`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milestone Game-Used Mailday! One Hero From the Past, One Minute-Man!

Milestone Game-Used Mailday! One Hero From the Past, One Minute-Man!
Before we get into the questions of what the milestone is on such a mailday, here it is. As of the 2012-13 season's conclusion, I now own memorabilia used by more than 1/20 of all goalies to ever play in the big-league from the beginning to now.

Now, let's get on with the show! First up, we have the first ever donated piece to my museum project. Obviously someone has faith in it so I definitely do not plan on letting them down. Donated by Wayne Wagner of Wayne's Sports Cards and Collectibles in Edmonton, Alberta, this piece is a Ron Low game-used Edmonton Oilers stick from either the 1980/81 season or the 1981/82 season. In his own right, Ron Low was a very steady goaltender in the good 'ole days of hockey. Originally drafted 103rd overall by the Maple Leafs in 1970, Low made his way around the league over the league from 1972-1985, playing for the Maple Leafs, Capitals, Red Wings, Nordiques, Oilers, and Devils before retiring and taking on coaching. He appeared in 382 career regular season games, and recorded a 102-203-38 record with 4 shutouts, a 4.28 GAA, and a 0.869 save average. As a member of the Oilers coaching staff, he also won the Stanley Cup with them in 1987 and 1990. A great piece of a goalie left in the shadows of the greats of era.

[Image: lowstick1_zps0ec1e850.jpg]

[Image: lowstick2_zpsa8f54798.jpg]

[Image: lowstick3_zps9f91b572.jpg]

[Image: lowstick4_zps776014d1.jpg]

[Image: lowstick5_zps29f021f8.jpg]

Next up is a piece I am quite excited about. No, the goalie to whom this once belonged did not set the world on fire with his amazing longevity in the league or his championship winning, but he is still someone who should be remembered. His name: Christian Soucy. As an undrafted all-star ECAC goaltender who was signed by the Blackhawks in 1993, there was little hope that he would ever make "the show", as they say. Toiling in the International Hockey League's Indianapolis Ice, the chance to make it up to the NHL shrunk by the day, especially with goalies like Ed Belfour and Jeff Hackett confidently taking care of the team's nets. However, in that 1993-94 season, with "The Eagle" out for four games with a sore hip, Soucy was given the call to back-up Jeff Hackett, still with no guarantees of ice-time. Then it happened. On March 31, 1994, Soucy was given the nod to replace Jeff Hackett in goal for a period of 3:21 against the Washington Capitals. He would be re-replaced afterwards and sent back down to the minors, never to return to "the show" ever again. He would play in various hockey leagues until 2002-03, before finally retiring from hockey. For that short span, however, he was among the greats, the best of the best to make it into the NHL staring down Byron Dafoe across the ice and, as of the end of the 2012-13 season, one of only 689 goaltenders to ever make the NHL since the beginning of the league. This game-used blocker was very likely used by him in that NHL stint, as well as during the 1994-95 Indianapolis Ice season. Marking on the blocker is consistent with his three NHL cards' depictions of his blocker. The blocker has curled and calcified into complete stiffness over the years, however, this remains a piece of history of one of the shortest NHL playing careers in goaltending history.

[Image: soucyblockertop_zpsd9cfbdd1.jpg]

[Image: soucyblockerleft_zps13a37f3c.jpg]

[Image: soucyblockerright_zps753f2cd2.jpg]

[Image: soucerblockerbottom_zps5601fc8d.jpg]

[Image: soucyblockername_zps41f11afa.jpg]

Earliest use of this blocker in the NHL, later used for the 1994-95 IHL season where it gained more marks.

[Image: soucycardsreference_zps5180e290.jpg]

I know that was a hefty read, but the history of every piece excites me to no end, that's why I make these posts! I want the world to know every goalie to ever make the league, from the biggest stars to the minute-men.