`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Does Anyone Grade Anything Other than Chrome or Contenders?

Does Anyone Grade Anything Other than Chrome or Contenders?
As some of you know, I submit a lot of patch autos into BGS for grading. Most of the time, I'm extremely pleased when they come back a 9.0. Of course, 9.5 is even better when you can get them.

I peruse a number of different card forums and have realized that the trend has shifted more towards grading the past 3 yrs. most people are hoping for and looking for the Gold stickers. Also, a lot of the collectors seem a lot younger. When you read postings, it's always about expecting 10's and 9.5's otherwise, the card is crap....which of course isn't true.

I realized that 95% of the graded cards shared are almost all Topps Chrome or from Contenders. It got me to thinking. Is anyone submitting things for grading other than those products?

I know a lot of the old guard pop into the boards periodically. I would love to hear about what people are getting graded that we never see.

Feel free to share what products you grade and why? It might be informative and helpful to other collectors.....like me.

RE: Does Anyone Grade Anything Other the Chrome or Contenders?
For me, I tend to grade anything that I think is worth having slabbed, (Marshawn Lynch items that are low serial #, or I think will grade well), or items that I believe grade well, and are worth significantly more when graded.

I don't tend to get Chrome graded, but I did do a few Contenders only because it was a Lynch cracked ice, and well no one else has them graded.
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

I grade almost any and everything. I grade for protection and to also see if there are any flaws I missed. I love graded cards. What I don't get graded I tend to want to sell or trade. I see the influx of people you speak of. The flippers who grade the most sought after product for returns (Chrome & Contenders, also NT) so if it isn't a 9.5 they wont make a profit. All I see are people who don't know how to sell graded cards. I have cards that are graded 7's that I don't consider "junk". I grade what I like or what I think will look good in a slab. Everything else I chalk up to "This hobby has always been about money and what its worth and that's just all it is"

If you wanna take a look at what I've been grading - Here you go Smile This was my last submission.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1554224.html
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I would grade all cards if I had a choice. Those who say 9 is crap, can alway send it my way, lol. It's those who want to flip cards and try to make money who would say something stupid like that. Those of us who have been around the block would know 9 is all good.
(03-06-2014, 04:01 PM)melcmd Wrote: As some of you know, I submitted a lot of patch autos into to BGS for grading. Most of the time, I'm extremely pleased when they come back a 9.0. Of course, 9.5 is even better when you can get them.

I peruse a number of different card forums and have realized that the trend has shifted more towards grading the past 3 yrs. most people are hoping for and looking for the Gold stickers. Also, a lot of the collectors seem a lot younger. When you read postings, it's always about expecting 10's and 9.5's otherwise, the card is crap....which of course isn't true.

I realized that 95% of the graded cards shared are almost all Topps Chrome or from Contenders. It got me to thinking. Is anyone submitting things for grading other than those products?

I know a lot of the old guard pop into the boards periodically. I would love to hear about what people are getting graded that we never see.

Feel free share what products you grade and why? It might be informative and helpful to other collectors.....like me.
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

The irony of course is that while they want to grade Chrome and Contenders because those are popular, they are also relatively easy to get 9.5s. Then they jack up the price but don't seem to get the notion that their gem mint cards aren't that rare because you can probably find a raw copy that is just as good. I don't grade a ton for pretty much this reason but I have been submitting a few with RW34's 45-day group submissions. Mostly do hobby-significant cards (i.e. superstar/HOF RCs, vintage, etc) if they are in nice condition but have done some PC stuff for protection purposes, especially for autos that are on fabric. Maybe that will help prevent/slow the bleeding that seems to happen over time...
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

RE: Does Anyone Grade Anything Other than Chrome or Contenders?
(03-06-2014, 04:01 PM)melcmd Wrote: As some of you know, I submit a lot of patch autos into BGS for grading. Most of the time, I'm extremely pleased when they come back a 9.0. Of course, 9.5 is even better when you can get them.

