`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scammed?
02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: Scammed?
(02-14-2014 10:26 AM)branesergen Wrote:  There are many different options in the algorithm that is grading. Is it a set that has known edge issues ala the Hockey set discussed in another thread? If so then they are more leanient on edges hence the 9 grade. Knowing your sets and condition sensitivity along with knowing Becketts grading standards will help you make a better informed decision.

+1 This.

[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2014, 08:47 AM
the OP sent me a message with the pics instead of sending them here. ill post later. hint: i think we are dealing with Magic cards

onedollardutch@blogspot.com
02-15-2014, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2014 11:29 AM by Hopeseeker.)
(02-15-2014 08:47 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote:  the OP sent me a message with the pics instead of sending them here. ill post later. hint: i think we are dealing with Magic cards

I sent them to other people too, but not here, maybe because this was my willing. I would still like you to please respect this decision, even if you don't wish to answer me or to help.
02-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I told OP the Black borders probably got some leniency with the chipping. Still don't think it would have been below a 9 on any other card.

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC
02-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Is there a place to look to understand if BGS will be more lenient towards a specific subgrade, given the sport and the set?

Anyway I am happy that you think the edge I have shown you is not so terribly bad and I feel slightly better, maybe I should just feel lucky they didn't give it a 8 or a 8,5, and keep is as it is and not sell it. After all this is the best 9,5 in the world (there is a 10 though), so it would be probably impossible to replace.

It's just this feeling that confuses me a little... I mean: someone said these edges are a 9. So should I trust him/her and be happy with this judgement? I mean, I have cards with better edges that got a 8,5.

The point of this topic is to hear from you how you would feel in this situation, how a collector should feel.

You receive a card and you think they have been way too lenient.
Would you feel extremely lucky, like oh my God look at this piece of *****, and they gave it a 9,5 omg I can't believe it I'm so happy.
Or would you feel scammed and would you always feel bad because you have an important card of your collection that you think deserves a 8-8,5, but for some miracle it got a 9,5, and that just doesn't seem possible.

The centering of my card got a 10 and as far as I can tell, yeah it's possible.
It got 10 for surface too. If they say it is 10, ok sure.
Corners: 9,5... well they have been lenient. I have cards with virtually perfect corners that got a 9.
Edges: this is the real issue: see how much chipping there is. This is not the unobstrusive chipping BGS talks about in their grading parameters. This definitely deserves a 8 or 8,5 for me, hence they have been very lenient or they made a mistake. and I don't know how I should feel about this.
02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
It's a magic card. The fact you are grading a game card in the first place, and are flummoxed by the grading ....and, dont want to share scans publicly....all seems kind of silly

onedollardutch@blogspot.com
02-15-2014, 05:44 PM
(02-15-2014 04:24 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote:  It's a magic card. The fact you are grading a game card in the first place, and are flummoxed by the grading ....and, dont want to share scans publicly....all seems kind of silly

It may be silly for you, maybe it's important for me. And this thing is worth something.
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM
I guessed Magic card when I saw the scan also.

Is it from the Alpha set?

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas
[Image: targeted_zpsfeaf74b4.png]