`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
White Whale question

White Whale question
I have a 2013 Triple Threads card that has text on the back saying "White Whale" and has a 1/1 serial number. The front looks and feels like a printing plate (the black version to be exact). I don't see any cards in the Beckett database for White Whale, however I do see the printing plates listed for this card, including the black one.
Do all of the 2013 Topps Triple Threads printing plates (each of the 4 colors) have the "White Whale" notation on the back, just the black ones, or is this some other card that Beckett doesn't have in their database?
I am just trying to figure this out so I can make sure I put it in the correct spot in my ORG for my Gyorko PC.
Here are pictures of the front and back for reference.
[Image: 20140321_162521_zps547bd287.jpg]
[Image: 20140321_162431_zps69be80e1.jpg]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: White Whale question
To the best of my understanding the white whales are just the printing plates, and there are 4 of them. So yes. I'm sure there are some that are more knowledgeable to give you a more certain answer though.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(03-21-2014, 03:52 PM)petillo64 Wrote: To the best of my understanding the white whales are just the printing plates, and there are 4 of them.
That is what I thought, but I want to be sure before putting the card in my ORG.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

well if its a black why dont they call it the Black Whale LOL

Nice card by the way
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Triple threads white whales have 4 variations just like printing plates. For some reason, the beckett database has never listed out the 4 separately
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(03-23-2014, 02:38 PM)iconms Wrote: Triple threads white whales have 4 variations just like printing plates. For some reason, the beckett database has never listed out the 4 separately
So are they the same as the printing plates or additional to the printing plates. The card itself looks and feels like it is a printing plate that has been mounted to cardboard, so if there are printing plates in addition to the white whales I am going to start questioning whether both or either plate was actually used during the printing process.
Does anyone know for sure about this? Thanks

My knowledge about the White Whale.
They must include all of the following ...

1) One of the four printing / press plates
2) a signature of the player (sticker or on-card)
3) a GU patch /uni
4) printed on back: 1/1 White Whale

I believe those are the correct and complete parameters necessary for white whale status.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-24-2014, 10:54 PM)djohn Wrote: So are they the same as the printing plates or additional to the printing plates. The card itself looks and feels like it is a printing plate that has been mounted to cardboard, so if there are printing plates in addition to the white whales I am going to start questioning whether both or either plate was actually used during the printing process.
Does anyone know for sure about this? Thanks
Your card in the OP looks like the Cyan version. There will be 4 in total (also Black, Magenta, Yellow). These White Whales that are AU/GU are essentially the printing plates. There will not be a "base" printing plate for this card
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(03-25-2014, 08:07 AM)iconms Wrote: Your card in the OP looks like the Cyan version. There will be 4 in total (also Black, Magenta, Yellow). These White Whales that are AU/GU are essentially the printing plates. There will not be a "base" printing plate for this card
Ok, thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out. You may be right about it by Cyan instead of Black, as there is somewhat of a bluish tint to it. It sure would be easier to tell if they labeled them like they do for regular plates.

(03-25-2014, 08:38 AM)djohn Wrote: Ok, thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out. You may be right about it by Cyan instead of Black, as there is somewhat of a bluish tint to it. It sure would be easier to tell if they labeled them like they do for regular plates.
Right? That would've cleared up some confusion I had when I first started collecting 1/1 White Whale cards.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.