`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Topps- which card is rarer?

2014 Topps- which card is rarer?
Hey everyone, new to the forum, just getting back to collecting. Anyway I just opened 2 topps 2014 jumbo boxes. I pulled an Andrew Mccutchen SSP sparkle variation. From what I've read you only get one sparkle card per every 2 cases. I also pulled a Mariano Rivera black parallel (#/63). I was wondering which of these cards are the tougher find. Did they really only make 63 of these black parallels? Any opinion would be appreciated, thanks

RE: 2014 Topps- which card is rarer?
Probably around the same. Congrats on your awesome hits! I would think the Mariano will fetch more if your selling.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Although not numbered word is the Sparkle Sp's have a print run around 75-100 of each card.

So to answer the question Rivera is slightly more rare but the sparkle is going to bring more money just because there are more people chasing them Simple supply and demand.

(02-01-2014, 08:45 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: So to answer the question Rivera is slightly more rare but the sparkle is going to bring more money just because there are more people chasing them Simple supply and demand.
Not starting anything, but I disagree. Those sparkle cards really crashed in 2011 and other than Albert & Arod.....you could get them pretty cheap. As this is Mo's last "playing" year cards. I see them selling though out the year at very good prices. (ah, but what do I know...LOL)

I just don't see colloector's 5 or 10 yrs from now really caring about the final playing year cards of Rivera. The hobby has a here and now mentality this isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. It's abou how fast can i sell and how much can I get.

The hobby is set up now where nothing will ever have long term (ex. 25-50 yrs. from now) max value again. Back in the day a card would climb in value as it got older and now it's the exact opposite.

just to further back up my thinking these are the most current sold prices on ebay

Rivera Black /63 $29.99 on 1/30/14

McCutchen Sparkle SP $100 best offer 1/30/14

With an estimated print run of 75-100 you also have to factor in how many of the sparkle cards were overlooked by unaware collectors/kids etc... Has to be a good chunk of people who don't even know what they have...

Personally, from a coolness factor, I'd much rather have the rivera... That would be a sharp looking card. I don't get the whole paying top $ because of an added "sparkle" to the same exact base card thing. To each their own I guess.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(02-01-2014, 10:29 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I just don't see colloector's 5 or 10 yrs from now really caring about the final playing year cards of Rivera. The hobby has a here and now mentality this isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. It's abou how fast can i sell and how much can I get.

The hobby is set up now where nothing will ever have long term (ex. 25-50 yrs. from now) max value again. Back in the day a card would climb in value as it got older and now it's the exact opposite.

just to further back up my thinking these are the most current sold prices on ebay

Rivera Black /63 $29.99 on 1/30/14

McCutchen Sparkle SP $100 best offer 1/30/14
Great point....my thinking was about the near term and not so much right after the product is out (ALWAYS higher right after release) nor down the road. Like I said, what do I know....lol.

Yeah the sparkle should bring much more money. I also got the Mariano /63 and sold it for $30 about 10 minutes after pulling it

(02-01-2014, 11:39 PM)petillo64 Wrote: With an estimated print run of 75-100 you also have to factor in how many of the sparkle cards were overlooked by unaware collectors/kids etc... Has to be a good chunk of people who don't even know what they have...

Personally, from a coolness factor, I'd much rather have the rivera... That would be a sharp looking card. I don't get the whole paying top $ because of an added "sparkle" to the same exact base card thing. To each their own I guess.
I particularly agree with your first point. I found those cards were fairly hard to come by (in 2011).

In any event, since I don't collect either, I'd probably throw them both on the Bay and see what the market says.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*