`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rant about 2013-14 Prizm

RE: Rant about 2013-14 Prizm
It's no different to what topps did with finest back in 2004-05/2005-06. How many different colors were available there? Not only were there up to 7 colors for the base refractors, you also had the same colors in the x-fractors. At least prizm is more affordable than finest was.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

I guess by the Panini Tyranny's "success" of finally releasing a set that reminded us collectors of Topps Chrome (which I was longing for some time), they decided it'd be in their best interest to quadruple up..quintuple up...heck sextuple up on alllllll of the Prizm parallels. Obliterating that "less is more" idiotic logic to smithereens. And what can I do about that? Listen to a track by Led Zeppelin called "Hey Hey What Can I do" and just go with the flow because there is no alternative in licensed NBA cards...and not for the foreseeable future.

I definitely hear you regarding making parallel's in the team's color. Here's a perfect example with this year's Prizm, I've seen countless numbers of Red Prizms, mind you now that I'm a Knicks collector...why oh why would I want a Red Prizm of a New York Knick player - past or present? It irks me so much, makes the card look off, I completely agree with you.

As far as the old school player's being in the product, I guess I simply lucked out being a Knicks fan/collector. Ray Williams & Dean Meminger passed away last year and have autos. in 13'14 Prizm. As well as Dick Barnett, who I only know & have one other autograph of his in a NYK uniform.

P.S. - What in the world happened to 13'14 Timeless Treasures? It lost it's tin case and it seems to have lost it's "mojo" as well but one thing it didn't lose is it's high pricing! Ekpe Udoh...definitely a "Timeless Treasure"..
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

I don't know man. I bought 3 hobby boxes last year of Prizm and didn't see anything and at the pricepoint that's kinda discouraging.

Also, keep in mind the fact that:

Hobby boxes carry: Purple /49 - Gold /10 - Black /1
Retail boxes carry: Green / Blue / RWB
Jumbo boxes carry: Light Blue / Orange / Gold / Black

For me it feels more like a hunt this year and I like it.

I had exactly the same thoughts about Prizm when I heard about the gluttony of prizm variations...

Last year was great just on how simple it was, green, gold and regular..

Way to take a great idea and kill it...
[Image: arod.gif]

While the recent release of Prizms is painful for player collectors such as myself, 2006-07 Topps Triple Threads was for more merciless.
[Image: main2.gif]

Dominique Wilkins Beckett Super Collector
http://www.hobbydisplay.com/rdleifriaf

@taffster74

To be honest, I checked out of the Hobby in early 2000. I did notice companies slowly introduce more parallels of refractors years later … I quietly bitched to myself. Last year, I went "all in" on collecting again, and I'm starting to notice some troubling trends that are making me rethink my rekindled obsession.

Also, just because Topps crapped their bed, doesn't mean Panini has to.

@vgqv

I feel your pain man.

@carrollm09

I could't agree more about the number of products forced out. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm thinking if they killed half of their products, people wouldn't even notice. Panini THREADS doesn't have jersey swatches or prime swatch cards, why does it exist? The most exciting insert is a wood on card autograph, cool card, but put it in another product.

Just imagine if there were less products diluting the market. More collectors would be chasing after the same insert chase sets, making those rare cards that much more in demand and valuable. Go figure.

We don't need 40 products with an overabundance of autographs. Chandler Parsons had 52 rookie autographs released last year. Kyrie Irving … 99 rookie autographs. How the hell are any of these cards supposed to maintain their value if they keep releasing new set after new set … after new set. Give the autographs a rest. Spend more on paper stock, printing technology and quality artists that can create some new and exciting inserts.

@freudinio

On paper. 3 different parallels in three different tiers to chase(retail/hobby/jumbo) sounds like it could be a good idea. But at least introduce a new style or theme of parallel. For example… Members Only Stamps (Stadium Club), Electric Courts (Upper Deck), SuperRaves (Z-Force) … hell, maybe just use the Mosaic effect and not the Prizm effect. It breaks the continuity of the perceived value of chase cards and inserts.

Last year greens prizms were hard to find, worth a lot more and had a precieved value to the customer. This year green prisms are a dime a dozen and flooding eBay. Well, what does that do to the precieved value of the greens from last year? It cheapens them and lessens their value from a buyers standpoint.

Stuffing your rack packs with Prizms in every pack destroys the idea that Prizms are rare and special. It's dumb.

