`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Waiting worth the Wait ?????

RE: Is Waiting worth the Wait ?????
I will not preorder anymore. I have had 3 orders with Dave and Adams, and lost because of price drop weeks after release. If they want to play that way and not hold their selves accountable for at least a 30 -60 day price guarantee then I will no longer buy presales. If a case goes up, then its a fluke and I win. Stores lose out as they do get some monies up front which helps with their cost. I se it along the lines that if I purchase something else from them or anyone and the price drops in a week, then I should be given a store credit. Its all about customer loyalty anymore. 2013 Sterling was/is my last. I just wanted that set so bad.
Topps is quickly losing it and so are the people I purchase from. I spend a good bit on cases but no more on presales. The poster about pulling “HIT” cards upon first release is also correct. Its basic marketing strategy. Get people talking about your product. It’s free advertisement. On top of that they kill you with the release date, really, 2 days, a week later-what happened, the guy that turns the lights on go on vacation and no one else can do his job? They have ABSOLUTLY NO ACCUTABILITY period.
As for redemptions, I have very, and I mean very little faith in Topps anymore. I’m sick of worthless replacements from them. Especially a year after submission. If I was supposed to get a auto rookie parallel then darn it give me one, not something totally different. I have more important things to do then BEG Topps to do what they are supposed to do. I do not let redemption deter me from purchasing a product with the exception of the likes of Bowman and Pujols. The price went to $300.00 a box and it was a redemption, those I stay away from.
So I’m with many others, wait until the hype dies down, see if the redemptions that are included are expired and/or are they really worth anything other than a common. That’s how I intend to finish my Sterling auto set.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

Except for something I have waited for very long (as a Mars attacks fan, the new mars attacks invasion box for example), I usually wait some times to buy boxes.
I normally even buy 2-3 yrs old boxes to get some decent prices with still good hits.

My last purchase was a 1997 collector's choice which I got for nothing and which reminds me a lot of my youth.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85

(01-14-2014, 09:06 AM)happy14027 Wrote: I will not preorder anymore. I have had 3 orders with Dave and Adams, and lost because of price drop weeks after release. If they want to play that way and not hold their selves accountable for at least a 30 -60 day price guarantee then I will no longer buy presales.
They aren't the only game in town...choose someone with a price guarantee. or just wait it out

I also like getting the products when first released if there are in-store or wrapper redemption programs associated with them.....I include these freebies as part of my cost. So, if I get 5 free cards at a guesstimate sales value of $2 each...I reduce my purchase cost by $10.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

As someone returning to collecting, this is all very good food for thought. I was unaware of the price differentials of "new" (and pre-release) versus "older" (one month, six months, &c.). Looks like I should start looking at prices, and wait until the hype is over before purchasing. Basically I am just looking to build sets like I used to do, and am not so worried about parallels and all of the "extras" that are not part of the base sets. If I get them along the way, that is just a bonus.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Usually by the time I get around to selling things on the bay I've missed the high price window, even if I pre-ordered, so logically I should wait.

I like pre-ordering/getting in early because if I wait for 2-3 months I've seen a Crap-ton of the product either on box breaks here or on the bay... Probably the majority of parallels/inserts/autos, pictures of players on base cards... None of it would have that new/surprise factor that comes with the fun of ripping wax. When I wait a while I've found that I am most often disappointed due to the names on my hits etc... When I rip early (even if I got the same exact names) the excitement of the new cards keeps it enjoyable

The best way I can describe baseball cards would be the new stuff sells high because the demand is there people lose interest because the next new thing is out so the value drops and 10 to 20 years later people remember back to certain sets of hard to get items and the demand is back and people normally pay a lot for them as the supply is not there anymore because they are in someone’s house as a PC item or there collecting dust in somewhere waiting for someone to find them and sell them for top dollar once they realize what they have.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]