`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a Babe Ruth Relic.

Question about a Babe Ruth Relic.
I know this is a loaded topic and I don't want to bring up any drama. But what are your guys thoughts for Babe Ruth "bat" cards. Thinking of buying one from Sterling and I know there were issues in the past with them actually being bench seats and whatever. Am I just being paranoid, or should I just pass?

RE: Question about a Babe Ruth Relic.
On a side note though with older players, like really older legends, it actually disturbs me a little that relic cards exist at all. Ok a Jeter or Cabrera bat card big deal, Sidney Crosby Jersey no prob, there are probably a few thousand bats lying around that could legitimately be traced to each (assuming legitamicy) and the same with hundreds of jerseys being able to be traced back to most players, but cutting up a Ruth bat, George Vezina's original hockey goalie pads, or Jim Brown's shoes...that to me is just wrong and those items should be in collections whole, museums, or the respective sports hall of fame (that of course could just be the history degree in me speaking).

That being said think of it this way. With the whole game used scandal that came out I am of the opinion that any recent relic card is suspect, but at the same time a jsy card of a Tiger to me is still desirable as I collect the player and the team, not the piece of cloth stuck in between. Now with a Ruth relic the price point jumps considerable, but to me the dilemma would be the same: Do you want a unique card of this player and pay the going rate, or not? And if so what price are you comfortable with?
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Myself, I dislike relic cards of any sort. (I'll take a Phillie in a trade, but they honestly go into a box, to see the light of day the next time I open it to put something else in). I agree with rmpaq5 regarding the old timers stuff.....if I want a players shirt , glove shoe or bat, I want the whole thing....not a piece.

If they were authen. as to a specific season or date....maybe I'd purchase one...but this hobby is so shady you have every right to be parinoid. That being said....how much DO YOU WANT IT and how much trust do you put in the seller?

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

When the card companies decided to change the stated terminology from "game-used jersey, bat, shoes, etc" to "relic" I decided that was enough for me.
From there on I felt that the companies did not want to take any responsibility/liability for the material that was used/inserted into the products we as consumers purchased.

(02-23-2014, 10:37 PM)juda7 Wrote: When the card companies decided to change the stated terminology from "game-used jersey, bat, shoes, etc" to "relic" I decided that was enough for me.
From there on I felt that the companies did not want to take any responsibility/liability for the material that was used/inserted into the products we as consumers purchased.
I totally agree with you. If I was in the market for a Babe Ruth bat card then I would certainly buy one that states specifically that it is from "a bat used by Babe Ruth in a major league baseball game", otherwise it leaves the door wide open for any number of other pieces of wood to be cut up and used in the card. Even when a card company says, "Babe Ruth game used bat" it could be a Babe Ruth model bat that someone used in a company softball game. The more specifics the company puts down on the card the better I feel about buying it.
That being said, I don't know what the verbiage is on the Sterling Babe Ruth cards, but I would definitely find out before considering whether to buy one or not. If it simply says "game used relic" or "game used memorabilia" then it definitely could be a piece of a stadium seat, so I would be leery about buying it.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I suggest going for the earlier cards such as Playoff's Tools of the trade or the GU Cards from 2001-2004 those cards actually give more detail as to what the swatch is & who & when used it....

On the other hand into regards of what other's say.....I agree & disagree....I think it is wrong to slice & dice a piece of history, however instead of 1 person or a museum owning the historical piece, more people get to own a piece of history too by cutting it up.....As long as there is a least 1 whole piece of whatever it is (jersey, bat, shoe, hat) safely kept intact such as the HOF.
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards