`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Please help me settle a disagreement about being a bad fan

OT: Please help me settle a disagreement about being a bad fan
A stupid conversation turned somewhat heated with a buddy over what constitutes a bad fan. He is a blind loyalist to the Phillies and thinks they do no wrong and even if they do he just takes it with a smile and will never bad mouth them. I on the other hand have been slamming this team for a couple years now cause I saw the horrible moves the owners, president, and GM have been making and how they sent the team into the crapper again. A week from Opening Day and there is ZERO buzz in Philly just more Eagles talk. I still love the team but am very vocal about the bad moves and how I think they will be fighting the Marlins for last place this year. I still wear Phillies stuff and will catch a bunch of games this year because prices will plummet on Stubhub. Is it being a bad fan to criticize the teams moves and for being realistic about how bad the team is or should I just swallow whatever crap they put out and be sunshine and lollipops? Thanks for any input. I know it's trivial but would like some feedback.

[Image: amaro_zps15964cbb.jpg]

RE: OT: Please help me settle a disagreement about being a bad fan
when a team deserves criticism, you are being a bad fan if you DONT look at it critically

however, if you ONLY look at a team negatively (or positively), i think that is being a bad fan

also: a fan in philly who isnt critical? we call that the exception to the rule Tongue
**ducks 'D" batteries thrown at me**

I think informed criticism is more of a mark of a good fan than anything. Blind criticism just for criticism's sake is another thing altogether.

As a Cubs fan, nothing is ever sunshine and lollypops for me, but I go anyways. That doesn't mean I can't question what on earth they are doing (especially to Wrigley, JUMBOTRONS?!? AMIRIGHT?). I'm still a loyal fan of the team - I buy season tickets and merch (and a lot of beer at the ballpark) and will never root against them. My money is where my mouth is....errr something like that.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

As fans, you aren't doing your team any favors if you blindly follow whatever the front office does and keep rewarding them for their dumb moves. Sounds like you are the better fan.

(03-25-2014, 11:45 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: when a team deserves criticism, you are being a bad fan if you DONT look at it critically

however, if you ONLY look at a team negatively (or positively), i think that is being a bad fan
I agree. I will still cheer for them but I won't bite my tongue when the President of the team says if the GM hits on 30% of his decisions that's good cause it would get you in the HOF as a player. I won't bite my tongue when the worst GM in baseball re-signs over the hill players like Rollins and Utley instead of trading them for prospects when everyone saw the team in decline. Most people I know were willing to give the Phillies a pass if they got rid of some of the vets and let the kids (Franco, Asche, Biddle,....) play. I am looking forward to the season and hope to be surprised by a playoff contending team but won't hold my breath.
(03-25-2014, 11:45 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: also: a fan in philly who isnt critical? we call that the exception to the rule Tongue
**ducks 'D" batteries thrown at me**
Being a Red Sox fan I only have one question about this statement. Are you the pot or the kettle? Smile
(03-25-2014, 12:06 PM)glassnickels Wrote: I think informed criticism is more of a mark of a good fan than anything. Blind criticism just for criticism's sake is another thing altogether.

As a Cubs fan, nothing is ever sunshine and lollypops for me, but I go anyways. That doesn't mean I can't question what on earth they are doing (especially to Wrigley, JUMBOTRONS?!? AMIRIGHT?). I'm still a loyal fan of the team - I buy season tickets and merch (and a lot of beer at the ballpark) and will never root against them. My money is where my mouth is....errr something like that.
Informed criticism is what I would call my stance. It's not like I'm the Randy Quaid character in Major League and just pissing all over everything. I do that with the Eagles. BTW, are they really putting jumbotrons in Wrigley?
(03-25-2014, 02:08 PM)rossmaute Wrote: As fans, you aren't doing your team any favors if you blindly follow whatever the front office does and keep rewarding them for their dumb moves. Sounds like you are the better fan.
Thanks. I'm not saying I am a better fan. I'm just saying to him I am not a bad fan

(03-25-2014, 02:11 PM)phillies816 Wrote: Being a Red Sox fan I only have one question about this statement. Are you the pot or the kettle? Smile
we dont throw batteries. we throw snowballs

(seriously: we are getting snow again tomorrow. we'll probably have snow on opening day. i wouldnt be surprised to see snow on patriot's day)

Tell your friend to take off his rose colored glasses a real fan knows when his team is average or making bad moves. There is nothing wrong with bashing the team for it if anything it makes you a better fan cause you see the problems and want them fixed.

The beauty of baseball is that there is always hope on opening day. That being sad, I completely agree with you. This team has been going no where but down with all of their terrible moves and signings the past couple years.

The proposed Jumbotron. Not as bad as others I've seen as far as design, but it's all the nonsense that goes on it that kills me. Kiss Cam is part of my nightmares.
[Image: 22820981_SA.jpg]
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

The thing that irritates me the most about some fans is the ones who won't give a new player/coach/GM, etc., the "chance to suck" first before automatically calling it a bad move.

Case in point — wrong board, I know — but the Raiders fans out here on Bay Area radio are just SLAMMING the Matt Schaub trade.

I mean, I get it, he sucked last year, and I'm not a Schaub fan by any means.

But it seems like even the most jaded/hardcore fans want their teams to succeed, so it seems to me they would support the guy until he gives them a reason not to, right?

Vice versa, the A's fans LOVE the trade for Jim Johnson as their new closer.

But, it's entirely possible he could totally pull a Valverde this year, right?

Point being, these are both new guys on new teams out here, seems like everyone would give them both the benefit of the doubt before calling it a good or bad move before the season starts.