Feel free to share what products you grade and why? It might be informative and helpful to other collectors.....like me.
Mel,
My whole modern pc is BGS graded. Currently Urlacher is around 650, 300 Briggs, 75 Forte, have a few other Bears too. I got a big order back like 2-3 weeks ago. I had to take a day off of work just to check it in and put them away in order. I wish I could find sometime to do some scanning. I'll try to get some up in the next couple of weeks.

John
[Image: ZZZBearsBanner1.jpg]
Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher Supercollector

I Grade a lot of my National Treasures stuff. The main reason I do is just because I like the protection for 1 but I also enjoy the thrill and excitement of seeing what I get. I will say though as most people who've done a good bit of grading can most of the time I have a good idea what a card will grade when I send it. I have I believe 30 or so out to BGS right now that I sent in Wendy's latest submission, most of which are also National Treasures. Here's a link to some of my graded stuff if anyone cares to look.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/biglum...wap&page=1
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

Just in my opinion, there are certain products that get graded for two reasons:
1. Value - Like you said, contenders and chrome get graded every year. Those two products are top selling boxes year in and year out. Before 2009, there weren't as many parallels as there are today. Since Bowman Chrome is basically long and gone, Topps Chrome gives you the chance to pull red, gold, blue wave, prism, black, pink and basic refractors. Contenders puts cards of players who have SP's that are less than my current age (24)
2. Condition - Topps and Panini usually put out boxes that don't butcher your cards while still in the packs, unlike some other company.....cough cough UD.....
I've bought a ton of 2013 Topps Museum cards and when I send them off to grading, I feel like I wont get less than a BGS 9. Topps and Panini make a good card. It is sturdy, more times than not, doesn't come out of the box with chipping on the corners and battered edges. And when buyers/collectors see that, they feel more confident sending in those cards to be graded.

Every year, Treasures and Exquisite come out being the highest paying boxes. I feel like since Panini sees how much we pay for Treasures, the company needs to make high end cards to keep their value not coming out damaged. They make a great product with it every year and they haven't disappointed me yet.

I have bought one box of Exquisite in my life and I regret it. The only card that didn't come out damaged was a base card.

Like I said, just my opinion
[Image: child_please_banner_49ers_zps677193f9.jpg]

(03-06-2014, 04:14 PM)branesergen Wrote: I grade almost any and everything. I grade for protection and to also see if there are any flaws I missed. I love graded cards. What I don't get graded I tend to want to sell or trade. I see the influx of people you speak of. The flippers who grade the most sought after product for returns (Chrome & Contenders, also NT) so if it isn't a 9.5 they wont make a profit. All I see are people who don't know how to sell graded cards. I have cards that are graded 7's that I don't consider "junk". I grade what I like or what I think will look good in a slab. Everything else I chalk up to "This hobby has always been about money and what its worth and that's just all it is"

If you wanna take a look at what I've been grading - Here you go Smile This was my last submission.

Nice stuff Doc, the Barry Sanders Exquisite black auto is my favorite.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

(03-06-2014, 04:14 PM)branesergen Wrote: I grade almost any and everything. I grade for protection and to also see if there are any flaws I missed. I love graded cards. What I don't get graded I tend to want to sell or trade. I see the influx of people you speak of. The flippers who grade the most sought after product for returns (Chrome & Contenders, also NT) so if it isn't a 9.5 they wont make a profit. All I see are people who don't know how to sell graded cards. I have cards that are graded 7's that I don't consider "junk". I grade what I like or what I think will look good in a slab. Everything else I chalk up to "This hobby has always been about money and what its worth and that's just all it is"

Those are things of beauty! Amazing.

I used to grade everything, too. Not as much any more. If it's numbered to 10 or less, I grade them all. If under 25, it depends on the set. I do grade patch cards to decrease the chance of someone calling nice patches fakes somewhere down the road.

Some cards just have to be graded and encased just to protect soft corners and further damage.

If it's for the PC, I'll grade it. If the grade isn't what I had hoped, I can always replace it if another shows up. Not always easy for low numbered cards though.

Everyone of your cards deserves to be in a PC. Smart choices, sir!