`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about 89 Topps Traded, Tiffany?

question about 89 Topps Traded, Tiffany?
I don't collect baseball but came across a 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr #41T from a friend. Some google searching tells me the only difference between the regular Topps Traded and the Tiffany version for 1989 is a glossy front. Is this correct? There were some theories about the *'s on the back, and colors on the back, but after some digging those seem to be irrelevant for 89.

I bought a cheap common card on eBay that "claims" to be a Tiffany version. My untrained eye doesn't see much difference. Is that the best route to go, just buy a bunch of commons until I can tell the difference? I don't have the price guide, but the Tiffany version of the Griffey might be pretty valuable?

RE: question about 89 Topps Traded, Tiffany?
The easiest way to tell if you have the card in hand is to look at the front of the card. The Tiffany version is glossy (similar to most cards put out in the last 10 years). An easy way to tell is look at the front and back and if they look the same in terms of glossiness then it's just a regular card. You can also feel the difference between the glossy and regular, so again you can feel the front and back and if they feel the same it's definitely a regular and not a Tiffany card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

In addition to the first post...I was told that there are some differences on the back of Topps Tiffany cards as well. Supposedly there are extra asterisks on the back of the card where it says Topps. Im not 100% certain on that but I have heard that from a few people.

If I remember right, I dont have any of my Tiffany's in front of me but the backs have a white look to them because of the stock of the card. Also if you hold it underneath a light it will reflect off it MUCH more than a non-tiffany
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

(01-11-2014, 02:57 PM)joba the clark Wrote: In addition to the first post...I was told that there are some differences on the back of Topps Tiffany cards as well. Supposedly there are extra asterisks on the back of the card where it says Topps. Im not 100% certain on that but I have heard that from a few people.
I don't think that's true, at least not for 89. both have 2 asterisks.
(01-11-2014, 01:13 PM)djohn Wrote: The easiest way to tell if you have the card in hand is to look at the front of the card. The Tiffany version is glossy (similar to most cards put out in the last 10 years). An easy way to tell is look at the front and back and if they look the same in terms of glossiness then it's just a regular card. You can also feel the difference between the glossy and regular, so again you can feel the front and back and if they feel the same it's definitely a regular and not a Tiffany card.
Thanks! can definitely feel the difference.

'89 tiffany backs are way brighter than the regulars... Not neon bright, but definitely a difference

https://www.beckett.com/news/how-to-iden...ar-method/

(01-22-2022, 07:15 PM)gabriel_layman Wrote: https://www.beckett.com/news/how-to-iden...ar-method/
Why would you revive an 8 year old thread to post a link to an article that specifically says it isn't helpful for 1989 Tiffany?

The "star method" doesn't work for 1989. You simply have to be able to discern the look and feel of a glossy Tiffany card, especially since the regular Traded sets also have a white back.

(01-11-2014, 12:33 PM)hercules21 Wrote: I don't collect baseball but came across a 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr #41T from a friend.  Some google searching tells me the only difference between the regular Topps Traded and the Tiffany version for 1989 is a glossy front.  Is this correct?  There were some theories about the *'s on the back, and colors on the back, but after some digging those seem to be irrelevant for 89.

I bought a cheap common card on eBay that "claims" to be a Tiffany version.  My untrained eye doesn't see much difference.  Is that the best route to go, just buy a bunch of commons until I can tell the difference?  I don't have the price guide, but the Tiffany version of the Griffey might be pretty valuable?
HERE is the best video showing the difference between the two.
https://youtu.be/JDAmi2_BI_E

I've also seen stories of a guy that fabricates 'Tiffany' versions out of the normal ones by applying something to the card.