`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like UD is...

RE: Looks like UD is...
(02-26-2014, 07:38 PM)mq13 Wrote: ... getting the exclusive license for producing hockey cards. I was hoping that all 3 companies get a piece of the pie. I hope UD does not fall back to their old ways again.
"Does not fall back"? When did they fix their old ways? Bleccch!

(02-27-2014, 04:06 PM)pens1fan Wrote: UD has done mostly nothing to adapt over the last 4 year since Panini was also producing NHL cards. Their customer service still stinks and they have very little presence on the net(ie, product previews, interaction with collectors) and quite a few of their releases have just looked really ugly. That being said I hope that at least the NHL/NHLPA will cut the number of releases that they allow UD.
My experiences with Panini CS wasn't really any better. And, overall, I feel like Panini spent too much effort trying to compete for UD's share of the market rather than develop in their own space.

They were very good at marketing and setting expectations, but I feel that they fell short most of the time meeting those expectations. Looking back at 4 years of Panini, 10-11 Dominion, 11-12 Prime and 12-13 Prime are the only three boxes I can find which sell at-or-above the original MSRP with several selling at less than 50% of Panini's original price-points. A lot of collectors have been raving about Prizm this year, but few were 'buyers' at the original $100/box price tag and I tend to agree, it's a much nicer set for $55/box...

Panini also failed to create any type of brand continuity. Dominion had appeal and then fell to 'bonus' pack status in 12-13 before getting re-configured in 13-14. Score saw four re-configurations in four years (10-11 had impossible SSPs, 11-12 was best imo, 12-13 had no SSPs, 13-14 doubled price). Calling something by the same name doesn't really cut it... Prime was as close as Panini came to a signature product/brand/configuration.

I actually think it was smart of UD to not change much. For all the shortcomings and criticisms, they do a good job of appealing to a large audience and keeping product available over a range of budgets. I'm hoping that they do bring back a couple of low-end offerings. There hasn't been a single box of cards released in 13-14 under $50! Score has fallen below $50 (original MSRP was $72/box for retail configuration) and OPC and Prizm are both close to $55 right now.

It's great to release sets and see where us 'seasoned' hobbyists will spend our hobby dollars, but if you want to get kids into it, you have to release something they can afford... [I started collecting at 6-8 yrs old and no way my parents would (or let me) spend $100 on a box of cards...]
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

I was hoping for 3 companies to be honest...
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(02-28-2014, 04:16 PM)fred bear Wrote: I'm hoping that they do bring back a couple of low-end offerings. There hasn't been a single box of cards released in 13-14 under $50! Score has fallen below $50 (original MSRP was $72/box for retail configuration) and OPC and Prizm are both close to $55 right now.
First one out for UD from what I hear will be MVP in August and Ultra in September.

I don't know. I used to think the more in the market the better. But it seems like right now, I'm reminded of a day in the 90's when RC did not mean anything after their name as far as value goes. Now i see just because you pull an autograph doesn't mean you have anything special and the same goes for jersey.

I'm looking through my Panini Prizm that i just busted (only a blaster, but hey) and the rookie cards are nearly the same book value as the base, and i pulled an autograph that is not even worth RC's coming out. I used to think that pulling an autograph was at least a 15 book minimum, not anymore. It scares me is what it does. Maybe with UD holding the only license, they wont flood the market with autographs and jersey cards and things might go back to some what normal.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches