`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
GMA Grading

RE: GMA Grading
I sold a GMA graded 2012 Topps Update Trout on EBay for more than what the PSA 10 version sold for....so just be confident and make that shine through in your Ad and you'll sell well. GMA is quality (and they don't get into bed with Auction houses and offer 10's as "favors" to said Auction Houses)...they are clean. I agree, Alan has been very quick and courteous. I just wish they had an authorized reseller.

Just be careful if you are of the one-track PSA mentality; many times I caught them in lies and giving poor grades to good cards, which they regraded the popped out card a 2nd time and the score went up 3 points. Shady.

When PSA goes under soon, after some Federal manipulation and fake grade charges come to light, PSA graded cards will be worthless. I don't trust anyone who has admitted to fraud already. I will have my PSA regraded by Beckett or GMA (not SGC..didn't like their support nor the abnormal holder)....not sure, as I respect Beckett, as well. But the price difference is large. Both are very good companies, Beckett and GMA. Tough choice.

Where the heck did this come from? How the hell do people find these threads? On a side note, when did you ^^^^ sell that Trout?

This is exact discussion I was looking for when I googled GMA.

Thank you very much.

why pay someone to slab your cards if you dont care of the grade? just buy screw down holders, their alot cheaper. or are screw downs a faux-pas?
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

I think I am going to give these guys a try. In my opinion and I could be way off the mark but if you are not a big time customer you do not get honest grades. I know this for a fact as I sold a certain company a 1979 PSA 7 Pete Rose that was immaculate. Well, I kept an eye out on their site and low and behold about 3 weeks later a PSA 10 popped up on their site for around 1200.00. I sold it to their buyer for 9.00. Pretty easy to figure out their buyers when they are in the Boston area. I think it is pretty easy to figure out what seller I am talking about. There is no doubt in my mind certain auctions, companies and sellers get "favor" grades as I have been burnt as has a good friend of mine. This is my story as to why I am trying GMA out.

I decided to jump in after being a lurker after having this discussion with several guys (buying/selling) graded cards on eBay about regular, ordinary collectors like myself and most of the other posters who just do not get the grades that customers who are sending in thousands of cards a month get as either favors or some shady business deals going on. A grade is a grade, no matter what you send in, what kind of business you give them, who you are or what kind of cards you send them . I am not mentioning names but there is a collection of PSA high dollar cards with (D. Y*&NG Collection); I know the person personally who sold this person their PSA collection of more or less 8 and 9's with a few 10's. The 8 and 9 grades were resubmitted and came back as PSA 10's. This Rose deal did it for me with PSA; I have one order still out but I have heard a few former graders from PSA work for GMA. I could be wrong but don't be surprised within 2 to 3 years these guys are the top grading company. Hopefully if they do get the business I see them getting, they do not drink the Kool-Aid and start what I call "Favor Grading." I am never selling the cards I make player sets of so if they are a point off so be it but everything I have seen from them on eBay is pretty much spot on. I just wish they would make their label a bit for tamper proof but for what they charge you sure cannot complain about that. As for pricing, I have seen a few Maris cards go higher than PSA slabbed Maris issues. I think this sort of thinking will soon go by the wayside as I think we are going to start seeing more and more graded stuff from GMA pop on sites like eBay and others.

I hate to come across negative on my first post. I am really not! LOL! I think I have talked to enough people in the Graded Card market that all share about the same opinion that I do so I myswell share mine as well. Anyways, I am gonna try these guys out. You cannot beat their prices and their slab is no different than a PSA slab from just handling the few a collecting buddy sent them as he sent PSA a '66 Clemente that was without a doubt the nicest '66 Topps I have ever seen. It came back a 5! He sold his to a buyer from the Boston area and low and behold 3 weeks to the day a PSA 9 showed up on a certain site.

I still have one order out to PSA. I sent them two '61 Topps World Series cards with Maz heading home after hitting the walk-off in the '60 WS, two '62 Maris #1 regular issue, 2 #313 Hitting 61) and 3 AL HR Leaders; you just have to see them to believe it. As for the Maz WS cards; I have never seen this card centered with all four sides of the white border, rarely you will come across a 7 but these two I picked up literally came out of an empty '61 Topps wax box. The sellers found them in their uncle's house after he passed and my friend who owns and operates an antique mall bought the entire collection. It appears that he bought them (the uncle), sorted them and put a paper towel over the tops, no rubber bands, nothing. They kind of gave me an uneasy feeling as if this gentlemen knew these cards would be valuable as he even took padding and put the padding in the front and back ends of the cards to avoid damagng the end cards. I will post pics of the Maris' and WS cards when I get them back. Luckily, for me they were '61 & '62's. The Maris '62 Topps regular issue, #313 of him hitting '61 as well as the AL HR Leaders are my favorite all time cards. Maris is before my time but I like to collect player sets of guys my dad collected but unfortunately when he went to Vietnam a neighbor kid my grandparents felt sorry for and fed stole them all. My dad used to write to the teams when he was a kid and luckily he stil has it and gave it to me but he wrote the Indians when Maris was a rookie as my dad was a big Rocky Colavito fan and the Indians sent him back something that resembles a score card with Maris, Colavito, Hank Greenberg (GM at the time), Vic Wertz, Bob Lemon, Herb Score, Don Mossi, etc all signed it. My most treasured collectible.

