`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time LCS visit

First time LCS visit
So today, After weeks of anticipation, I finally made it over to a shop that sells comics and cards. Mainly comics with a bunch of baseball and football with a small corner of hockey cards thrown in the corner and i must say, i was very disappointed. I hear stories of how awesome other card shops are and i was hoping for something, anything, i guess. The owner really didnt even converse with me. I was hugly disappointed in the product that was available. There was maybe 3-5 single cards for sale. clearly this store was not geared for hockey. There was a few packs of prizm, a few packs of score and upper deck. He had about 20-30 boxes of various boxes and packs from the late 90's - 2005-06 but i though the was asking way too much for it. I really wanted a chance at getting some select, but he refused to crack open a box for me so i could buy packs and i didnt want to spend the coin on a full box. He also refused to open a box of the trilogy. I looked at the packs, the racks, the small corner for probably 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what i wanted to do. Never once did he even offer any opinion. Clearly, i needed help. I was confused. I was lost. However, Knowing someday i'll walk into that store like i own the place because its the only place to sell hobby within 70 miles of me, (this was after all my first time, first time jitters i suppose) i wanted to spend some money and i always try to help a local store out. So, I liked the prizm before, So i decided to buy 4 packs at 7 dollars a pack. I told him i'd like the prizm, he took out the box. there was probably 5-10 packs left. He held out the box and i panicked. I froze. All these thoughts of pack searchers, rookie mistakes, choosing the right pack, last pack rule, flooded into my head so i grabbed the top 4 packs, handed him my cash and left. went to my car and drove home. Feeling like it was a complete waste and let down (granted i know it wasn't really a true card shop) i opened them up.

And suddenly, I have a new best friend. His name is Jean. I'd like you to meet him.
[Image: T2eC16ZQFIbRtQUFVBSRdkg3eTQ60_12_zps2fd7d923.jpg]

Have i told you the story of how much i love this little card shop that i went into today? What a lovely time i had. I think i'll go back tomorrow. Smile
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

RE: First time LCS visit
Nice pull. The guy that runs my LCS is kind of the same way. I guess he sells mostly baseball and seems upset when I ask about hockey stuff.
PC: Kovy-Hasek-Bure-Sanford-Low

Trading for:
00-01 SC Beam Team
01-02 YoungStars Gold
Tradelist
Photobucket

Wait until you become known as his "hockey guy" and it might get better for you.

The closest shop to me has 1 other "hockey guy" besides me. The owner a few hockey boxes, but doesn't seem to order more until what he has is gone. No high end stuff, so Artifacts and Certified are the best I can get there. His prices are consistently about $20 - $30 higher per box than the bigger shops and online, so while I try to support local when I can't always be the that guy. He is very pleasant and likes to talk about sports, so that is a big bonus.

Maybe you can help him out with his hockey section by asking to sell some of the cards you don't want through him - I have done this at a couple of smaller shops that are now out of business.

Congrats on the pull and good luck moving forward.

Nathan

My shop here is fantastic always has lots of people in it. Never hear about any hits, I suppose if it wasn't a Walmart it would be better.

Great pull on the Jean Beliveau, congrats.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

Nice pull. Im assuming this is the place in LO? I never had any luck there. What's sad is that I think I paid $7/pack for Pinnacle when it first came out (2010-11). ::Embarrassing::

@blueforzencank - HA! i love it. Suprisingly, My local target has really stepped it up. They've got blasters of select, black diamond, UD, artifacts, etc. Nice wide selection. But they're blasters....

@hockeynick - Yeah. it was the place there. You know the 2010-11 pinnacle you paid 7 dollars a pack for? They've still got them....still 7 dollars a pack Smile
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

But on the plus side I can buy groceries, and of course a coffee at the golden arches.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

Congrats on the nice auto pull!!!! Always a fun experience to find a new LCS to visit. I am the "Hockey Guy" at my LCS and love it as all the hockey I get first shot at which he gets in. Congrats!!!
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

That stinks that the owner of the shop refused to open boxes for you (missed out on some revenue there). I'm curious if he would have cut you a deal if you had purchased more (doubt it). I personally wouldn't go back, unless that particular shop were my only option for any hockey.

But, you got a nice hit at the end of the day.

Really nice auto congrats