`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are Jordan cards losing value?

RE: Are Jordan cards losing value?
Fret not. Jordan cards will bounce back eventually. If you are an MJ collector, now is likely very close to the low end of the "buy low/sell high" formula, except you don't need to sell on the other end.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I am not very familiar with the Jordan market, but I was curious, I know like me, a lot of people collected when they were younger, during the 90's, and then got out of the hobby. Only to return years down the road with the budget of an adult and buy up a lot of stuff they couldn't afford as a kid? I didn't collect Jordan, I collected Shaq, and when I came back late 2010 (About 10 years after quitting the hobby) I bought a bunch of cool Shaqs I couldn't afford back then. My question is, could that have had anything to do with the spike in Jordan prices? And if it did play a part, then would the drop in prices correlate with that wave of collectors having already purchased what they wanted? I don't see younger people getting into collecting like a lot of us did in the 90s. Will there be another influx of Jordan collectors to boost the market to the prices we were seeing?
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

(02-11-2014, 11:15 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: I am not very familiar with the Jordan market, but I was curious, I know like me, a lot of people collected when they were younger, during the 90's, and then got out of the hobby. Only to return years down the road with the budget of an adult and buy up a lot of stuff you couldn't afford as a kid? I didn't collect Jordan, I collected Shaq, and when I came back late 2010 (About 10 years after quitting the hobby) I bought a bunch of cool Shaqs I couldn't afford back then. My question is, could that have had anything to do with the spike in Jordan prices? And if it did play a part, then would the drop in prices correlate with that wave of collectors having already purchased what they wanted? I don't see younger people getting into collecting like a lot of us did in the 90s. Will there be another influx of Jordan collectors to boost the market to the prices we were seeing?
I definitely think that had a lot to do with the spike in Jordan card values. The other big factor is that Jordan is one of the biggest international sports celebrities, so as disposable income grew for other markets so did their thirst for things related to Jordan.
I definitely think it is foolish for people to think that the Jordan market will come back to what it's peak was. I definitely agree that the younger market isn't as interested in cards, and those that are interested are going to be interested in players currently playing (i.e. Kobe, Lebron, Durant, etc.). Thus if you really want to invest in cards you will most likely be better off investing in nicer cards of current stars, as in another 10 years they will have a bigger likelihood of increasing in value (as the current generation starts getting disposable income that allows them to afford the cards they couldn't afford as kids).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(02-10-2014, 01:01 PM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: There are plenty of $10-$50-$100 BV cards that people will pay hundreds of dollars for in BGS 9.5 because of the pop on them are super low...

I can PM you a list of sub $200 BV cards that if you could find them and get them graded 9.5 you would make serious money on.

If you have never sent cards in for grading, well that is half the battle, knowing what should grade high and what wont is an art in itself...
I always think about getting some of his cards. But I'm on a really low budget. And knowing very little about what the hobby was about in those days I never know what to get or even search for between $10-$50. Are there really any good options in those ranges?