I'm a "Refractor/Prizm Purest". Make them valuable again!

(01-10-2014, 08:09 PM)DeanStone Wrote: @taffster74

To be honest, I checked out of the Hobby in early 2000. I did notice companies slowly introduce more parallels of refractors years later … I quietly bitched to myself. Last year, I went "all in" on collecting again, and I'm starting to notice some troubling trends that are making me rethink my rekindled obsession.

Also, just because Topps crapped their bed, doesn't mean Panini has to.

@vgqv

I feel your pain man.

@carrollm09

I could't agree more about the number of products forced out. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm thinking if they killed half of their products, people wouldn't even notice. Panini THREADS doesn't have jersey swatches or prime swatch cards, why does it exist? The most exciting insert is a wood on card autograph, cool card, but put it in another product.

Just imagine if there were less products diluting the market. More collectors would be chasing after the same insert chase sets, making those rare cards that much more in demand and valuable. Go figure.

We don't need 40 products with an overabundance of autographs. Chandler Parsons had 52 rookie autographs released last year. Kyrie Irving … 99 rookie autographs. How the hell are any of these cards supposed to maintain their value if they keep releasing new set after new set … after new set. Give the autographs a rest. Spend more on paper stock, printing technology and quality artists that can create some new and exciting inserts.

@freudinio

On paper. 3 different parallels in three different tiers to chase(retail/hobby/jumbo) sounds like it could be a good idea. But at least introduce a new style or theme of parallel. For example… Members Only Stamps (Stadium Club), Electric Courts (Upper Deck), SuperRaves (Z-Force) … hell, maybe just use the Mosaic effect and not the Prizm effect. It breaks the continuity of the perceived value of chase cards and inserts.

Last year greens prizms were hard to find, worth a lot more and had a precieved value to the customer. This year green prisms are a dime a dozen and flooding eBay. Well, what does that do to the precieved value of the greens from last year? It cheapens them and lessens their value from a buyers standpoint.

Stuffing your rack packs with Prizms in every pack destroys the idea that Prizms are rare and special. It's dumb.

I'm a "Refractor/Prizm Purest". Make them valuable again!
Haha I get you. Looks like I am in the clear minority. Though I am excited to have more packs to chose from this year. Being from europe, getting retail packs was near impossible, without having to resort loose (read; searched) packs on ebay. This year, I can actually buy Jumbo and Hobby boxes at my favorite online vendor. Retail packs still remain a hard to get item for me.

Are the retail prizm's serialnumbered?

(01-10-2014, 08:52 PM)freudinio Wrote: Haha I get you. Looks like I am in the clear minority. Though I am excited to have more packs to chose from this year. Being from europe, getting retail packs was near impossible, without having to resort loose (read; searched) packs on ebay. This year, I can actually buy Jumbo and Hobby boxes at my favorite online vendor. Retail packs still remain a hard to get item for me.

Are the retail prizm's serialnumbered?

Unfortunately, no. It looks like majority of the retail Prizms are not numbered. I don't know, maybe I wouldn't of been so chapped up if they were. If there was some kind of way to tell the difference in value or rarity. Having 6 parallels that are basically equal still boggles my mind. I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.

At any rate, I feel like I should at least be fair after all of my bitching. I finally got my hands on a gold Prizm, and I'll be damned if it's not one of the sexiest cards out there. TOO. DAMN. COOL.

I'll post a pic later.

If you think Prizm is bad.... Here's a bit of 2013 NFL for you ...
2013 Bowman - base, Black, blue, gold, green, purple, red, Rainbow Black, Rainbow Blue, Rainbow gold, rainbow orange, rainbow prizm, rainbow purple, rainbow red, Silver Ice, Silver Ice Green, Silver Ice Red...

That's 17 different cards to get ... and from Topps. Now, if you were to collect a rookie in the NFL, you've also the following Bowman Chrome Cards to get ....

2013 Bowman Chrome Rookie autographs Gold Refractors, Blue refractors, Orange refractors, red refractors, refractors.... so for a rookie you have 22 different cards - at the least.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Let's be honest here, we all know that Panini has gone for quantity against quality in most if not all their products. I wouldn't have such a big problem with quantity if the quality was there to justified it.
And I want to make clear I'm not defending Prizm, because I do feel they tried to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. But at least the Prizm sets can distract me with their pretty colors. How can they justified the 2012-13 Signature (I tried I can not)? Even the autos all look the same.