`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player Discussion- Pudge or Piazza?

Player Discussion- Pudge or Piazza?
I'm sure most would agree that 2 of the best catchers of the 90's were Ivan Rodriguez and Mike Piazza. Recently, I was looking into possible buying myself my first Piazza auto and noticed how much more they typically sell for than a rodriguez auto. I've always believed that pudge was the better player (mike was the better hitter but ivan was WAY better defensively). Is there just so few piazza autos out there? Is it because of the teams they played for? Who would you rather have on your team?
[Image: w6CF1RN.png]
Another great banner by jbel4331!

Also collecting Brewers prospects and Hall of Fame autos

RE: Player Discussion- Pudge or Piazza?
If I had to pick between Piazza and Rodriguez to be on my team I would go with Rodriguez without a doubt. To answer your question about why Piazza stuff generally sells at a higher premium than Ivan's, a lot of it is based on the popularity of the player, and since Piazza played on teams with more attention from the media during their times (LA and NY), that could also play a part in determining how well their cards sell.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Rodriguez was the better catcher. Piazza was the better hitter. I'd say IRod was the greater player. Of course Piazza would account for more runs offensively but IRod would keep the other team from scoring runs. I collect both players but if I was to pick just one to be on my team, I'd probably take Piazza because my team plays in Fenway Park.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Pudge was a better catcher defensively. But Piazza was underrated defensively because of his arm wasn't as strong. He was very good at balls in the dirt and blocking them as well as calling a good game. He also was good at retrieving bunts etc.
As far as who I'd rather have on my team- I'd go with Piazza hands down. He wasn't a liability behind the plate and the difference between Pudge and Piazza was mostly the ability to throw out runners.

Pudge had a .991 fielding pct. and Piazza had a .989 fielding pct., Basically insignificant difference.
Piazza allowed half a stolen base per game on average more than Pudge. He not only made it up with the bat, but he also made it up by the players around him who got more pitches to hit.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

I would definitely take Pudge over Piazza for a lot of the same reasons listed above. Just find you a dual auto of them and add both.

[Image: MikePiazzaIvanRodriguez_zps9bf7e8a0.jpg]

Holy crap that is sick!
[Image: w6CF1RN.png]
Another great banner by jbel4331!

Also collecting Brewers prospects and Hall of Fame autos

Piazza without a doubt. Offense was much better than Irod. Defense was close but give the nod to Irod. The over/under goes to Piazza.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

I would take Piazza he is the best hitting catcher of all-time. Unless you count Josh Gibson.

Until the mid-2000s Piazza signed almost nothing card-wise (the 1996 SPx auto was the only one forever). And even now, good luck getting anything certified on card for less than $150. I myself only have his auto on a ball (certified, dunno the cost, it was a gift) but my #1 wishlist card is still the 1996 SPx Tribute, which pops up from time to time and sells at around $200. Unfortunately his auto is also very easy to forge, so gotta be super careful there.

I agree with your other assessment. Pudge was definitely the better guy defensively and Piazza offensively. (From what I understand they're good friends though.) Unfortunately Pudge just never had the same level of popularity/celebrity as Piazza and I think that's why his stuff doesn't carry the same value.

Piazza himself often said his arm wasn't as strong, and he has small hands, so getting a quick and accurate grip on the ball to stop the steals was always problematic.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile