`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Styles - Which are you?

Trading Styles - Which are you?
I have been trading off and on since 2004 on Beckett and have come across so many different types of traders.

With me being a player collector I will trade down on cards for cards in my want list. Am I going to trade $100 card for 100 $1 cards, likely not, but would I trade $100 card for 3 $30 cards and a $10 card you bet. If I can find a trade that is a 1 for 1 that is even better.

If I have wants from someone list I will try to make a deal happen even if they do not have something I need. I usually look to upgrade my traders just since it is not PC and the cost of shipping etc.

So what kind of trader are you? Do you only trade 1 for 1, do you only trade if the person has a your wants? Do you only trade with people in your own country?

Just thought this might help as I have put some offers out lately which included needs for some traders and they have been rejected with no reason given which is perfectly ok as you can trade with who you want, would just save getting offers that will never even be considered.

Scott
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

RE: Trading Styles - Which are you?
Really great topic!

Ya know, I don't know what kind of trader I am. I think, like you, I will trade in the other collector's favour if it's for a card in my want list. Generally, I've found that it's easier to trade with win-win in mind. Not many people understand that. You're not really getting ahead when you get the better end of the deal and any positive feeling you get is fleeting. You have a lot of fun when you know both people know it's a fair trade and are walking away happy.

I'm mostly a BV to BV trader, I generally don't much care about trading up or down as long as the trade's not too much in one person's favor. I will generally try to trade like for like BV cards, but that's mainly because I know that lots of other people pay attention to this. I will admit that on occasion, if there's a really good card I'm willing to trade, sometimes I try to get a similar card for it, especially if I'm building a set of them.

And since I generally do BV to BV, I'll question a trader who proposes a trade that's really lopsided in my favor - once. I figure that many folks don't have the OPG and can't really tell, so if that's the case, I'm honest with them, I don't want to take advantage any more than I would want them to take advantage of me. But if they're aware and that's what they want to do, I'm OK with it.

On wants, I have a lot I'm working on, so I have a lot of wants. There are also a lot of cards that aren't necessarily on my want list, but that I don't have, and if somebody who wants to trade has nothing on my want list, I'll generally try to work a deal for cards I don't have (which sometimes starts me working on an other set of something). And an observation/gripe, I use both the Trade For column and the Wants column, putting the same number in both, which is a pain - if you only use Trade For, then I can't see any wants when I look at your Org, and if you only use Wants, none of your cards show as wanted in the trade page. Seems silly to me that they split this up this way.

The one thing that I generally try to stay away from are tiny trades - somebody wants to trade for one card with BV of .25 or so - when that happens, I'll try to convince the other trader to go bigger and can usually get a deal done. Want to make it worth the postage, which I know some people don't agree with, if you really need a card, you really need it....
Building sets, and collecting Alex Ovechkin, Calle Johansson,
Craig Laughlin and Braden Holtby

I'm generally a BV to BV trader. I'm willing to trade down, if its going to help someones PC, or its for my PC, but i wont trade down for bait. PC is different to set wants though, if I'm trading for set wants, i like it to be even, I'm not going to trade down RPA's for a heap of Sidney Crosby Hockey heroes inserts that i can buy for a buck on evilbay. I just don't see why i should trade a $100 card for 3 $20 cards, a $15 card and a heap of base, just because someone wants to, or im doing you a serious favour.

Patches for patches, autos for autos. Unless its going to help one of us in the trade and they ask me to help their PC or set wants, usually if its not even, or the other person is just lowballing to get my decent stuff, ill reject it and send a message why.

Also just because somethings marked as a want, doesn't mean id trade my left nut for it lol. Its almost like you need a "scale of want" from 1 to 10 - for me Joe Thornton #1's being 10, and base and insert wants being a 1 or 2. My org is used for me to keep track of my collections mainly, and to catalogue my set needs, the trade tool is a useful bonus that ties in with that.

Hope i haven't come across too brash, or blunt, because i still want to, and love to trade. Just getting a lot of crap offers lately, (like everyone on the boards gets from time to time) but ive also made some really good trades recently too.

Happy collecting and trading everyone! Smile

Steve.
(02-15-2014, 02:58 PM)mswatson Wrote: And since I generally do BV to BV, I'll question a trader who proposes a trade that's really lopsided in my favor - once. I figure that many folks don't have the OPG and can't really tell, so if that's the case, I'm honest with them, I don't want to take advantage any more than I would want them to take advantage of me. But if they're aware and that's what they want to do, I'm OK with it.

And This. 100 thumbs up for you. Smile

[Image: nemesisbanner2.gif]

Sig by tha_penguin

After Joe Thornton serial #1's

Joe Thornton PC: (515) 11.36% Joe Thornton #'d 01/xx: (37) 1.34%
Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%
Couture (37) Demers (26) Sateri (23)

AFTER: TOMAS HERTL, HARRI SATERI

Each trade is different. I find it helpful when someone trades a $50 for five $10 pieces, and I will gladly do the same for others. When someone does not have too many trades, I love throwing in some extras to help them get started, just like so many people did for me in the beginning. As long as people realize this is all for fun, we're not out here to make a living, and they avoid giving attitudes, I'll trade anything with anyone. Don't take this too seriously, folks, and it can be a lot of fun.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I'll trade with anyone, if the deal looks good. Firstly though, I look to get PC items obviously. As for BV, I find it important, but only as a guideline. I'll trade a $50 card for 3 or 4 lower value cards, so long as both sides are happy. And, as Mark pointed out, since I don't use an OPG, I will generally leave it to my partner to determine if we're close BV wise...I'm fine with being within a $5- $7 range as long as you are!
I guess perhaps the only people I won't really trade with are collectors in Russia/Czech Republic, but only because of the shipping horror stories I've heard from several other members. I've done trades to Australia, Japan, Scandinavia, and all over North America, so it doesn't matter to me hugely. I also tend to trade with the same small group of collectors repeatedly because of past trades!
(02-15-2014, 07:17 PM)nemesis77777 Wrote: I'm generally a BV to BV trader. I'm willing to trade down, if its going to help someones PC, or its for my PC, but i wont trade down for bait. PC is different to set wants though, if I'm trading for set wants, i like it to be even, I'm not going to trade down RPA's for a heap of Sidney Crosby Hockey heroes inserts that i can buy for a buck on evilbay. I just don't see why i should trade a $100 card for 3 $20 cards, a $15 card and a heap of base, just because someone wants to, or im doing you a serious favour.

Patches for patches, autos for autos. Unless its going to help one of us in the trade and they ask me to help their PC or set wants, usually if its not even, or the other person is just lowballing to get my decent stuff, ill reject it and send a message why.

Also just because somethings marked as a want, doesn't mean id trade my left nut for it lol. Its almost like you need a "scale of want" from 1 to 10 - for me Joe Thornton #1's being 10, and base and insert wants being a 1 or 2. My org is used for me to keep track of my collections mainly, and to catalogue my set needs, the trade tool is a useful bonus that ties in with that.

Hope i haven't come across too brash, or blunt, because i still want to, and love to trade. Just getting a lot of crap offers lately, (like everyone on the boards gets from time to time) but ive also made some really good trades recently too.

Happy collecting and trading everyone! Smile

Steve.

And This. 100 thumbs up for you. Smile
Steve: I find that when you and I trade, it's generally in my favour, whether it's because of shipping costs, or because you still feel a need to "sweeten" our deals because of that sick Marleau patch! Did you ever post a pic of that bad boy?
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

I am a scan trader. If I get an offer for a trade I will look at the scan and decide if it is a fair trade based on that. I don't care what some book says the value is. What really matters to me is how much value it is to me for my collection. Case in Point.... I needed a 1953-54 #91 Parkhurst no bio for my collection. I was offered this card based on a book value of $35. It was really in the vg-ex range and had a BV of about $20. I completed the deal for this item based on my desire to have it and traded a card with the same book value but with very few condition issues than the card I received.The card I traded was at least ex-nm but more than likely of a higher value if graded. So book value was the same but in fact I trade away a much more desirable card from an investment point of view. It isn't always about the money sometimes it is all about getting what you want. I never deal in graded cards because I don't need the expense or opinion of some employee that has no more interest in getting the grade right than getting a paycheck. Been doing this for decades and so far so good. Always looking for pre 60's cards and always looking for Beehive or Crown brand vintage Items

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am a Wants trader, first and foremost. I will so by BV to some point, but I look to help the other trader out, or to help out my PCs. When I am trading for Wants I will trade down quite a bit, like Scott said, and I will expect to have someone trade up when I am able to offer their Wants for some trade bait. I know that a lot of other sites check sale value on eBay only, but we all know where that can lead. Haha! Great topic, Scott!

Randi

Each trade is its own to me. generally being close in BV is a good thing. Though not the top of my list. i go through stages where i am trading for my Player collections or my set needs. Generally i'm more willing to "trade down" or in favor for a nice Oilers card. If i know the card i'm trading away is going to live a happy life in the traders PC i am more willing to move it for a bunch of cards, or to trade in their favor. one thing i do find my self questioning and holding back on is trading lower SN cards away for "more common cards" even if BV is close or the same. Of course their are certain members on these boards that i would and have sent off a card for "future considerations". Sometimes i pull or accuire a card that i know belongs in one of your PC. Ill make sure to get it there
Primary PC: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Connor Mcdavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Collecting All Oilers GU/Auto/SN cards

also building sets, needs found here http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1488853.html

all depends on what I need

but if pc i take smaller items if it is trade bait i try to do 1 for 1...
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)