`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Getting cards graded

Getting cards graded
Just looking for some opinions. Maybe I'll keep it going to look for input as I get more cards lol. Anyways, for those who grade cards, how do you decide which ones to get graded? Do you only get 1/1's done? Or grade everything with value from HOF type players? Or do you grade everything?
Right now I'm debating getting Aaron Rodgers' Bazooka set graded.
I look at this as a hobby, but also an investment of sorts. I want my cards to keep their value, and/or grow in case I ever decide to sell. Thoughts?

RE: Getting cards graded
would grade cards that are Low #ed, Game-Used and Autos. Especially if you are looking to get some of your money back. I like Beckett, but I like my money more. SGC has been around a while and are very affordable. I can't stand Beckett Card Club.It doesn't give you a card grade like the regular Beckett graded cards.If I send a card, I would want to know what the grade is, not NM/MT or Better. To me that is laziness by the grader, and it hurts your card value. SGC always does specials and you get you cards back in half the time and yes price cheaper than Beckett. If I had 10 cards to grade, it would cost me $60 to grade, at 21 day service.that isn't including the Insurance and shipping.
(03-29-2014, 08:28 PM)savagenate Wrote: Just looking for some opinions. Maybe I'll keep it going to look for input as I get more cards lol. Anyways, for those who grade cards, how do you decide which ones to get graded? Do you only get 1/1's done? Or grade everything with value from HOF type players? Or do you grade everything?
Right now I'm debating getting Aaron Rodgers' Bazooka set graded.
I look at this as a hobby, but also an investment of sorts. I want my cards to keep their value, and/or grow in case I ever decide to sell. Thoughts?
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

I haven't gotten anything graded in a long time so I may not be qualified to answer but this is my take....

1) I wouldn't get any 1/1 graded. Maybe get Beckett to slab it but not grade it. The reason is this....how much more unique can a 1/1 get?
Plus High End HOFer stuff would sell whether it is graded or not.

2) If you are going to "prospect" a player, I would get his auto out of Contenders graded. When the Kaepernick mania hit, the folks that already had his graded stuff, really hit it big. I would not get anything graded that was numbered less than 25 because once again, 25 copies makes the card unique enough.

Just my opinion.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

Doesn't matter if card is unique or not. I would grade a 1/1, so it wouldn't get damaged period. Atleast the card is capsulated and your card will stau beautiful for a lifetime. Plus if you show me a 1/1 and it isn't graded, you can't even demand Mint or better prices. imagine you have your entire collection in the basement, and you have a busted pipe and it floods. If the card is graded, you have a better chance of the card not getting ruined.
(03-29-2014, 08:51 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: I haven't gotten anything graded in a long time so I may not be qualified to answer but this is my take....

1) I wouldn't get any 1/1 graded. Maybe get Beckett to slab it but not grade it. The reason is this....how much more unique can a 1/1 get?

2) If you are going to "prospect" a player, I would get his auto out of Contenders graded. When the Kaepernick mania hit, the folks that already had his graded stuff, really hit it big. I would not get anything graded that was numbered less than 25 because once again, 25 copies makes the card unique enough.

Just my opinion.

(03-29-2014, 09:02 PM)jywilli69 Wrote: Doesn't matter if card is unique or not. I would grade a 1/1, so it wouldn't get damaged period. Atleast the card is capsulated and your card will stau beautiful for a lifetime. Plus if you show me a 1/1 and it isn't graded, you can't even demand Mint or better prices. imagine you have your entire collection in the basement, and you have a busted pipe and it floods. If the card is graded, you have a better chance of the card not getting ruined.
I see your point as well. My thought was if you grade a 1/1 and it comes back an 8, then were you better off not getting graded and having it in good case. Even in a graded beckett case, my stuff ends up in the fireproof/waterproof safe. The really high dollar stuff is in the safe deposit box.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

Only reason I would grade Low #ed cards, to protect my investment.plus it will eliminate forgeries down the road. Look how many people out there that think they have real Jordan Rookies, and they turned up being fake. I would blow a gasket myself. I would feel sick if my basement flooded and my collection got ruinned. I wouldn't be to upset, if they were Romo cards.

(03-29-2014, 09:02 PM)jywilli69 Wrote: Doesn't matter if card is unique or not. I would grade a 1/1, so it wouldn't get damaged period. Atleast the card is capsulated and your card will stau beautiful for a lifetime. Plus if you show me a 1/1 and it isn't graded, you can't even demand Mint or better prices. imagine you have your entire collection in the basement, and you have a busted pipe and it floods. If the card is graded, you have a better chance of the card not getting ruined.
I hear you there...I like the idea of the "graded" protection for my cards...

(03-29-2014, 08:51 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: I haven't gotten anything graded in a long time so I may not be qualified to answer but this is my take....

Just my opinion.
I've been wondering what the beckett slab is? So you think ungraded cards, if protected properly, would retain/gain enough worth? I've learned that about the contenders...Something I keep in mind now. I don't quite understand the contenders being the end-all when it comes to cards, as Supreme and National treasures look the best to me anyways lol. Thanks for the thoughts!

(03-29-2014, 09:15 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: I see your point as well. My thought was if you grade a 1/1 and it comes back an 8, then were you better off not getting graded and having it in good case. Even in a graded beckett case, my stuff ends up in the fireproof/waterproof safe. The really high dollar stuff is in the safe deposit box.
Yeah, I need to get one of those. I don't really have any monster cards outside of an Aaron Rodgers rookie auto, but the cards I have as a whole are worth a bit. It would suck to see it all disappear lol.

I grade pretty much anything I can get to the graders lol They look nicer IMO and are protected. Plus you know what the flaw is if it comes back graded low. My complete Manning PC will eventually be graded for reasons stated above as well as the registry. Beckett slabs are thick and look good. I will grade a 1/1 to preserve it plus knowing the grade helps when it comes time to sell. The slab protects it and the blue "Authentic" label turns a lot of people off simply by wondering what your minimum grade was and also tampered cards are slabbed with the blue label so it appears tampered with. A 9 or 9.5 will add a TON of value to a 1/1 or low numbered cards. I have even sold an 8 for more than it went for raw.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-29-2014, 10:58 PM)branesergen Wrote: I grade pretty much anything I can get to the graders lol They look nicer IMO and are protected. Plus you know what the flaw is if it comes back graded low. My complete Manning PC will eventually be graded for reasons stated above as well as the registry. Beckett slabs are thick and look good. I will grade a 1/1 to preserve it plus knowing the grade helps when it comes time to sell. The slab protects it and the blue "Authentic" label turns a lot of people off simply by wondering what your minimum grade was and also tampered cards are slabbed with the blue label so it appears tampered with. A 9 or 9.5 will add a TON of value to a 1/1 or low numbered cards. I have even sold an 8 for more than it went for raw.
Ah ok. Thanks for the input! I do like the look of the graded cards...and for Manning I can totally see why grading would be a great idea lol. I'm leaning that way with my Rodgers cards, at least the rookie and really nice ones I hope to have one day :p I'm thinking of grading maybe the 1/1's to the /10s of my other guys, just to protect and show them off. And the Contenders just because of the possible worth later on.

Plus if you get a bad grade on some cards, you can always sell it and try for another if it's not a 1/1...and I think the 1/1's will still sell better graded, even if it's a bad grade, just because they are the ONLY ones...not like someone can shop for a better grade somewhere else lol

Here is a SGC Graded Card.

[Image: _57_zps4ed215f3.jpg]

Usually when they do a Special, it is $6 or $7 for 21 day service. These cards do look sharp in my opinion. But it is what you like that counts.