`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Patch vs. Relic

Patch vs. Relic
Hey all. Hoping to get some info on the difference in memorabilia cards. I see cards listed as jersey, swatch, relic and patch. On the back, some say "game used" which is self explanatory, but others say "event worn" which I am guessing means from the scouting combine or some other similar event. And others are now saying "the relic contained in this card is not from any specific game, event or season". Does that mean they bought a $10 jersey at wal-mart and cut it up to put in their cards? LOL. So do all "relics" fall into this category? Are all "patches" normally game-used? Just trying to get myself up to speed before I fall any further behind. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Collecting Steelers, Pirates and Penguins

RE: Patch vs. Relic
My opinion, and everyone's WILL differ...

Jersey - single color, basic mesh from a jersey
Swatch - same as jersey
relic - same as jersey (in football terms), but could be something like helmet piece, shoes, etc.
patch - multi-color (shows the defining characteristics for a patch)...could be single color, but material will have a different look than single color jersey cards.

game used - just what it means, but doesn't necessarily mean player actually played in a game. At times I think of this term as "game issued".
Event Worn - mainly from rookie premiere stuff. The non-specific game, event, or season to me means that it was possibly worn at a signing session.

Patches, no not always truly game used (i.e. how does a rookie have a game used jersey when he hasn't even played in a game).

Most rookie stuff is event worn. From what I hear, card companies have signing events for rookies usually at like the rookie photo shoot, etc. At these events they literally have stacks of jerseys and the player just slips on the jersey and then takes it off making it player/event worn....which is pretty lame in my opinion.

usafshelland has it all correct though. What annoys the crap out of me are collectors that call any and all jersey cards patches. A patch is exactly what it is. It's the thick stitched on number, logo, nameplate, etc. on a jersey...not the basic material itself. Panini usually just uses the term Prime, which pretty much means anything other than the basic jersey or something multi-colored.

And if you really want "Game Used" stuff Playoff (early to mid 2000s) used to either have a picture of the player's game worn jersey/game balls on the back of the card and/or the date from the game they were taken from.
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the feedback. I really appreciate it, and honestly felt like I had a much better understanding........ right up until I busted a box of 2013 bowman sterling this morning. LOL I got 4 very nice multi-colored memorabilia cards and 3 of the 4 were marked as relic while 1 was marked as a patch, go figure. I guess the one thing that held true was that the one patch card I got was indeed multi-colored. Sorry to say, the break was pretty much a bust. No Steelers except for a Le'veon Bell base. Nice looking cards for sure, but nothing rang the bell. Will post some scans later today. Thanks again for all of your input!!
Collecting Steelers, Pirates and Penguins

(01-17-2014, 09:04 PM)bigtrip18 Wrote: And if you really want "Game Used" stuff Playoff (early to mid 2000s) used to either have a picture of the player's game worn jersey/game balls on the back of the card and/or the date from the game they were taken from.
Gosh I miss this. Also in...if I recall correctly because I don't have it right in front of me...04 fleer...authentix? Their baseball cards with relics featured a pull out coa that told the game, any important patches (inaugural season), etc.

They need to bring stuff like that! I remember when I was a kid (showing my age here) and pulling a jersey card was a big deal and would definitely help recoup the cost of your box. Now you have to pray for a 1/1 RC or an auto just to get close!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Also - I'm pretty certain that UD has not been using ANY game worn jersey/patches in their recent releases. I think all were worn while signing cards or something.

So, those sick patches everyone is pulling in Ultimate? All event worn.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

Game used Patch.....no brainer...and they say it right on the back...some dirt doesn't hurt either
Smile
these are the only sets i will even try...game used..period[Image: 014-4.jpg]
[Image: 015-4.jpg]
[Image: EF0BCFC1-orig.jpg]

sez right on there..and we KNOW he didnt ride the pine..he was a player...BUT if you have a patch of some loser who doesnt play..it may say GU..we all know it aint...Veterans who i collect..every patch i have was in a game..
[Image: DC16CE6F-orig.jpg]

swatch,jersey,relic..not patch...rookies DO NOT have GU anything....garbage "event worn" worthless stuff...
[Image: 012.jpg]
dont get sucked into the rookie event worn hole...
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95