`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would you change to the game?

RE: what would you change to the game?
to ensure the game survives, i think it's important to keep kids interested. more tickets available to kids groups just to get them interested.

as for the game itself, shortening the game is a plan...but really, how much shorter on average would you make it?

let's cut down on interleague play. not completely, but just down to a handful of teams across leagues per year. makes powerhouses such as the yanks vs dodgers less frequent, but yet more meaningful.

dh in both leagues. cuts down on manager scheming, but allows quality pitchers to stay in games longer.

Cut down on the time between pitches. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems to me that the average game time 30 years ago was closer to 2 hours. If you watch any of these games, the pitcher gets the ball, the sign and pitches. Often he closed out an inning in the time it takes many current pitchers to pitch to one batter. Working quickly to a batter allows the pitcher to develop a rhythm, which I would think (speculation on my part) should allow said pitcher to work deeper into a game (assuming he is still pitching effectively).
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

(02-20-2014, 12:05 AM)kstjst Wrote: dh in both leagues. cuts down on manager scheming, but allows quality pitchers to stay in games longer.
+7
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

While I agree that they could definitely do something to speed up the time between pitches, I don't see it being the huge problem everyone else is making it out to be. Last time I checked, football games are all 3+ hours long, too, and that doesn't seem to affect the NFL's popularity one bit. Now, having numerous pitching changes grind the game to a halt is a different story...

All in all, I don't think baseball is really in all that much trouble. If you look at MLB and each club's revenues, they all seem to be in mighty fine shape financially. It's more of a regional sport now instead of a huge nationwide juggernaut like the NFL. But looking ahead, I bet a lot of those young athletes that would normally choose football may decide to avoid a sport with such high instances of head- and life-long-injuries and go with one with exploding professional contracts and a wider employment market.