`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever wonder what this Griffey would be worth?

Ever wonder what this Griffey would be worth?
With all the prospect cards that come out these days do you ever think about what a 1989 Bowman Chrome Prospects Griffey auto might be worth today if it was ever made? It just doesn't seem fair that his 89 UD rookie is worth so little in book value comparatively speaking. You have guys I've never heard of with BV's of over $100 and they obviously aren't no where near his talent. Damn all those card companies for coming out with 10 billion prints of every card back then.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

RE: Ever wonder what this Griffey would be worth?
(02-17-2014, 03:32 PM)benner73 Wrote: With all the prospect cards that come out these days do you ever think about what a 1989 Bowman Chrome Prospects Griffey auto might be worth today if it was ever made? It just doesn't seem fair that his 89 UD rookie is worth so little in book value comparatively speaking. You have guys I've never heard of with BV's of over $100 and they obviously aren't no where near his talent. Damn all those card companies for coming out with 10 billion prints of every card back then.
I understand your point, but keep in mind that the iconic '89 UD Griffey was a base card (that was produced in the MILLIONS). So, when you think of it like that, there aren't many base prospect cards today worth more than 20 bucks.

But, yeah, it would be interesting if Griffey had a serial numbered, or certified auto rookie card available. I'm sure it would've commanded a huge price--then and now.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

You can kind of compare it to Pujols' Bowman Chrome auto I think. Although the 2 aren't very close in playing stature (Griffey has him beat by quite a bit AT THIS POINT), it's a card you use for comparison purposes.

You can see Pujols' autograph at what it's worth and compare Griffey's career to Pujols' career and come up with a close comparison.

(02-17-2014, 04:17 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: You can kind of compare it to Pujols' Bowman Chrome auto I think. Although the 2 aren't very close in playing stature (Griffey has him beat by quite a bit AT THIS POINT), it's a card you use for comparison purposes.

You can see Pujols' autograph at what it's worth and compare Griffey's career to Pujols' career and come up with a close comparison.
I think that's a good comparison--in terms of what a premium Griffey auto would be worth today if such card had been produced.

On a side note though, I'm not sure that I'd agree that Griffey has Pujols beat by "quite a bit" at this point. I compared their stats and, while Griffey has better compiled stats (HR, RBI, etc), he only had 1 very good year (and 1 good year) after age 31. Also, Pujols has already amassed more "wins above replacement" than Griffey at this point, despite playing 7 fewer seasons. Both are/were great players, but I think Pujols will go down in history as an all-time great. In 20 years, people will look back at Griffey and think how much greater he would've been had the second half of his career not have been marred by injury.

Fun fact that I came across today: Griffey made $68,000 his rookie season.
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

(02-17-2014, 04:37 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I think that's a good comparison--in terms of what a premium Griffey auto would be worth today if such card had been produced.

On a side note though, I'm not sure that I'd agree that Griffey has Pujols beat by "quite a bit" at this point. I compared their stats and, while Griffey has better compiled stats (HR, RBI, etc), he only had 1 very good year (and 1 good year) after age 31. Also, Pujols has already amassed more "wins above replacement" than Griffey at this point, despite playing 7 fewer seasons. Both are/were great players, but I think Pujols will go down in history as an all-time great. In 20 years, people will look back at Griffey and think how much greater he would've been had the second half of his career not have been marred by injury.

Pretty good money for an 18-year-old in 1989 ... I think I knocked down $3.75 an hour at Burger King when I worked there in high school, LOL

(02-17-2014, 09:10 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Pretty good money for an 18-year-old in 1989 ... I think I knocked down $3.75 an hour at Burger King when I worked there in high school, LOL
Haha. But, yeah, even with inflation, that would be like a MLB rookie making $110k today (which is pretty nice for us regular guys, but not a lot compared to what rookies make these days). By way of comparison, Trout made about 4X more than Griffey (when adjusted for inflation).

(02-17-2014, 09:30 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Haha. But, yeah, even with inflation, that would be like a MLB rookie making $110k today (which is pretty nice for us regular guys, but not a lot compared to what rookies make these days). By way of comparison, Trout made about 4X more than Griffey (when adjusted for inflation).
Then again, Trout was a WAY better rookie than Griff.

Then again, they sign the contract before they play, so maybe that didn't matter.

(02-17-2014, 09:30 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Haha. But, yeah, even with inflation, that would be like a MLB rookie making $110k today (which is pretty nice for us regular guys, but not a lot compared to what rookies make these days). By way of comparison, Trout made about 4X more than Griffey (when adjusted for inflation).
Who cares what they made!
THEY GOT TO PLAY BASEBALL ..... FOR A LIVING! They got paid to play ball!
I would have played for free.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-17-2014, 04:37 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I think that's a good comparison--in terms of what a premium Griffey auto would be worth today if such card had been produced.

Well stated.
MY PC IS CARDS TOP OF THE LINE CORNERS & EDGES FIRST. SECONDLY CENTERING-SURFACE FOLLOW. EVEN FOR PSA'S 7-8 ARE VIRTUALLY PERFECT CORNERS & EDGES UNDER 40X-100X MAGNIFICATION. MY MOTTO "COLLECT THE CARD, NOT THE SLAB."
http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/RHINOCOCKSAURUS/library/?sort=6&page=1