`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Stephen Strasburg....worth collecting anymore?

Stephen Strasburg....worth collecting anymore?
Opinions?

I know we can get into a debate about fun/hobby vs investment, but I dont like putting out too much $ for cards that will drop to a third of the value a few years later.

That being said I picked up a few cards back in the day, but never really got the one I wanted, was curious of ppl's opinions if his stock is doomed to go down, will they be stable, or have any potential?

RE: Stephen Strasburg....worth collecting anymore?
(04-16-2014, 12:29 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Opinions?

I know we can get into a debate about fun/hobby vs investment, but I dont like putting out too much $ for cards that will drop to a third of the value a few years later.

That being said I picked up a few cards back in the day, but never really got the one I wanted, was curious of ppl's opinions if his stock is doomed to go down, will they be stable, or have any potential?
His stuff has already dropped a lot from what it was when he was really hyped. I think his stuff will stay fairly stable as long as he produces and could go back a up a bit if he turns into the Ace everyone thought he would be. Now obviously if he just sucks it up it will drop more.
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

After last nights performance, his cards are listed as commons or below.
I am willing to pick up his cards at 5% BV at this point, but for a limited time, they will go lower as the day progresses!!
(Tongue in cheek and laughing as I write)

(04-16-2014, 01:07 AM)Gtbrian23 Wrote: His stuff has already dropped a lot from what it was when he was really hyped. I think his stuff will stay fairly stable as long as he produces and could go back a up a bit if he turns into the Ace everyone thought he would be. Now obviously if he just sucks it up it will drop more.
My thoughts exactly. However there are a couple more things to consider.
1) Pitchers rarely maintain their hype, and Strasburg's hype was insanely high. So it is no surprise to see his card values down from their peaks.
2) As a pitcher he only plays once a week (sometimes twice), so each game can effect the immediate market value. So it is usually better to buy after a bad game and sell after a great one.
3) He plays for the Nationals, which is probably a mid-range team in terms of market size for collectability. If he played for the Yankees or Dodgers his cards would still be up in value, and if he left the Nationals to join one of the big market teams than his value would definitely increase. The counter to that though would be if he left for a smaller market team then his card values would most likely fall.

With that being said, it is always best to collect what you like, so that if the player tanks then you will still have cards of a player you liked and it will make it easier than if you were only collecting to flip (short term or long term).

Personally, I still pick up Strasburg rookies when I can get them cheap or to help fill out a trade. I think he has plenty of potential and has shown that he can shine. Then again I am a sucker for a good young pitcher (especially one that racks up a lot of Ks), I just have to look at my Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor collection to be reminded of that.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I feel like he's still young enough and the Nats have enough potential that he's still relevant.

Plus, just looking at his rookie stuff reminds me of how much fun it was to pull him that year, so there's like intangible value there.

I've traded for a few of his cards, and it's much easier to get them than it used to be!

When I have the opportunity to get one of his earlier cards I jump on it.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

IMHO..... Never invest in a Pitcher.
WHy?
Who has had value over the years?
I can only think of Nolan Ryan
THere are a few notables: Smoltz, Glavine, Pedro, Clemons, Kershaw, Moose.
But really a pitcher just doesnt last.

Like I said my opinion

(04-16-2014, 02:30 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: IMHO..... Never invest in a Pitcher.
WHy?
Who has had value over the years?
I can only think of Nolan Ryan
THere are a few notables: Smoltz, Glavine, Pedro, Clemons, Kershaw, Moose.
But really a pitcher just doesnt last.

Like I said my opinion
The same could be said about hitters such as Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, etc. There are really only a few players (pitchers and hitters) per generation that really hold good value over the years. Even top hitters like Pujols lose a lot of value when they start slumping or their skills start deteriorating. Some pitchers you failed to mention are Greg Maddux and Mariano Rivera, which have done much better than most of the players you listed in terms of holding value. Then there are soon to be HOFers like Randy Johnson, current HOFers like Koufax, Gibson, Seaver, and even young players like Verlander and Lincecum. They all have done better in terms of holding value than a lot of the top hitters of the past 25 years.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-16-2014, 02:30 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: Nolan Ryan
+5000
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!