`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Sometimes, I am blown away by people's generosity

OT: Sometimes, I am blown away by people's generosity
You would think, after 5 years of running a charity, which completely relies on the kindness and generosity of friends and strangers, that things like this would get old. it really doesnt

My annual charity event in next friday, and we are auctioning off 25 bachelors and bachelorettes, plus doing a number of live auctions and raffles. we expect to make about 15-20k this year, which will put us just shy of 90k in the past 5 years

so, i went to "Christmas at Fenway", with the idea that i could grab a 4 game ticket package, take two of those tickets for a game and give it to my charity. But the red sox also have a lot of autographed stuff and game used stuff. this year, the prices werent great, probably the result of the world series victory.

I ended up going through a bin of artwork and pictures that had been hanging at fenway over the years. that's when i saw this huge framed picture - over 3 feet wide) of ortiz celebrating a home run at home plate with his teammates back in 2004. it had been hanging at fenway for 8 years, and it showed - the frame was a little beat up, the glass had some minor scratches, the matting looked a little worse for wear. but for 50 dollars...shoot, a steal, especially compared to other stuff (a jacoby ellsbury signed ball was 100 dollars. the dude that just signed with the yankees. the box of signed balls was completely untouched)

The item by itself wasnt big enough to be a live auction though - i wanted Papi to sign it. Finagling a few connections ive made over the years, i was able to get an Ortiz signed ball. i wanted to cut the sweet spot out, lay it flat, and insert it into the matting

so i went down to the local frame shop, told them what i was looking for. they had a couple good idea, (on where to place it in the frame), i paid, and they said it would be ready in two days (i should note: anything i pay for this stuff is out of pocket, doesnt get deducted from what my charity raises).

I go back two days later to pick our item up. They had done a fantastic job...the autograph literally just popped out of the matting. But I noticed: they had really cleaned the glass on the front, and the frame looked as if it had been polished. As i tried to process the information in my head, their framer Leslie tells me they had replaced the frame, glass and matting for free. it looked incredible

I was just floored.

Sometimes, people dont suck.

RE: OT: Sometimes, I am blown away by people's generosity
That signed ball looks really cool. Great idea.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Not a fan of the team mentioned or the above mentioned player but great DEED by the frame shop.

Very nice.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-28-2014, 11:10 AM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: Not a fan of the team mentioned or the above mentioned player but great DEED by the frame shop.
Im in Boston: if i tried to auction of dwrek jeter stuff, i might get lynched :p

That is so cool all the way around, what the shop did, as well as your efforts over the past five years. Best wishes in your upcoming event.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Too bad he did PED's and won't get in the hall, because this would fetch you some serious coin for your charity. Great idea with the ball by the way.
Looking for Mike Trout, Aaron Judge and Derek Jeter...

(01-28-2014, 11:54 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: Im in Boston: if i tried to auction of dwrek jeter stuff, i might get lynched :p
Totally understand... it is a nice piece that will help with the cause and that is all that matters

Awesome job all around! Hope the frame shop's good deed translates into a huge windfall for your charity.

Oh, and I disagree with you about Jeter. I don't think you'd be lynched ... Maybe run out of town on a rail, or tarred and feathered, but lynched? Nah! You'd need to auction off a Bucky 'f-ing' Dent signed/unsigned picture in order to get lynched Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.