`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
buying from international sellers

buying from international sellers
I'm thinking about buying a card from someone who lives in Guam and the shipping to the U.S. is free which surprised me, but my question is this;
Has anyone had to pay customs fees or any other international shipping fees when buying a card (on Ebay) from a country outside the U.S.? In what circumstances would me (the buyer) have to pay for international fees and how much are they typically?

FYI the card is $13 with free shipping. I just don't want to get a 25 dollar customs fee after I buy the card, turning a $13 card into $38 card.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: buying from international sellers
Hmmm, don't think they charge a hidden international fee, at least to my knowledge. It should work the same as buying from a US seller. Usually they charge like $5 for shipping and the shipping is usually a lot longer than others.

I try to stay away from international sellers, especially ones from Phillipines and China. Seen many fake cards being sold from sellers from there. Not to say that all of them are not reputable sellers, but just for extra precautions I usually stay away from those sellers.

If you're not sure about the price, feel free to email the seller if there's any hidden fees. I've bought a couple of cards from Taiwan and China and the transactions were the same as US sellers. Hope this helped.
Mainly a Lakers Collector. Also collect RC's, Hall of Fame players, and current superstars. Big Kobe, and Jordan fan. Go Lake Show!

I live in Australia and I have sold many cards overseas (mainly US) and never had issues with buyers paying extra fees or tax.

I know a lot of US buyers don't like buying from overseas just due to the extra postage time. Being in Australia and buying most of my stuff from the US, 2-4 week shipping is the norm.

I hope you don't get discouraged from buying from overseas sellers. There are already a lot of US collectors that don't and are limiting the market to find what they want.
Collecting Clarence Weatherspoon

Guam, as far as the USPS is concerned, is considered a domestic US location.

I actually buy alot from a seller in Thailand, China, and the Philippines. Awesome sellers and the shipping is not bad. They offer combined shipping and its very reasonable. I have not had any problems with fake cards from these sellers. Also, I just came back from the Philippines and made a contact with a new seller there as well. He has an awesome Comic/Collectibles Store. As far as shipping from Guam, I have purchased from there before as well and had never had to pay more than 6.00 for S/H.

(02-16-2014, 01:54 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I actually buy alot from a seller in Thailand, China, and the Philippines. Awesome sellers and the shipping is not bad. They offer combined shipping and its very reasonable. I have not had any problems with fake cards from these sellers.
+1. As per my post in a recent thread on this, I have never had any problems with Asian sellers and their postage is far more reasonable tha US sellers'. Particularly sellers like lan.3 and card23hk on eBay (no intention for advertising, just as an example of experience) have been consistently above par.

I don't know where the United States stand on import of cards, as that is where I figure you could be charged a fee, if any.

I live in Denmark (Europe) and I can freely purchase within europe, without the risk of getting "caught" in customs.

However if I buy from, say, the US, if I buy for more than 16$, then taxes apply and it get's expensive quickly.

(02-15-2014, 07:28 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: Guam, as far as the USPS is concerned, is considered a domestic US location.
Thank you for the clarification. Is Guam not a US territory in the same way that Puerto Rico is a US Territory??
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

Lots of helpful information, everyone! Thanks for sharing your experiences and wisdom.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Guam IS a US Territory and normal USPS postage applies (i.e. NOT international). I buy a TON from overseas sellers and many time in bulk of 20+kg...and never had problems. I've had more problems with US sellers than Int'l. Just my experience...the Int'l crowd is much more friendly and open to communication than "locals." Single cards, boxes, 1/1's, bulk shipping. Many times, the Int'l cards get here QUICKER than USA shipments...go figure.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/