`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Older sets worth collecting?

RE: Older sets worth collecting?
(03-06-2014, 09:11 AM)erikburg Wrote: Yeah right now I'm going to work on 1990 Score because that rookie class is terrific and I love the card design. After that 98-99 UD MVP/Collector's Choice for the Stick-ums and the DYO series.

Too bad everybody threw away all those cards in recent years because they're virtually worthless. Haha, oh well. I'll be buying lots of random lots to start!
It's great you're getting back into collecting again. I focus on the Canadiens with Lafleur as my central player. I had intended to collect all his cards but then in 1999 after a seven year hiatus they started making Lafleur cards again like mad and one-of-a-kinds and so I have focused on completing my set up to 1992. I now have all his cards to 1992 except 1984-85 Kellogg's Accordion Discs Singles #21, 1989-90 Nordiques Police #15, 1990-91 Nordiques Petro-Canada #14, and the 1971-72 Sun Photos from Vancouver, Toronto, and Moncton. I have plenty of 1999 and up but they are so expensive now that I usually only purchase the less expensive cards. As far as sets go, my pet set to collect is 2001-02 Topps Heritage. It is my all-time favourite set. I probably have a little more than half the master set now, my goal of course is to collect the complete master set. It may take me the rest of my life at the rate I am able to afford to purchase the cards. You might like to know that I am one collector who holds on to all those worthless old cards...I have boxes and boxes of old worthless cards, including 1990 Score. I have mostly the Canadian set but I do have some of the American set if you are also collecting it. Let me know if you are interested. Have fun collecting again!
[Image: INCREDIBLE8_sized.jpg]

(03-07-2014, 05:04 PM)bung777 Wrote: You might like to know that I am one collector who holds on to all those worthless old cards...I have boxes and boxes of old worthless cards, including 1990 Score. I have mostly the Canadian set but I do have some of the American set if you are also collecting it. Let me know if you are interested. Have fun collecting again!
Yeah, worthless cards indeed. But so charming!

Does anybody know of good places and/or people to buy lots of older cards from? That seems to be about the only way to pull those cards. Thanks

I continue to collect OPC which have collected since the 70's lol. Collect what you like and enjoy.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

Collect something you want to show to someone else who doesn't even care. When I get a card in the mail and can't wait to show my Wife knowing she couldn't care less, I know I'm on it. My youngest Daughter humors me with the more recent Blackhawks I collect, but I can even show her an old Ernie Banks and get a, "Cool!" out of her. She's 15. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I treasure it now!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I've got tons of older cards listed in my org for trade, if one of the other guys with these cards can't fill the holes in your collection, you might want to check my org before buying them...

Or...... you can usually find flat rate boxes with old collections on the Bay, good way to get a ton of cards if you're not picky about condition, duplicates, or different sets.
Building sets, and collecting Alex Ovechkin, Calle Johansson,
Craig Laughlin and Braden Holtby

welcome to the site

and rule #1 collect what make you feel great
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

JJ is bang on.

Plus what makes you happy has that added value!