Jr. SR SP
2009 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary #239 Ken Griffey Jr./Ken Griffey Sr.
2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-In-1 Green #86 Alex Rodriguez/Ken Griffey Jr./Manny Ramirez/Jim Thome

I didn't post every card from the list but this was the order they were in so feel free to double check and see for yourself. From the results of both I am having a hard time even understanding how the order works and this is the area that dealers are looking to sell their cards. It's very frustrating for a potential buyer. I don't buy very often but when I do, it should be easy and simple to use.

(4) Lastly, I also have a small collection of cards of pros that went to my university, regardless of what pro sport they play. They are all under one folder. The new system has them in order as Baseball, Basketball, and then Football... which isn't terrible but I physically organize them by last name. So, it doesn't matter if it was in chronological order, sport, or year. Having them in chronological order is still preferred for me on Beckett as most of the players RCs are from different years and I can easily refer to who was drafted from when I was attending. In the current system I will have to check 3 different areas within the one collection.

As dhitt stated, "it is different than a simple method of alphabetizing everything, but it allows for the proper grouping of entire products together in some logical order instead of having sports and brands intermingled alphabetically."

Simple is better. I believe the best solution is to put all cards in chronological order as it was before and use the advanced search method of using filters. That's why there is a Baseball, Basketball, Football, etc filter to narrow down searches. I start a search very board and work down. Now it's MUCH more complicated to do a very basic search of "Griffey." I'm a fan of filters (this is why many collectors are frustrated when they keep disappearing in trade screens). We use them to narrow our searches and it is the best way to catalog/index cards.

I don't have any experience in IT so I don't know if this newer system order is better for the database for some reason, but from the standpoint of a collector I have to say this new system of organization is confusing, frustrating, and is not friendly to those of us who have been collecting and organizing with the old system for years.

This was a much more longwinded post than I anticipated but I just wanted to show I tested this system and didn't find it helpful or useful. I hope Beckett will really look at the feedback from their user base. I appreciate the work Beckett does to create this database and have throughly enjoyed the site and community but I am also starting to reach the end of the line with all the changes that don't seem to make my experience enjoyable.

Thank you for reading if anyone got this far!

I collect Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro, Felix Hernandez, and Leroy Herrmann.
04-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Well posted, and I totally agree.

Looking for all types of rookie cards. Only trade with a d/c #. If you have less than 25 trades you must ship first. Thanks.

[Image: 3sport.png]

Banner Thanks to CoolBrees.
04-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Yeah this is ridiculous! This explains why page 16 in my elway pc has 2011, 2012, 2013, 1985, and then 2012? Then page 17 goes back to 2012? This has got to be the stupidest thing that has been done. When I thought it was some kind of error that was fine but now that I know that this is intentional it pisses me off!

[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]
04-21-2014, 01:47 PM
OK, I come to this forum to find out what is wrong with the sort order...and if I understand this correctly - this is the FIXED sort order? LOL - there is, from what I can see, no order whatsoever to how things are now. You might go from Absolute, to Bowman, Certified, Momentum, Topps, back to Absolute, back to Bowman, etc etc...back to Absolute, Bowman...come on man, this cant be intentional, can it??? If it was, this is one of the most idiotic decisions that have ever been made about how this site should work - and believe me, there have been a lot of stupid decisions, and i've been here since WAY before 1997...
I'm not even getting into the madness going on in C to C...but at this point in time, it is completely useless. Whatever - thats provided "free" I guess - but I pay for the OPG and the way it is now, it is nearly useless as well. Come on Beckett...you are better than this. Right?

NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]
R.I.P. Beckett
04-21-2014, 01:58 PM
(04-19-2014 06:09 PM)floydtown Wrote:  I suspect come next week they may re-consider'

I like this thought. It gives me a little hope.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

[Image: ZeprockSig3.jpg]

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 03:51 PM by mrbill3.)
Kindly add my name to the list. I have not made a trade in almost two months. I have over 100K cards to trade and I'm not getting any younger. I know that this is not the main function of Beckett, but ranks
number 1 on my set of priorities. Please get it back to something I can work with. Thank you.