`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: How do you collect prospect heavy sets?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Go for the complete set
53.33%
8 53.33%
Pick one or two prospects to chase
26.67%
4 26.67%
Sell them while they are hot
6.67%
1 6.67%
I don't collect products like this
13.33%
2 13.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for Collecting 2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball?

Tips for Collecting 2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball?
Hello...

I just pre-order a couple of boxes of 2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball
(see product configuration below if you are interested)
http://forloveofhomeplate.com/2014-bowma...4-release/

What I was curious about was how everyone here collected Prospect heavy products? Do you try to complete the set (Assuming Beckett is a good place for me to trade my duplicates or get singles I need).
Do you focus on individual prospects you believe will break-out?

Or do you just keep a few cards for your PC and flip the rest out to feed our addictions to busting packs?

2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball photo AutoRelic_zps265ef7c3.jpg
[Image: Zg60sg4.png]

RE: Tips for Collecting 2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball?
The past two years I put together a base set of Platinum (really not much else to do with all that base!), and then if there are some PC players/prospects I'll go after the rainbow or autos for those guys.

I have really gotten lazy and just wait a couple months and buy a complete set off ebay. The chances of pulling anything good to flip out of a box just aren't worth the money you spend. You can usually get a complete set in the $20-$30 dlv. range saving you a minimum of $30 as most boxes go for around $60 at the cheapest.

My tip would be to not touch the product whatsoever as you will be taking a significant profit loss.

I usually buy around 4 boxes, but that's only because I am at the National Sports Collectors Convention and Topps always has a sweet redemption deal for them.

I guess the answer depends mostly with you .... Do you like to put sets together?
I try, and after about 2 weeks of collation, the wind goes out of my sails and usually start to focus on the next new product. But that's just me. People here always have plenty of dupes to trade. So putting the set together is a very attainable goal. I think last year with a little help from the Beckett community I put together just the prospect base cards (100) and didn't bother with the others.
Most of the prospect autos can be picked up on eBay cheap, so buying a box for the autos .... You have to be very lucky to get something hot. If you do happen to get a 1/1 or a 1/5 card from the box, then picking up a rainbow of that player is just that much easier Smile
Good luck and hope you get something great.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I usually do the base, the platinum prospects and the purple (retail) platinum prospects refractor sets. If there happen to be other insert sets I slowly work on them. The rest I hang onto for trade bait. They make good trade filler for player/team collectors and set builders. Unfortunately, platinum doesn't hold its value very well so unless you're first to sell or get really lucky you'll likely be buying for PL and/or trading.
Kepler

I would say "go for the set" because that's for me the base of card collecting.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85

(01-21-2014, 01:40 AM)home plate 1989 Wrote: Hello...

I just pre-order a couple of boxes of 2014 Bowman Platinum Baseball
You pre order a product know that comes out in 7 months?

I have built the last two years compile sets base, auto rc's and auto/ relic rc's.. most are inexpensive so its not hard to build..