Off topic but I am desperately trying to complete my Joe Niekro player set; the 82-88 stuff is kicking my butt. The Niekro boys grew up about 15 miles from me and both my boys were born in the same hospital they were. Mazeroski grew up in this are too so I am just starting his player set. I am glad I finally posted, never was a big forum fan as there is always one but for the most part I have seen pretty respectful people. Thanks!!!!
(09-01-2016, 07:50 PM)gentlevader Wrote: This is exact discussion I was looking for when I googled GMA.

Thank you very much.

Me too; I Googled GMA Grading after discussing them with a lot of guys I buy from on eBay who are in the same mindset about PSA as I am. You can read the above post. I am giving them a try. I posted I was going to send them my Maris cards that I need to complete this Topps Master Set but I only need to send in a '63 Yankees Team, '68 Cardinals Team and a '69 WS card that just shows Maris greeting Tim McCarver at the plate. I will finish the Maris set with PSA and my Colavito set I am about to start, I am going with GMA. With their prices and the reviews I have read and heard I am going to give them a shot.

I second that; Thank you all very much!

You're grading a baseball card, not the Mona Lisa. I've sent the same card to both PSA and GMA and GMA gave me a lower score than PSA. Most of the grading can be done now with scanning ocr software, leaving out the company that grades the card ENTIRELY! They take a known Gem Mint card as the base, then scan the card to be graded and create a delta of the difference and spit out a score. You're getting ripped off to pay $38 to grade a single card. As a professional collector 90% of us KNOW what the grade of the card is before sending it in. All you need is a black light, jewelers loop and a quilting ruler then watch a YouTube video. It's not rocket science. Most cards I can grade with my naked eye. You're paying for a slab and a sticker.

GMA has been around for 13 years, that tells me they must be doing something right, so far. Beckett was founded in 1984 as a guide publication, the grading came later. PSA was founded in 1998 (20 years ago) and has passed Beckett in many aspects of the industry.

IMO GMA is the youngster, and it makes the bigger boys nervous I am sure. When I was a teenager I worked for my Uncle in the Model T & A ford parts business, we were worldwide. A lot of old guys would come in to buy parts and some of them looked at me (18) like I knew nothing until my Uncle straightened them out, I could build a model T from the ground up and could diagnose any problem.

Point is I was the young guy and knew what I was doing, GMA knows what they are doing and because they are young, snobs want to turn their noses up at them.

I'm not a PSA fan, but there are an unusually high amount of one post accounts in this topic. Smells like GMA shills to me.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I see a lot of posts that are very old on this subject. I have some cards Graded by psa and they move around in the capsule. I have BGS cards and they are pretty tight I also have GMA that are very tight. I prefer BGS over PSA any day I just have issues with cost and wait time. GMA on the other hand is inexpensive and their capsules / holder's whatever you want to call them are as good as quality of not better than PSA i just like the look and feel better.

GMA lower resale is only because PSA and the old rich guys that use them have made it that way there's no difference in the card value per grading its the same and the fact they are on the stock market gives PSA dictatorship how the prices will be. If i send a single card to PSA they want $20 to grade (not including shipping) how can anyone justify sending a card raw worth $10 to be graded and think they are going to get $30+ its robbery

I'll stay with GMA and BGS (hopefully they get caught up 10+ month turnaround is crazy)

This could be the most multi-necro posted thread I've ever seen.

(06-24-2018, 12:21 PM)BlackBaron007 Wrote: IMO GMA is the youngster, and it makes the bigger boys nervous I am sure.
Sadly it's not. The rates go up and lead times get longer. If they were disrupting the market they'd force other companies to offer better, faster, cheaper services. GMA might be in the grading business but they are a niche that isn't serving the same population BGS/PSA/SGC is serving. Otherwise tons of people would get in on the $3.50 per card ($4 per jersey/thick card, $10 per auto) on 7 days guaranteed service.

Also found this thread searching for GMA too cause someone mentioned to me that GMA is equal to BGS and superior PSA.