`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Scout Prospects?

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects?
Yeah thats what I liked about him and your other boy Nunez, they are young and have raw power unlike anyone else I've read about. I have about 27 AL prospects that I am looking at right now with 7 of them being people I'm considering chasing after. I'll be looking at NL prospects during my night shift tomorrow.
[Image: m5GDmvD.png]

Want List
- 2006 Craig Biggio SP Authentic By the Letter "B" "O"
- 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones

I use the " Baseball America website"... amongst others...

remember when looking at stats, that some leagues in the minors are known for being pitcher's leagues, some as hitters leagues. this can inflate a prospects numbers to something higher than should be expected

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to create a thread where we can talk about what prospects have potential to be tomorrows superstar.

Want List

I think as long as you're not collecting Albert Almora you're doing ok :p but seriously it's really all a preference. you could go with your favorite team's best prospect, one of the most projectable prospects in the minors (Buxton Correa Bradley etc) or go against the trend and take a swing on a player that has great potential but isn't getting the hype. Living within 20 miles of Wrigley as well as his minor league team (Class A Kane County), I've became a big fan of Almora even though I'm a die hard Red Sox fan.
[Image: Mley9cQ.png]

(01-15-2014, 02:23 PM)redsox3 Wrote: I think as long as you're not collecting Albert Almora you're doing ok :p but seriously it's really all a preference. you could go with your favorite team's best prospect, one of the most projectable prospects in the minors (Buxton Correa Bradley etc) or go against the trend and take a swing on a player that has great potential but isn't getting the hype. Living within 20 miles of Wrigley as well as his minor league team (Class A Kane County), I've became a big fan of Almora even though I'm a die hard Red Sox fan.
And thats what I'm doing, I'm looking at prospects that aren't geting any hype but have solid numbers and going after their lots. How awesome would it be to pick off low numbered autos of a prospect that turns out to be the next Trout or Myers. I know those players are few and far between but right now trying to find the next big thing is more enticing then buying boxes and testing my luck that way.

Want List

(01-15-2014, 02:23 PM)redsox3 Wrote: I think as long as you're not collecting Albert Almora you're doing ok :p
Don't forget to stay away from Addison Russell and Joc Pederson as well. Those guys are bums.

(01-15-2014, 02:47 PM)Odyssey Wrote: And thats what I'm doing, I'm looking at prospects that aren't geting any hype but have solid numbers and going after their lots. How awesome would it be to pick off low numbered autos of a prospect that turns out to be the next Trout or Myers. I know those players are few and far between but right now trying to find the next big thing is more enticing then buying boxes and testing my luck that way.

If you can pick the next trout or myers that has cheap auto's you might have a future in scouting....guys like that just dont grow on trees.

Usually the ones that make a big hobby splash are the guys with hype from day one.

what i do is collect guys that interest me, usually guys from the rangers farm or who play on their minor league team thats near me

(01-15-2014, 04:12 PM)rentzington Wrote: If you can pick the next trout or myers that has cheap auto's you might have a future in scouting....guys like that just dont grow on trees.

Usually the ones that make a big hobby splash are the guys with hype from day one.

what i do is collect guys that interest me, usually guys from the rangers farm or who play on their minor league team thats near me
Prospecting is always a gamble. Remember Matt Bush, he was all the hype once upon a time as well.

There are a few guys in the Rangers organization whose numbers caught my eye so maybe you can tell me your thoughts since thats your team.

Jorge Alfaro, Joey Gallo, and Nick Williams all 3 had some pretty good stats. Gallo and Alfaro need to get their batting average up some but their HR and RBI numbers looked really good considering they are only 20 and still have time to develop.

Want List

(01-15-2014, 04:30 PM)Odyssey Wrote: Prospecting is always a gamble. Remember Matt Bush, he was all the hype once upon a time as well.

There are a few guys in the Rangers organization whose numbers caught my eye so maybe you can tell me your thoughts since thats your team.

Jorge Alfaro, Joey Gallo, and Nick Williams all 3 had some pretty good stats. Gallo and Alfaro need to get their batting average up some but their HR and RBI numbers looked really good considering they are only 20 and still have time to develop.
they are terrible you dont want anything to do with collecting them!

When looking at batting avg you have to take into account the league and age, i've been told by scouts that these kids under 20 in A ball....avg doesnt matter "if they can hit they're going to hit" its upper levels that they start being selective and learning better pitch recognition.